Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    Since when?
    He's in favor of the light rail fan and a regional authority, but it has to be OC's way or the highway, which means everyone else but Oakland County pays. But of course, it's not like he, or any of the other Big 4 Leaders, tried to work with the House to work out a RTA Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    Since when?
    Since back in September or so. All of the 'Big 4' were together, and said is was a go. L. Brooks has never spoken out against it, even when an OC leg was proposed. It isn't going to hurt Oakland County, which is a common misconception, and he knows that. The whole line will see economic development, even on the Oakland County leg. Another common misconception is that everyone will pack up and leave the suburbs for the city. This couldn't be further from the truth. There will certainly be a few businesses that head back into the city, but mostly, this line is a long term economic development tool. Redevelopment in the city will take 10-20 years before the extent of the impact is known. The lack of light-rail has hurt this whole region, not just Detroit, and even L. Brooks knows that. It has scared away businesses looking to open a location in Metro-Detroit, which is where Oakland County loses. One or more of the auto manufacturers are really the only ones that are known to be against it, which is nothing new.

The rail line is part of a $10.5 billion plan over 25-35 years, that encompasses all of the three counties, and the board that oversees it will have a representative from each county, so L. Brooks will still have his say.

The hope is, that much of the money made off of the line can be put back into it for expansion. The biggest issue with OC is funding, and not a whole lot of it will come from them, that has already been mentioned. But L. Brooks is certainly not against the idea.

I had never really heard that L. Brooks was not opposed to light rail. However, I don't know if his OC constituents share in that opinion. There should be some better PR work by the M1 line's major backers explaining to Metro Detroiters how the eventual building of a comprehensive transit system will benefit the region. Then again, that might just stir up the do-nothing, negative nancies that will repeat "we don't need dem ter mass transits, my tax monay ain't payin fa yoar train."

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I had never really heard that L. Brooks was not opposed to light rail. However, I don't know if his OC constituents share in that opinion. There should be some better PR work by the M1 line's major backers explaining to Metro Detroiters how the eventual building of a comprehensive transit system will benefit the region. Then again, that might just stir up the do-nothing, negative nancies that will repeat "we don't need dem ter mass transits, my tax monay ain't payin fa yoar train."
    The thing about it is, that very little money will come from taxes locally if it all goes to plan. The vast majority of the initial investment [[$125M) is from the major backers. Another $75-80M needed to be raised locally, and has been, Kresge Foundation etc. Even the Ford Foundation has said that they will contribute something as part of a nationwide effort to contribute to urban mass transit. So most of the initial investment is private. The majority of tax dollars will be coming from the federal government. My opinion on that is that if we don't take it, someone else will, so we may as well take it because it isn't going to be going back into our pockets. As for a subsidy in the state operating budget, that wouldn't take effect until the line is turned over to a regional authority, which is after it is up and running, and that subsidy may not need to be that much, depending upon ridership.

Not many people have room to complain right now, in terms of taxes taken for the project, because there aren't many. The only thing they can do is to stop buying Little Caesars Pizzas or cars from Penske or taking out home loans from Quicken. Otherwise, at least the first part will happen, and with the federal government matching dollar for dollar, it will really soften the blow, especially if this thing can generate some serious revenue itself.

It can't generate revenue, at least not directly. There is no public transit system in North America that pays the cost of its own operation out of the farebox; they all require money from somewhere else to operate, and that's been one of the sticking points.

What they DO in terms of money is generate economic redevelopment on and near the line, and in most cases this is quite impressive, and tax-increment financing from the nearby redevelopments can help pay for operations.

This says it all "LaHood's office said this morning that nothing is scheduled" in other words maybe, by 2012 we might possibly have some type of non car thing, transit but were not sure just yet but we'll let you know. '99,2000,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09'2010. ..and counting.

Mr. Milliken knows the story well: In 1976, while he was governor, U.S. Transportation Secretary William Coleman offered $600 million in federal funds to build regional transportation in southeast Michigan. But distrust between the largely white suburbs and largely African-American Detroit doomed the proposal.
    “It would have brought people together, to and from every point of the region,” Mr. Milliken laments. “It would have helped people get to jobs.”

Actually counting since 1976!

http://www.mlui.org/growthmanagement...p?fileid=16918

Maybe Detroit can get Kevin Costner and Madonna to film a movie and call it Train of Dreams. If you build it they will come. lol!

L. Brooks Patterson is far less of an M1 Rail supporter than he says. True supporters of M1 Rail into Oakland County would not be strongly advocating for a $1 billion project to add a lane to I-75.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    This says it all "LaHood's office said this morning that nothing is scheduled"
    Tallboy, where is this from? I can't find it.

Honestly, though, I am about ready to just go outside and start building mass transit myself. How hard can it be? Anybody on DY an engineer? I can help with the paperwork and manual labor while I'm still young.

I'm done with taking it to committee.

I'm not much for conspiracy theories about Detroit, but at this point it's easier to believe a conspiracy than the reality that we can't get a few bucks to build 4 miles of track down Woodward when other cities are getting BILLIONS.

Ilitch, Karmanos, Gilbert, and Penske should take that $125 mil and buy the Millenium Force from Cedar Point. Stretch that bad boy out along Woodward and we'll show the world some f***ing RAPID transit!!!

Another thought, just buy the whole park. Lay the Magnum out down Gratiot, and the Top Thrill Dragster down Michigan Avenue. Only question is, where to put the Corkskrew...???

This says it all "LaHood's office said this morning that nothing is scheduled" in other words maybe, by 2012 we might possibly have some type of non car thing, transit but were not sure just yet but we'll let you know. '99,2000,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09'2010. ..and counting.
    You ignored the paragraph right about it which explains the response from LaHood's office.

Details and a date for the announcement are still to be confirmed, said Karen Dumas, chief communications officer for Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, in an e-mail this morning.

DetroitDad Guest

I'm not much for conspiracy theories about Detroit, but at this point it's easier to believe a conspiracy than the reality that we can't get a few bucks to build 4 miles of track down Woodward when other cities are getting BILLIONS.

Ilitch, Karmanos, Gilbert, and Penske should take that $125 mil and buy the Millenium Force from Cedar Point. Stretch that bad boy out along Woodward and we'll show the world some f***ing RAPID transit!!!

Another thought, just buy the whole park. Lay the Magnum out down Gratiot, and the Top Thrill Dragster down Michigan Avenue. Only question is, where to put the Corkskrew...???
    120mph down Michigan Avenue in three or four seconds would be interesting.

It would probably break down a lot like it does at Cedar Point

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    120mph down Michigan Avenue in three or four seconds would be interesting.
    Haha. It would definitely be a way for Detroit to do things different. Really show people that we are thinking outside the box. Detroit's always been known for speed. I think you could market this one to the suburbs if you could guarantee that they could get from Canton to downtown Detroit in 9.48 minutes. Granted, wind goggles would be provided for a nominal fee.

Lets make it happen!

Watching the news tonight, Carolyn Kilpatrick said at the debate that Sec. LaHood would be in town next Monday to make the announcement. I'm pretty geeked about seeing that press conference - and possibly new renderings?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Watching the news tonight, Carolyn Kilpatrick said at the debate that Sec. LaHood would be in town next Monday to make the announcement. I'm pretty geeked about seeing that press conference - and possibly new renderings?
    http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=164301&page=4

In the middle of the page above, there are a few somewhat recent renderings.

Tallboy, where is this from? I can't find it.

Honestly, though, I am about ready to just go outside and start building mass transit myself. How hard can it be? Anybody on DY an engineer? I can help with the paperwork and manual labor while I'm still young.

I'm done with taking it to committee.
    That's easy or it would have been had they NOT paved over the rail lines. The Dequindre trail had 2 rail lines and they made it into a walking/bike trail from the abandoned river front to Mack and Jefferson/ Woodward had rail lines on them as well.

As I've said before the best they could do is extend a people mover type thing up to The New Center throuhg Wayne State and the medical center.

That's easy or it would have been had they NOT paved over the rail lines. The Dequindre trail had 2 rail lines and they made it into a walking/bike trail from the abandoned river front to Mack and Jefferson/ Woodward had rail lines on them as well.

As I've said before the best they could do is extend a people mover type thing up to The New Center throuhg Wayne State and the medical center.
    Yeah. Shortsighted as usual. Of all the other things they could have torn up around town...

DetroitDad Guest

Yeah, but the right of way is saved for future use.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; July-27-10 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Yeah, but the right of way is saved for future use.
    aaaaggghhhh!

But they paved over a rail line to save it to use later?

There's no connectivity in the Detroit system except for the freeways, cities smaller than Detroit have a better bus system, a better bike trail system.

aaaaggghhhh!

But they paved over a rail line to save it to use later?

There's no connectivity in the Detroit system except for the freeways, cities smaller than Detroit have a better bus system, a better bike trail system.
    The Non-motorized plan currently being implemented, rather quietly, is pretty extensive, and should have an impact.

The lack of transit is key, and much more important than a few abandoned freight lines. Rail lines connecting neighborhoods is what will bring real connectivity. Bikes are great, but in Michigan they are not practical year round. Even if we have the best non-motorized system in the country, we still will lack connectivity because we are missing the critical element of mass transit, which means a hell of a lot more than buses. Buses efficiently take you short distances, but are not good for cross town. Our city/metro is severely sprawled so we need more than buses to connect it.

Hey everyone, I've received an email stating that DTOGS/Woodward Light Rail and Mayor Dave Bing invite you to welcome Sec. Ray Lahood and Admin. Peter M. Rogoff for a major annoucement regarding the future of light rail in Detroit on Monday, August 2, 2010 at 10 am @ the Detroit Institute of Arts.
    RSVP: 313-872-2202 or woodwardlightrail@bergmuirhead.com

This can only be good. They wouldn't send the Big Guy to tell us all that the project has fallen through, but that the people mover will be getting a new paint job so we should all be happy!

In an Detroit News column today about the Kresge Foundation, Rip Rapson mentions this piece of upcoming good news:

"An appearance here by the U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood next Monday awarding a $25 million federal grant to spur development of a largely privately funded light rail line from the Riverfront to the New Center."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100729/...#ixzz0v5wskewl

Is it just me, or is that sum a little low? I'm hoping for a federal commitment for the whole DTOGS project out to 8 Mile, not just the starter leg. I guess we'll see.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast