Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
This suspect is black and suspected to be from Clinton Township. Ought to make the debate over this interesting.

For the record, all crime is bad, no popcorn needed. This was blocks from my house. I do not understand why there would be smug reactions to where some of the latest crimes are taking place, as though it vindicates one area versus another. Ironically, many of us in this area have lived in more than one place, and my suburban ass [[those of us born and raised in the suburbs, sorry, we're Detroiters, but we're suburban Detroiters) spent several years living in Detroit and Hamtramck. I hate a carjacking in Detroit as much as I hate a carjacking in Grosse Pointe Woods.
I'm not sure if your comment was directed toward me, but for the record this is blocks from my house as well. The reason I think this is significant is b/c I grew up in GP and am now questioning whether I should move. My wife is a stay at home mom and the only thing tying us to the GP area [[besides my parents) is her group of friends [[all of which are also stay-at-home moms).

Growing up, this would have been completely unheard of in GP. I am now afraid to let my kids go out and play in the front yard in Grosse Pointe. That is what makes it newsworthy. You move to a more affluent area so that you have safety and quality schools. With the crime on the rise this is quickly becoming a deterrent for living in GP.

You are correct that crime is everywhere. However, this was why my parents moved out of Detroit in the 80's. Coincidently, I used to live 2 blocks from where the Detroit officer was shot several months back. That area used to be safe and walkable. Now [[according to the people the papers interviewed that currently live there) the area is a crime-ridden area where gunfire is heard nightly. This is why people don't live in Detroit and instead migrated to the suburbs -- including GP, Royal Oak and Birmingham.

My fear and -- and the reason I posted this story -- is that many suburbs including GP, Royal Oak and Birmingham are starting to slide down a slippery path where crime is becoming the norm. If these suburbs can't turn the tide against crime our entire metropolitan area will begin to mirror what we currently see in Detroit proper. This is especially true for GP which is being hit by crime as a result of its many shared Detroit borders.

As a resident, we have been informed that the criminals make a "hit" and then quickly exit and "disappear" into the Detroit neighborhoods. Please not that I AM NOT SAYING that the criminals currently performing these crimes are black or from Detroit. I AM SAYING that they are using the lack of police presence or enforcement in Detroit as a quick escape route.

This breakdown in safety is what has me very concerned as a father and husband, because I shouldn't have to worry while I am at work if my wife will be carjacked while going to pick up my dry-cleaning [[which is next door to the men's warehouse mentioned in the story) or taking the kids to Einstein bagels [[which is across the street).