Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Yes, I'm stalking you. Because you barely ever post here, and I'd have to go out of my way to find an example of you rushing to defend Detroit.
    Geez JL, I'm sorry your friend got banged on his head. I'm sorry that I don't think your friend's incident is reason enough to say that Detroit's entire bus system is unfit for human habitation. I'm sorry that I think "shit happens". And I'm sorry that you think I'm an asshole because "shit happens".

Can we be friends now?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Geez JL, I'm sorry your friend got banged on his head. I'm sorry that I don't think your friend's incident is reason enough to say that Detroit's entire bus system is unfit for human habitation. I'm sorry that I think "shit happens". And I'm sorry that you think I'm an asshole because "shit happens".

Can we be friends now?
    I see, you think I'm holding a grudge from another thread, and don't realize I'm just pointing out that you're exhibiting more knee-jerk defensiveness. Not that it could be possible that I noticed the trend over the course of the past near decade we've both been reading this forum.

Also, show me where I ever said the guy getting hit on the head = the entire bus system is unsafe. You can do it over on the relevant thread if you like. Other dummies did that, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I see, you think I'm holding a grudge from another thread, and don't realize I'm just pointing out that you're exhibiting more knee-jerk defensiveness.
    Yeah, likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, likely story.
    If nobody could argue with you again after arguing with you somewhere else, there'd be no posts on this entire forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I've been spending quite a bit of time in GPP lately, and can say the police attentiveness is outstanding. In the rare instances I've been on Mack after midnight, the stare-down from passing officers is quite intimidating, but now that they recognize the car I've gotten a few nods of welcome.

My friend lives two blocks away from Mack...and about a half mile from Alter. Only time I've seen anyone pulled over for anything other than a speed trap has been a local boy on a Vespa without license plates...at ONE in the morning. He was taken away by an unmarked car with absolutely NO disturbance to the neighborhood at all.

In Dearborn? That would've been probably three cars all with blazing red-blue lights on top...waking up the whole damn block.

So far, I'm impressed with GPP's police, but am amazed that this little enclave can exist merely blocks away from some of the worst neighborhoods in the city.
    I need to add one thing...the boy's Vespa did NOT get impounded, and sat on the street overnight, with his helmut hanging on the handlebars...until it was retrieved the next day.

Again, in many cities, it would've been impounded and the owner charged with a huge fee for towing and storage. So, I'm guessing these officers have a bit of heart, too.

I'm deeply disappointed in DetroitYes over the last couple of years. We need to bring the old cast back. The LivernoisYards, Great Lakes, etc. They knew how to throw a party. None of this "let's be friends" nonsense. They kept it entertaining and you got the sense that they really believed the silliness they typed.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Bingo.

I think Detroit supporters have joined the "suburbs are bliss" group and sit back and smirk when crime happens out there. Unlike the city basher's though, I think the city supporters do it to point out crime happens everywhere. The anti-Detroit crowd tend to do it just to be spiteful and, perhaps, show their racism.
    You need help. Anyone who "sits back and smirks" when crime happens anywhere is a very sick-minded individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I'm deeply disappointed in DetroitYes over the last couple of years. We need to bring the old cast back. The LivernoisYards, Great Lakes, etc. They knew how to throw a party. None of this "let's be friends" nonsense. They kept it entertaining and you got the sense that they really believed the silliness they typed.

Specially those party animals ccbatson. Citylove, Craig D and Karl....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    You need help. Anyone who "sits back and smirks" when crime happens anywhere is a very sick-minded individual.
    Try looking in the mirror, Big Fella!

You continuously post smug comments, and sit back and smirk while Detroit and Detroiter's work hard everyday to make the "D" a better place, all the while from a place far removed from "the big bad city".

Continue smirking, little man.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; July-21-10 at 09:42 PM.

I recommend that everyone on DetroitYES should get a CCW/CPL

DetroitDad Guest

Default Ground Zero

Misery loves company.

If Detroit 1950 was our country's lungs, than the main reason I am a positive advocate of Detroit was because I arrived, and admittedly bought into an idea. That idea was that our country caught lung cancer. Furthermore, even though some of us make light of the local regional divides, there is obviously no line between any community in Detroit. The twisted humor was always in the irony that other parts of the organism were making fun of the lungs for catching cancer. They say that "the unfortunate fate of the ridiculous is to be ridiculed", and that view was utterly ridiculous and harmful to most of us.

So, if misery loves company, than maybe the answer could be to go back to ground zero? Either way, the time for ridicule is probably over. It seems that a number of people seem to think it's time to switch discussions from "suburbia/Detroit sucks" to "what are we going to do about it?".

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Misery loves company.
    Hence DetroitYES negative threads always get the most activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I recommend that everyone on DetroitYES should get a CCW/CPL
    According the the lastest Michigan State Police statistics 2008-9 there were about 100,000 CPL's in the tri county area and about 18,000 being added per year. Got mine.....At that rate it won't take long for this to be a wild west scenerio.....

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Try looking in the mirror, Big Fella!

You continuously post smug comments, and sit back and smirk while Detroit and Detroiter's work hard everyday to make the "D" a better place, all the while from a place far removed from "the big bad city".

Continue smirking, little man.
    There is a big difference between criticizing criminals and smirking at victims. Everyone, but especially Detroiters, should be angry about the high level of crime in Detroit. Neither I nor any suburbanite that I know is smug with the level of crime in Detroit.

bartock Guest

They caught a suspect. 31 year old...eh, from Detroit. Apparently believed to be a serial thing. Tough guy pistol whipped a 50 year old woman in the face in Roseville and was caught this afternoon.

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis...cNumber=400530

Looks like he did 8 years of a 15 year sentence for armed robbery and carjacked a victim within days of going on paraole.

Nice. Paroled Tuesday, carjacks on Sunday. Let's release more prisoners.

We need to release more prisoners. We need to create fewer prisoners in the first place. We need more alternative sentencing. We need more house arrest. We need more effective probation. The current system is ineffective and very expensive.

Having said that, 31 year olds previously convicted of armed robbery probably wouldn't be my first choice for parole.

For people interested in this topic, let me plug Kleiman's When Brute Force Fails again.

Retroit Guest

We need to start hanging these bastards or chop off body parts!

DetroitDad Guest

Default He's got a one way ticket to....

There is a big difference between criticizing criminals and smirking at victims. Everyone, but especially Detroiters, should be angry about the high level of crime in Detroit. Neither I nor any suburbanite that I know is smug with the level of crime in Detroit.
    Only a psychopath would want to bash someone's head in for no reason, or stick someone up in a parking lot for a cell phone and $100, just for fun. There are way too many violent offenders in prison or on parole for that. Try to visualize things from within a criminal's shoes. Aren't they all victims? Who [[or more like what) are we ever really criticizing or smirking at?

We need to start hanging these bastards or chop off body parts!
    Sigh... Nevermind.

We need to start hanging these bastards or chop off body parts.
    Ignoring the practical legal difficulties, there isn't much evidence that this would help a lot.

If we could hang or mutilate these people promptly [[such as with lynch mobs) that would probably reduce crime [[ignoring the crime of lynching). But if we are relying on the current law enforcement/criminal justice system, without other procedural reforms more extreme forms of punishment probably wouldn't help very much. Severity of punishment just doesn't seem to have much effect on crime rates. It is true that we don't have data on how people would react to mutilation, so it is possible it would work, but based upon what we know about criminal behavior and psychology, it probably wouldn't.

Research indicates that quick and probable punishment, which the current system does not deliver, is more important than severe punishment. In the absence of extralegal approaches like lynching, more extreme punishments result in more delay as people make greater procedural attempts to avoid them--who is going to plead to amputation or hanging--so this approach is unlikely to improve the situation.

Maiming and lynching? Seriously? Do we really want to go back in time?

No, at least I don't.

However, that is one place you could end up when the duly constituted authorities can't control crime. As I hope I made clear, I think the solution is reforming the law enforcement and criminal justice systems, not that it would be at all easy to do, not least because the maiming contingent would consider it to be "soft on crime."

But in a state that literally can't afford its prison system, you can't just keep doing what you're doing.

bartock Guest

DetroitDad wrote: [quote=DetroitDad;165965]Only a psychopath would want to bash someone's head in for no reason, or stick someone up in a parking lot for a cell phone and $100, just for fun. There are way too many violent offenders in prison or on parole for that. Try to visualize things from within a criminal's shoes. Aren't they all victims? Who [[or more like what) are we ever really criticizing or smirking at?

I hope that I'm overreacting to this statement because, as written, it sounds batshit crazy. When I read this I thought it was a joke or an attempt at satire, perhaps just a segue to an interpretation of the message of the Nirvana inspired picture [[the real cover doesn't have a shark in it). To the later point, it seems you are talking some sort of morally mixed, State of Nature-criminals as victims-meshed with Rand hybrid philosophy where not only do the strongest survive, the strongest are the victims, with a direct relationship between the relative sizes of strengh and victim. It would be related to Narcissism, I suppose. Dahmerism, perhaps?

Dahmerism?

Is that where the strong EAT the weak?!

[[got a friend renting the old Dahmer family home down in Akron, oddly enough)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast