Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    You didn't notice others managed to work with that link?
    No, I noticed that when I clicked on the link you posted I got a Facebook error message reading "The page you requested was not found" As I assume Wintersmommy did. I just went back and clicked on it again and got the same.

You didn't notice I mentioned witnessing incidents on the bus more frequently recently?
    Yes, but I was looking for something a little harder than anecdotal evidence to back up your assertion that the buses were becoming more dangerous. Outside of the horrifying beating your friend received, which would give anyone pause, most of the rest of what you describe sounds pretty much like the kind of stuff I saw pretty often as a frequent bus rider back in the '70s and '80s.

These days the only buses I ever ride are the Jefferson between the Indian Village area and downtown, and the Woodward up to the Cultural Center, and while there are sometimes some odd or unhappy people on the bus, I really haven't felt even remotely threatened on those lines in years. It was my understanding that statistically crime has been level or dropping on Detroit transit since the bad times of the '80s, at least until recently.

I'm not looking to argue, I'm looking to tell you that there definitely ARE reasons you may want to reconsider riding the bus
    OK, warning taken.

I hope your friend recovers and gets better as soon as possible. I know from experience that sometimes the psychological scars of something like this are even worse than the physical ones - even in a terrible case like this - so I hope he is going to be able to avoid and/or deal productively with the dark shadows that can fall on someone after an event of this type.

I don't understand why this was moved into the Non Detroit thread

DetroitDad Guest

Wow, more people are injured in buses than in auto accidents on 70mph motorways?!?

Wait... I don't think anyone posted that, did they?

In that case;

We'll keep riding the bus, People Mover, and eventually the train, with the understanding that we are refusing to give up my grand public places, and retract to safe and sterile gated forts, out of fear. Yes it's true.... life is dangerous! But there is no reason to give up freedom for safety.

LodgeDodger Guest

I agree. I was about to send a note to Lowell. This most certainly is about Detroit.

The same reason the bums were given their own little Superbowl party in a far-off location out of sight of the general public?

A DDOT hipster beatdown is pretty "Detroit" according to my taxonomy, but I don't admin this site.

Interpolation Guest

because lowell is a fucking coward.

BANG

EastSider Guest

Good thing this thread is now safely tucked away in "Non-Detroit Issues."

"We must always say nice things about Detroit! It can happen anywhere!"

And I think only old people would wonder why someone's posting on Facebook the day after such an incident. Maybe that way everyone the person knows will find out without having to call each person individually?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Courtesy of an unmentionable site:

Damn! I get a headache just looking at that. That's horrible. :-[[

I think I'd be avoiding the busses too, if something like that happened to me or someone close to me. He's lucky to be alive.

FWIW, I couldn't open the OP's link either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    FWIW, I couldn't open the OP's link either.
    I couldn't open the link. I don't have a Facebook account. Could that be why?

Does anyone who can't open the link have a Facebook account? Does anyone who can open the link not have a Facebook account?

Horrible incident. Sorry for the momentary threadjack. This Facebook link is just gnawing at my craw. Sincerely.

I have a Facebook account and I can open the link.

I agree with EastSider that if you are a regular Facebook user, it would be the quickest and easiest way to let your friends know what happened. I can see how if you are not into Facebook or from an older generation, you might not get that this is how twentysomethings roll, even from the hospital after surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    all that happened the night before and yet he still managed to be OK enough to post this on FB? Wouldnt he still be in the hospital recovering from the steel plate in his head?

something like that happens to me and posting my "story" to FB is going to be the last thing on my mind....I have a hard time believing this "story"
    Yes. Actually it is possible. I mean two weeks ago at night I broke open my head on a steel beam sticking out of the wall while riding by on a bike. Night after I was in the emergency room, I updated my status. I mean you can access the internet anywhere.... It gets pretty boring while you are just laying there.

To Have Brain surgery and post somethng like this on facebook almost immediately afterward...i mean I am not a brain surgeous but I am pretty sure that there is no such thing as one day recovery from serious brain trauma....also I know I can take a picture or two and do some pretty nasty looking photoshop wizardry to create some hellish lookinh wounds.....so with that regard i am STILL doubtful of the story. Especially if the picture came from some other unmentionable site.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    To Have Brain surgery and post somethng like this on facebook almost immediately afterward...i mean I am not a brain surgeous but I am pretty sure that there is no such thing as one day recovery from serious brain trauma....also I know I can take a picture or two and do some pretty nasty looking photoshop wizardry to create some hellish lookinh wounds.....so with that regard i am STILL doubtful of the story. Especially if the picture came from some other unmentionable site.

That is of course unless he did this:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Outpat......-a088174380

^^This is really, really hiliarious
    -HEAD/DESK-
    It came from Facebook, is FB unmentionable?I doubt being able to type an update from a cellphone, while in the hospital, counts as a one day recovery.

Good point, but that pic still gives me a headache.

Michigan Guest

^^This is really, really hiliarious
    -HEAD/DESK-
    It came from Facebook, is FB unmentionable?I doubt being able to type an update from a cellphone, while in the hospital, counts as a one day recovery.
    Alley, you have to forgive Dstylin, I think that he is retarded, or ritarded if you liked the movie.

Oh, and who ever moved this from Detroit to Non-Detroit, is also a "ritard".
    Last edited by Michigan; July-15-10 at 11:03 PM.

Interpolation Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Good thing this thread is now safely tucked away in "Non-Detroit Issues."

"We must always say nice things about Detroit! It can happen anywhere!"
    they do happen everywhere, but here its with a two to three-fold increase in frequency of everywhere else

the dude running this place is so concerned about the Detroit© brand that he can't possibly let some kind of real situation sully his fucking lock on all of the dilletantes who like to regurgitate all of tired and wore out meme's of this town
    Last edited by Interpolation; July-15-10 at 11:37 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I couldn't open the link. I don't have a Facebook account. Could that be why?

Does anyone who can't open the link have a Facebook account? Does anyone who can open the link not have a Facebook account?

Horrible incident. Sorry for the momentary threadjack. This Facebook link is just gnawing at my craw. Sincerely.
    I have a facebook account. The link took me to the guy's profile, but I didn't see any pictures like the one posted in this thread, or anything talking about this incident. My guess is that those things are on a privacy setting that excludes me.

And yeah, this thread really does belong in Discuss Detroit, IMO.
    Last edited by Bearinabox; July-16-10 at 01:19 AM.

Wow.... 2 threads gone horribly bad in 3 days [[Ford racism rant being the other)....

They both got put over here for likely the same reasons.... 1) a lack of verifiability [[and for non-Facebook members... readability/viewability), and 2) name calling gone amuck...

Alley, I do believe you mean well in reporting this story... and I don't doubt that this story could be true... but it becomes difficult to separate the truth from fiction on Facebook... just as it does on blogs [[and 2nd hand accounts from strangers whom you buy a used car from).

Interpolation... all I can say is "buh-bye"....

Michigan... you're acting BADLY[[and tempting fate) by calling the Forum Admin a "ritard"....

Anyone with at least 50 posts and some common sense knows the rules about name calling...
    Last edited by Gistok; July-16-10 at 02:14 AM.

What is with all the name calling?

Let's see -Facebook, trolls, head wounds, name calling.. I don't see anything related to Detroit on this topic.

Michigan Guest

I would just like to point out a few inconsistencies I've noticed.

1) When English claimed that she was almost robbed on the people mover, mind you nothing happened but she could read the young man's mind, everyone on this board believed her and sympsthized with her. Now, a poster reports direct first hand knowledge of an actual attack on public transportation and that account, a factual actual incident, is dismissed as at worst a lie and at best an exageration. Shoot, someone even inferred he may have deserved it.

2) During the great "White supremacist come to Detroit" debate several people made wild, hair brained accusations about the safety and crime levels of many Michigan cities. Just about the entire board agreed, and when one person challenged the claim a story was posted about a bar fight that involved bouncers and citiots. Not only did that thread remain in Detroit Issues even though it had transfigured into a discussion of other cities, but none of you apologists challenged that story of a smashed skull and severe beating.

Why do these inconsistencies occur? Is it racism? Northen bouncers = white so they must be criminals while Detroit victim = white so he must have deserved it?

Oh, and Dstylin, I would love to see you demonstrate your wicked Photoshop skills and produce a photoshopped picture of wounds as realistic and detailed as that. I for one think that you are full of BS, as usual.

Thugs avoid steel-wheeled transit like vampires avoid sunlight.
    yeah like that super safe subway system in NY
    def a place you can let your kids go and ride without adult supervision : )
    [[Ford racism rant being the other)....
    I think the second hand information the thread starter posted was probably all made up and opinionated rather then based on fact. However, everyone knows there are quotas and percentage expectations based upon race among employees/hirees, considering you are dealing with a major employer with union workers in a town where the NAACP doesn't let anything get past them.
    Face it, if Ford or GM hired 100 caucasians and 0 minorities, there would be screaming from the rooftops.
    Last edited by Papasito; July-16-10 at 07:51 AM.

Everybody claiming this didn't happen needs a reality check. One of my friends worked with this guy, and several other people here are telling you they know first hand this happened. Photoshop? Claiming he started the fight [[against 6 guys, really?), with no facts to back that up? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Funny how some of you wail on about someone you never knew, even though his real friends are banned or their posts removed from a "memorial thread", yet other people you don't know who suffer a traumatic experience must be liars. Michigan's thread above is spot-on. Poor English, someone looked at her funny. Oh, some white kid from the Magic Stick was beaten to near death on a bus? He's probably lying, or it's his fault. You have pictures and know him first hand? Well, the pictures are probably fake, and you are probably lying too. Oh you aren't? Well, this stuff happens everywhere, so who cares. "Shit happens".

And you tell yourselves this is the "mature" forum. Wow.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wow.... 2 threads gone horribly bad in 3 days [[Ford racism rant being the other)....

They both got put over here for likely the same reasons.... 1) a lack of verifiability [[and for non-Facebook members... readability/viewability), and 2) name calling gone amuck...

Alley, I do believe you mean well in reporting this story... and I don't doubt that this story could be true... but it becomes difficult to separate the truth from fiction on Facebook... just as it does on blogs [[and 2nd hand accounts from strangers whom you buy a used car from).

Interpolation... all I can say is "buh-bye"....

Michigan... you're acting BADLY[[and tempting fate) by calling the Forum Admin a "ritard"....

Anyone with at least 50 posts and some common sense knows the rules about name calling...
    I'm calling bullshit on this one G-Man. I've read some pretty speculative threads on the Discuss Detroit page. Lowell, do the right thing, return this thread to where it rightfully should be!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast