Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Dahmerism?

Is that where the strong EAT the weak?!

[[got a friend renting the old Dahmer family home down in Akron, oddly enough)

The way I read it, as a rule, the strong EAT the weak and are THE VICTIMS! That'd be tough to explain to the family of one of Dahmer's eh, meals.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    ...lynch mobs...
    Ha! Yeah, we should have lynch mobs. Very funny! That is so NOT what I was saying. There is such a thing as legalized executions [[currently available in 35 states) and corporal punishment [[currently available in many other countries, and quite effective, I might add).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to bleach my hood.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Ha! Yeah, we should have lynch mobs. Very funny! That is so NOT what I was saying. There is such a thing as legalized executions [[currently available in 35 states) and corporal punishment [[currently available in many other countries, and quite effective, I might add).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to bleach my hood.
    Retroit, be careful, the hood can be a unforgiving place.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    DetroitDad wrote: [ quote=DetroitDad;165965]Only a psychopath would want to bash someone's head in for no reason, or stick someone up in a parking lot for a cell phone and $100, just for fun. There are way too many violent offenders in prison or on parole for that. Try to visualize things from within a criminal's shoes. Aren't they all victims? Who [[or more like what) are we ever really criticizing or smirking at?

I hope that I'm overreacting to this statement because, as written, it sounds batshit crazy. When I read this I thought it was a joke or an attempt at satire, perhaps just a segue to an interpretation of the message of the Nirvana inspired picture [[the real cover doesn't have a shark in it). To the later point, it seems you are talking some sort of morally mixed, State of Nature-criminals as victims-meshed with Rand hybrid philosophy where not only do the strongest survive, the strongest are the victims, with a direct relationship between the relative sizes of strengh and victim. It would be related to Narcissism, I suppose. Dahmerism, perhaps?
    Who really knows? Likely I'm just an idiot who liked a picture!

We MUST not release more prisoners of the current system. Fix it first. The system is broken [[as you state) and many of those currently incarcerated have a high recidivism rate, evidenced by this guy, selectively picking an area of perceived sitting ducks...

And not doubt doing his share of crime in the city as well [[these types are not loyal to give Detroiter citizens a break). This is especially true in many areas that border the Points.

With the declining economic climate here in Michigan combined with drastic cuts in social service and mental health organizations there is no infrastructure to integrate serial criminals back into society. And we've had crimes committed [[urban and suburban) lately by those recently released from prison.

And those bent on resume their life of crime feel fully "justified" and free to continue plying the criminal behavior immediately. But fewer people will continue to be "wiling victims" in this arcade of crime: picked off one at a time in their homes [[city or suburb), going to and from the dry cleaners, grocer...

Who can justify this? I cannot. I am a working stiff living in the city and going in and out of the burbs daily. Should I be salved to feel ok if I am car jacked because of some politic?

There are going to be shoot-outs [[and NOT in the usual places, but coming to the burbs)... as people respond. Not good times. The Jenny Granholm experiment of early release is a disaster.

And the procedure and requirement for parole needs to be reviewed. This man should not have been paroled.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    We need to release more prisoners. We need to create fewer prisoners in the first place. We need more alternative sentencing. We need more house arrest. We need more effective probation. The current system is ineffective and very expensive.

Having said that, 31 year olds previously convicted of armed robbery probably wouldn't be my first choice for parole.

For people interested in this topic, let me plug Kleiman's When Brute Force Fails again.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-10 at 06:42 AM.

Good that this information is public access....
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis...cNumber=400530

Looks like he did 8 years of a 15 year sentence for armed robbery and carjacked a victim within days of going on paraole.

DetroitDad Guest

Default I Apologize For Being Me....!?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Geez JL, I'm sorry your friend got banged on his head. I'm sorry that I don't think your friend's incident is reason enough to say that Detroit's entire bus system is unfit for human habitation. I'm sorry that I think "shit happens". And I'm sorry that you think I'm an asshole because "shit happens".

Can we be friends now?
    Don't bother trying to explain things to them, or getting offended or apologetic. They're playing a completely different game. I don't even have to say it, or say anything bad about him/them. The post in the Armed Robery at Red Coat thread speaks volumes about his intentions.

I am perfectly well aware that wasn't what you were saying, as should have been clear from what I wrote, and I didn't claim you said that. It appeared from what you wrote that you believe that more severe punishments would be an effective way to lower the crime rate. I was merely pointing out that there isn't much if any evidence for that in the context of the US judicial system, and without changing that system [[or going around it, by using extra-judicial punishments like lynching) changing the punishments isn't likely to accomplish much. That doesn't mean either of us support lynching.

Incidentally, you didn't suggest corporal punishment; you said
    hang people or chop off body parts.
    There are definitely arguments for corporal punishment, but it is still a punishment-side approach, and isn't likely to have much impact in isolation from changes to the rest of the criminal justice system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3