Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Good points Sumas. I suppose the term vagrant may be construed as a de-humanizing description of a human being. Ive chastised individuals for using that term., but those individuals who panhandle can be annoying and come across at times as threatening.
    I guess I've always been used to them, but they sometimes scare the crap out of my grad school friends and out-of-town visitors. It's part of the fallout from the city's Great Emptiness, I think... there are probably more panhandlers in bustling major cities, but there's also more foot traffic in general, especially after 5 on weeknights.

I'm surprised that they're showing up more north of 8, though. We used to have a conspiracy theory that the police rounded up random homeless people who appeared in the O.C. and shipped 'em back to the Cass Corridor.

Nine times out of ten, they seem more threatening than they really are. I just wish there was some way to reverse some of the decisions that turned a lot of these folks out on the streets in the early 1990s, which is when I first remember seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I guess I've always been used to them, but they sometimes scare the crap out of my grad school friends and out-of-town visitors. It's part of the fallout from the city's Great Emptiness, I think... there are probably more panhandlers in bustling major cities, but there's also more foot traffic in general, especially after 5 on weeknights.

I'm surprised that they're showing up more north of 8, though. We used to have a conspiracy theory that the police rounded up random homeless people who appeared in the O.C. and shipped 'em back to the Cass Corridor.

Nine times out of ten, they seem more threatening than they really are. I just wish there was some way to reverse some of the decisions that turned a lot of these folks out on the streets in the early 1990s, which is when I first remember seeing them.
    Until the courts and the newspapers got involved and stopped the practice, south Florida police used to take egregious panhandlers 30 miles out into the middle of the Everglades and leave them. When they finally walked back to civilization after a couple of days with the gators, panthers, snakes, and mosquitoes, the bums figured that a change of venue might be wise.

This may be off the thread, but does anyone know what happened to the guy who slept/hung around Tiger Stadium for years. He never bothered anyone and his base was the triangular building on Cochrane & Michigan. At times he walked down the street all hunched and stooped over. I heard there was a hopeless man beat up in that area, and I hope it wasn't this harmless soul.

Substitute homeless for hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Until the courts and the newspapers got involved and stopped the practice, south Florida police used to take egregious panhandlers 30 miles out into the middle of the Everglades and leave them. When they finally walked back to civilization after a couple of days with the gators, panthers, snakes, and mosquitoes, the bums figured that a change of venue might be wise.
    *jaw drop*

Default He's not kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I lived in Miami back in the early - mid 70s. Hermod isn't making this up. The lucky ones walked some pounds off and picked up a few foot blisters. The unlucky ones wound up as snacks for assorted carnivores out there in the 'glades. The cops there did some mean stuff to hippies, too.
    Last edited by Rockin' Best; July-16-10 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin' Best View Post
    I lived in Miami back in the early - mid 70s. Hermod isn't making this up. The lucky ones walked some pounds off and picked up a few foot blisters. The unlucky ones wound up as snacks for assorted carnivores out there in the 'glades. The cops there did some mean stuff to hippies, too.
    They didn't do it to all of the homeless, just the ones who pestered the tourists. They would just suggest to the bum that another city or state might be more to their liking. If they didn't get the hint, they would give the guy a ride out of town. Not too many got eaten by the critters, but it did cause some serious thinking as to whether or not SoFla was a congenial spot for his life style.

Went shopping a few days ago at Riverbend on the eastside. Got solictated for money for food. Having been grumpy the past few days I offered to buy some food [[but no money) and he said lady thats all I want. I did buy a small quantity of food to give him and he said thank you and left. Now I feel really small since he really did just want food.

Quote Originally Posted by TiCub View Post
    This may be off the thread, but does anyone know what happened to the guy who slept/hung around Tiger Stadium for years. He never bothered anyone and his base was the triangular building on Cochrane & Michigan. At times he walked down the street all hunched and stooped over. I heard there was a hopeless man beat up in that area, and I hope it wasn't this harmless soul.
    I haven't seen him in at least 3 years, but when we lived in Corktown he was always on that stoop. We would buy him snacks from the gas station across the street and gave him blankets one winter. I wonder about him whenever I'm in the area.

LodgeDodger Guest

Bartoch, this one's for you...

He was working the CAY today.

Looks like prime condition for an Afghanistan tour. Maybe we should have a press gang instead of a draft to fill the ranks.

I have season tickets [[27 game package) for the Tigers. The fellow in the photograph is always there after games; says he is not a "head case". My row won Little Ceasar pizza last year. My wife and I had half a pizza left when the game was over and gave it to him on the way to the car. He didn't bother the thank us.

Lodgedodger, how is it you're so close but he's not hustling you...did you already give him a dollar?

Does Detroit offer food vouchers? Here in Chicago you can purchase food vouchers that can be given to the homeless instead of money. Nearly all relevant businesses accept them like Walgreens, CVS, Target, 7-Eleven, most grocery store chains here, etc. That makes it a little easier and more comfortable to give.

But at the same time, Chicago bans panhandling on many downtown streets. Many businesses can also have people removed from a public sidewalk they feel is a nuisance. I do support this. Nothing is worse than having some homeless dude just waiting for you and other residents to walk out of your own apartment building or office every freakin day

Back when I was unemployed wandering around taking photos of a few demolished buildings in Detroit this same guy came up to me and chatted for awhile. I bought him some snacks at the CVS. Trust me, there's potential, the guy isn't dumb. It's just a damn shame there's no jobs
    Last edited by wolverine; July-24-10 at 09:07 PM.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    Lodgedodger, how is it you're so close but he's not hustling you...did you already give him a dollar?
    Looks like she gave him a baggie of crack.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    I make him a little nervous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3