Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    din't you mean "Detroiters commit crimes everywhere"? or perhaps "Everywhere Detroiters go, crimes are committed?"
    Thank you for proving Iheartthed's point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    i posted those as a joke, but in all honesty, former detroiters getting the section 8 handout have moved into my neighborhood recently. those houses now have driveways full of broken down cars, yards full of crap that is never picked up, and lots of kids walking in the middle of the street like they were in the hood. a couple of neighbors have reported small items from their yards going missing, and a young girl [[6 or 7) from one of these houses was reported to the police after going door to door panhandling. while my neighborhood has never been the home of the well-to-do, this sort of thing has never been present until now.

sadly, the stereotypes are based in fact. i grew up and spent most of my life in places where this was not the case-in fact, the stereotypes did not exist. but in the 9 years i've spent in the detroit area, what i thought were backwards, closed-minded stereotypes have proven to be 100% accurate.

Bearinabox Guest

i posted those as a joke, but in all honesty, former detroiters getting the section 8 handout have moved into my neighborhood recently. those houses now have driveways full of broken down cars, yards full of crap that is never picked up, and lots of kids walking in the middle of the street like they were in the hood. a couple of neighbors have reported small items from their yards going missing, and a young girl [[6 or 7) from one of these houses was reported to the police after going door to door panhandling. while my neighborhood has never been the home of the well-to-do, this sort of thing has never been present until now.

sadly, the stereotypes are based in fact. i grew up and spent most of my life in places where this was not the case-in fact, the stereotypes did not exist. but in the 9 years i've spent in the detroit area, what i thought were backwards, closed-minded stereotypes have proven to be 100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    The related a personal anecdote based on his own observations. Is he lying like the bus beat down guy?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I didn't try to change this into anything. I just made a joke based on a recent Free Press article that described a Troy resident who committed a crime as being a "Detroiter".

As far as it being a racial issue... The article already did that well enough without my help. The writer included the race of the perpetrators without any other detailed physical descriptions to help a would be victim. Thus the inclusion added nothing to the story, other than to further stigmatize a certain segment of the population in southeast Michigan.

And thats the whole thing in a nutshell and I knew why he said what he did...

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The related a personal anecdote based on his own observations. Is he lying like the bus beat down guy?
    He can relate all the personal anecdotes he wants. He should just be aware that when he interprets those anecdotes as supporting evidence for nasty stereotypes about Detroiters, he's proving Iheartthed's point. I think I've made that sufficiently clear to him, and what he does with the information is up to him. I have no idea whether or not he's lying, and don't much care; the truth of the anecdote is completely irrelevant to my point. Also, please show me where I accused "the bus beat down guy" of lying.

How do you know they are former Detroiters? Honest question.

= He's seen one or two people do it now its undeniable proof that millions of Black men women and children are all the same....
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; July-19-10 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    How do you know they are former Detroiters? Honest question.
    they told me they were.

they told me they were.
    Did they also tell you they were using section 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    = He's seen one or two people do it now its undeniable proof that millions of Black men women and children are all the same....
    it's as if you didn't even bother to read the entire last paragraph, lamenting how it has taken 9 years of living here to take from the point where i did not have the stereotypes that permeate the region to where i acknowledge them as i live them every day.

these days, it's the one or 2 black people i engage with every day who are unlike the myriad around them that keeps me from lazily applying pre-conceptions to all. it hasn't always been like that, and it's a dam shame. more a result of larger shifts around here the past 40 years than anything else, i suspect. decades of seeing the best and brightest among us leave for greener pastures has left us with a growing percentage of the worst among us.

Did they also tell you they were using section 8?
    yep, although it was no surprise to me as the houses with section 8 renters had been posting signs saying "section 8 accepted" for a few months while vacant.

they told me they were.
    That's so nice of you to speak to those lower people. You surely are a saint. Do you have as much contempt for them when you speak with them or is it only when you post about them.

yep, although it was no surprise to me as the houses with section 8 renters had been posting signs saying "section 8 accepted" for a few months while vacant.
    Oh okay...

Oh okay...
    it actually came in the form of "the lord blessed us with the section 8" or something like that. any retelling i make is sure to lack the flair of the original conversation.

Yeah unless they can hurry up and "jailbreak" the iPhone as they call which wipes out all the data and making them run on other networks... There info is all over the web... Sometimes the process damages the phone. I hate iPhones which are thieves delight along with the Touch devices though I otherwise use alot of other Apple Mac equipment, I just have a flip mobile phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Goes to show how stupid these idiots are....
    Why would you want to steal a cell phone much less an iPhone? Most cells made today have GPS encoded and the iPhone is one of those phones and it has been used to track robbers on the run. Birmingham Police could have these guys in jail already simply by tracking the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Really? Crooks are secretly casing some suburban neighborhoods? How do you know about it then?
    Every 10 minutes and crook can case my neighborhood in their choosing and when the time is right, THEY STRIKE! Most crooks these days strike at neighborhood with a lower crime rate, finding dead end sub-divisions as a easy escape approach and neighborhoods with acess to main roads that includes homes with no fences.

it actually came in the form of "the lord blessed us with the section 8" or something like that. any retelling i make is sure to lack the flair of the original conversation.
    So exactly how many black neighbors from Detroit came up to you and told you that the Lord blessed them with section 8?

I'm thinkin one of the two that moved within the ten square block neighborhood in which he resides....he didnt neccessarily say they moved right next to him or he would have been telling us how they tried to break into his house....

So exactly how many black neighbors from Detroit came up to you and told you that the Lord blessed them with section 8?
    only 1. he was kind enough to tell me that the mixed race couple and their 5 children in the house next door were also section 8.

the basic construct of the conversation:
    me: "hi, you folks new to the neighborhood?"
    him [[guy with "jesus loves you" in stickers on the back of his suv: "we moved here from the city about 2 weeks ago when the lord blessed us with the section 8."
    me: "i saw the sign in the window saying 'section 8 accepted' but that's the first i've heard of anyone getting it around here."
    him: "the family next door got it too."
    me: "please clean up the crap from your yard. i mean, if you own an old wheelchair, that's great. but parking it in your shrubs for weeks on end makes the neighborhood look like crap."

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I'm thinkin one of the two that moved within the ten square block neighborhood in which he resides....he didnt neccessarily say they moved right next to him or he would have been telling us how they tried to break into his house....
    i'm thinking you are just making stuff up that reinforces your opinion.

fwiw, the 2 section 8 houses i know of in my area are 5 and 6 houses down from mine, on the same side of the block.

i'm thinking you are just making stuff up that reinforces your opinion.

fwiw, the 2 section 8 houses i know of in my area are 5 and 6 houses down from mine, on the same side of the block.
    So a whopping two houses is a sufficient sample size to support your claims?

Your original post stated:

sadly, the stereotypes are based in fact.
    So two section 8 [[former detroit) homes has brought your neighborhood to a crumbling mess and the people from the two homes are sufficient to prove the "stereotypes are based in fact"

So if I meet a couple of baby boomers that are assholes I can state that the stereotyp eo fbaby boomers being assholes is based in fact? If I meet two people that are white supremacists can I state that white people hate black people is based in fact?

they told me they were.
    I see.

I understand your frustration with your new neighbors. NOBODY would want to live near the behavior you describe.

I don't have any links to back up my statements, but I am 100% certain there are many reasons for their bad behavior, or even just one, lazy. However, I am also 100% certain, that no where on the list of reasons for bad behavior, is there the reason, "skin color".

From your other words, it seems you haven't always bought into stereotypes, but now is not the time to do it either.

Don't let your bad experience suck you down into the stereotype hole of bullshit.

I could tell you about my experience with my lily white [[long time) neighbor and my new black/formerely Detroit neighbor, but I won't bore you with it, I'm hoping you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

So two section 8 [[former detroit) homes has brought your neighborhood to a crumbling mess
    your words, not mine. i never made that assertion.

and the people from the two homes are sufficient to prove the "stereotypes are based in fact"
    yes, it does. now, if i were to say that they were universally true, that would be a major stretch. but to say that they are not based in fact would be to say that the 2 examples i cited were something other than the stereotype implies, unless you are suggesting that i am lying about those 2 households i am citing.

So if I meet a couple of baby boomers that are assholes I can state that the stereotyp eo fbaby boomers being assholes is based in fact?
    i would accept that statement, trusting that you accurately assessed the assholeness of those boomers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast