Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

His slight stature made that reality show audition video all the more ridiculous...that and, nobody with a white moustache is a tough guy. Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    Was anybody else who saw pictures of Evan's DPD girlfriend a little creeped out at how she bears more than just a passing resemblance to his former wife, Ella Bully Cummings?
    Yeah. I was creeped out about that. The first thing I thought of when I saw her.

In wondering why Evans got canned some things initially didn't make sense. Why was Bing not giving up information about why he did what he did. In looking at the video it looked Evans could be called up on the carpet and had his hand slapped but not fired ! The girlfriend is problematical but there's nothing on the books that makes it so he can't do it.

He seemed to be doing his job

maybe it was mayor Bing being mayor Bing ego and all. Folks have said his company was like a revolving door and it looks like his inner circle within the city such as Beckham jumping ship is the same way. After all the mayor isn't the warm and fuzzy administrator like you see on TV

Why would Evans say Bing knew about the video, yet Bing says he was blindslided by it.

I'm venturing a guess that its Bing trying to be proactive and mininize the damage thats going to be heaped on Detroit when Fieger wins his lawsuit.
    Fieger is probably going to put out there that Evans with his aggressive police style created a culture that allowed the tragedy to happen. Then he would back it up with the video which no one ever figured would see the light of day.
    So the mayor , who back in the winter when the video was made was probably ok with it had to act when the video came out or else it could be said he was on-board with the way the chief was doing things

Since it now looks like mayor Bing lied and doesn't want to be a one-term mayor a hit like that could hurt him politically.

I liked Evans aggressive police style, its too bad that shooting happen. But the reality is when you take a lawsuit like that to a Wayne county court its like hitting the lottery.

Bing probably wants to make sure the winning ticket is a lotto 47 and not a powerball.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You're just now realizing that? The city's been crooked for as long as I can remember. Despite all you've heard about Chicago, it could never be as crooked as Detroit.
    No, I didn't just realize this. I was just making a statement if you don't mind.

Ive read everything in the papers and the reasons for firing him sound week.As far as transferring a PO why would the Mayors office get involved? I think their will be a lot more to this story. Everything Ive read about the new Chief sounds shaky,He had 2 Illegal fund raisers for Kwamy ! he spent most of his time on the Mayors personal protection unit,resigned under Cockrel and was rehired by Bing.I am starting to wonder about Bing.

Bobby Wobby,

I've been against him from the start, but am starting to wonder if he's actually doing GOOD.

We heard about him rehiring many of Kwhyme's idiots, but that may have been a ploy to get them to reveal others in their conspiracy to defraud the citizens of Detroit and embezzle anyone who dares imagine investing in this town.

Then I heard about some VERY quiet consulting he's done with the ONLY decent man we've had as mayor...Dennis Archer...and hope that he DOES have the best interests of the citizens at heart.

I thought that move to force the Council's hand back to the table with the budget was a bit...sophisticated...for an old b-ball player. My bet is that move was encouraged by Archer and other more savvy politicos...because it WAS brilliant. Close 77 parks and get the populace to protest.

Bing may have been put in place by the powers who sought to maintain their control over the city...but even pawns have free will, and this one may have realized he was being played.

This is ONLY a guess on my part, but that news about Archer having his ear has me very interested in watching the anti-progress fools lose their gravy-train.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I thought that [Bing's] move to force the Council's hand back to the table with the budget was a bit...sophisticated...for an old b-ball player. My bet is that move was encouraged by Archer and other more savvy politicos...because it WAS brilliant.
    Bing is much more than an old b-ball player who would need to have Archer school him on how to negotiate strategically. Say what you will about Bing, he is an intelligent, savvy businessman in his own right.

Then say MORE about him and let us all learn.

I can only have my conclusions based on the data at hand.

Evans was treating his girlfriend differently than the other officers that were her peers. The A and E shooting will cost the city millions and the recipients were hiding a fugitive. Evans was trying to go " Hollywood" . A lot of questionabe tactics. That weird self promoting video showed his huge ego. An ego that put himself first before the citizens.

I can only have my conclusions based on the data at hand.
    I'll bite...what "data" do you have that supports the notion that Dave is just "an old b-ball player" who needs Archer to do his thinking for him? Or that a "brilliant" move by Dave must have been orchestrated by Archer?

Is that based on "data" or just an assumption you made?

11. Default

A good man and a government employee that actually produced results instead of sitting in his office. Yeah, run him out. Let's see the replacement run two shifts a week on the street like Evans. Officers that I talked to appreciated being recognized for their contributions. People in the neighborhoods appreciated the increased street presence of officers. Good luck to the replacement, BTW get Mayoral approval of everything in writing.

Is there any idea who Mayor Bing is looking at as the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    A good man and a government employee that actually produced results instead of sitting in his office. Yeah, run him out. Let's see the replacement run two shifts a week on the street like Evans. Officers that I talked to appreciated being recognized for their contributions. People in the neighborhoods appreciated the increased street presence of officers. Good luck to the replacement, BTW get Mayoral approval of everything in writing.
    The crazy video says it all bud.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Is there any idea who Mayor Bing is looking at as the replacement?
    Probably Mike Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Probably Mike Cox.
    Don't. Do. That.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    I'll bite...what "data" do you have that supports the notion that Dave is just "an old b-ball player" who needs Archer to do his thinking for him? Or that a "brilliant" move by Dave must have been orchestrated by Archer?

Is that based on "data" or just an assumption you made?

You are still no lady.

I asked politely for you to ADD to the data so we could all learn, yet you want to continue fighting over bullshit.

You are a piece of work. Won't play into your divisive idiocy, sorry.

Cheers

Ravine Guest

I don't want to get very far into this discussion, other than to say that I strongly feel that we don't know anywhere near all of what is behind the, er, ah, dismissal of Evans.
    Bobby Wobby's comment, about having read the newspaper reports and the reasons sounding weak, is understandable enough, and I think that is a big part of our problem, here: the local media probably don't really have the actual low-down, themselves, but they felt as though they had to print up something, and I'm willing to allow for the possibility that they did the best they could with what they had, but didn't have much. So yeah, based on what we got from the media, the reasons may sound weak.
    Here on DY, it is common to fire up a thread, such as this one, where a topic is presented and all kinds of wild opinionating & reckless speculation follows [[with the usual dash of "I'm pretending to know some secrets which I'm not at liberty to divulge but all will be made clear later and I will say I Told You So even though I haven't told you a damned thing" posturing,) but the local media should be above that, and it wouldn't hurt to occasionally just report the known facts and admit to not having anywhere near all of the back-story.

I have met this guy before.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    FROM THE FREE PRESS:

"Ralph Godbee

Education: Associate's degree from Wayne County Community College District, 2000; bachelor's degree in criminal justice/law enforcement administration from Siena Heights University, 2000; master's degree from Siena Heights University, 2006
    Experience: Joined the Detroit Police Department in 1987; promoted to rank of sergeant and assigned as commanding officer of the Executive Protection Unit in 1995; promoted to the rank of lieutenant and assigned commanding officer of the recruiting unit in 1999; assigned as the acting commander of the First Precinct and was, subsequently, appointed to the rank of inspector and then to the rank of commander assigned to oversee the Ninth Precinct in 2002; promoted to deputy chief in 2005; named assistant chief in 2007; retired from the department in September 2008 to pursue a career in consulting; rehired July 2009 as the assistant chief of administrative portfolio.
    Personal: One daughter; wife Yolanda Godbee"

Ravine Guest

Great.
    Firm handshake, or Dead Fish?

You are still no lady.

I asked politely for you to ADD to the data so we could all learn, yet you want to continue fighting over bullshit.

You are a piece of work. Won't play into your divisive idiocy, sorry.

Cheers
    Haha, I see what you did there. I disagreed with you so you said that I'm not a lady. Even though I disagreed with you politely. Aw, that's cute.

You know Gannon, for a peace loving guy, you sure do like to attack. To be honest, any time I disagree with you, I hesitate to post it on this board, since I know your attack is imminent. And voila!

How can I ADD to the data when there is no data to add to? You've provided none but I'm supposed to ADD to it? [[And you want me to not just "add" to the data but to "ADD" to it.) I politely asked you what you were basing your conclusion on and this is your response? And I'm the one guilty of "divisive idiocy"? Whatever.

Look, I worked for Dave's company. I worked in the executive offices. For three years I watched him in his day-to-day running of the company. I saw a man that was more than just "an old b-ball player" as you so dismissively stereotyped him. I saw an intelligent, ethical, hard-working, honest, strategic businessman. I'm sorry that I cannot quote for you chapter and verse everything that transpired during those three years, but I know that I was impressed with his intellect, his business acumen and his work ethic. He is no-nonsense and he doesn't tolerate games.

I am not a close, personal friend of his -- I was just an employee so I am not providing a biased opinion.

Now that I have responded politely to your bully tactics [[which they definitely are), could you please be so kind as to supply the "data" that leads you to the conclusion that Dave needs Dennis Archer to make strategic decisions for him?

Failing to do that, could you please at least refrain from further unnecessarily attacking me for having a difference of opinion from you? Thank you.

Just wondering how the search for the next Police Chief is coming along. Must be pretty damn thorough, as Bing sure is taking his time to examine resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Just wondering how the search for the next Police Chief is coming along. Must be pretty damn thorough, as Bing sure is taking his time to examine resumes.
    Where have you been?? He already named Godbee as his chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Where have you been?? He already named Godbee as his chief.
    The last I had heard he named him interm chief & had stated he was not a candidate for the job. That an exhaustive search would be conducted. I would have thought there may have been a bit of criticism [[well deserved) if after that exhaustive search the best man in the world to lead the department in keepig the streets safe turned out to be Kwame's pal who has his own text scandal.

The "exhaustive search" led to Godbee being named Chief of Police on a permanent basis.

on a permanent basis.
    Permanent until somebody decides they don't want him there any more which could be days or weeks if history is any indicator.

Maybe the police chief should be an elected position or a civil service position with approval or more than one person so it won't be an appointee "yes-boss", "no-boss" stooge.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast