Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Actually, one day I asked the "critter" to give me some money. I put my hand out and he was getting ready to drop some change in it. *Shudder* at the thought of anything that touched him, touching me. He never bothered me again after that. Anyway he used be on Woodward and Jefferson in the mornings. Haven't seen him in a few weeks now.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    OK LodgeDodger you've just become my favorite person on this site.

DetroitPlanner, during the week he's in front of the 211 building at Fort/Washington all day. Eastern Market Saturdays.

I propose that "Sir, Sir" show up on any thread that is either bad or run its course. Yes, I'm talking to you, Ford Hiring thread.

Danny, to be honest I don't agree with you often and often I don't know where you are going with your ideology. I don't attack your opinions and respect your right to say what you want.

This is the first time that I agree with you 100% regarding our homeless and vagrants. A picture was posted and now seemingly removed. It showed someone I think I recognize. He was a driver in years past for a wholesale company I worked for in Eastern Market. He needs help not vilification.

LodgeDodger Guest

The picture of "Sir, Sir" was removed?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Danny, to be honest I don't agree with you often and often I don't know where you are going with your ideology. I don't attack your opinions and respect your right to say what you want.

This is the first time that I agree with you 100% regarding our homeless and vagrants. A picture was posted and now seemingly removed. It showed someone I think I recognize. He was a driver in years past for a wholesale company I worked for in Eastern Market. He needs help not vilification.
    I'm not sure you're referring to "Sir, Sir" or not, but this is one bum that is a pain-in-my-ass. I'm all for social programs and the like, but for the most part, these guys are scammers. There IS help available for these guys, but they choose not to utilize them. Why? Because pan-handling is what they WANT to do.

These assholes fuck things up for people who are trying to earn a living in this city. They intimidate some of the folks from the suburbs [[I see it all the time). Why come to Detroit when you know you'll be accosted every fucking time you go to the market?

Why do I have to expect to be approached when I leave the library, when I'm leading a tour, or just hanging out trying to chill? I'm trying not to turn this into a tirade, but I'm sick of everyone giving these guys a "pass" because they don't want to accept help.

Bearinabox Guest

I'm not sure you're referring to "Sir, Sir" or not, but this is one bum that is a pain-in-my-ass. I'm all for social programs and the like, but for the most part, these guys are scammers. There IS help available for these guys, but they choose not to utilize them. Why? Because pan-handling is what they WANT to do.

These assholes fuck things up for people who are trying to earn a living in this city. They intimidate some of the folks from the suburbs [[I see it all the time). Why come to Detroit when you know you'll be accosted every fucking time you go to the market?

Why do I have to expect to be approached when I leave the library, when I'm leading a tour, or just hanging out trying to chill? I'm trying not to turn this into a tirade, but I'm sick of everyone giving these guys a "pass" because they don't want to accept help.
    This issue is a lot more complicated than you're making it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    DetroitPlanner, during the week he's in front of the 211 building at Fort/Washington all day. Eastern Market Saturdays.
    Strange, I mostly encounter him somewhere between City Hall and the Penobscot. Maybe he has a twin or a clone? I think LD has it nailed. Everytime I see him I am reminded of my trip to Yellowstone and the explaination of why you do not feed the bears.

hopefully there will be legislation that targets mental health reinvestment, also encourages help for nonprofits that deal with homelessness.. on top of that there's the whole foreclosure crisis, etc...

Bear's right, it is immensely complicated.

Danny's right too, in that there are some folks who have gone past redeemtion. As a hopefully moral society we need to look for solutions for all.

I didn't view Sir/Sir or the critter links. It would have distressed me.

The safety nets that people assume, just aren't there. So many of those homeless shelters are like KK' s 401c3 personal entitlement program. Money is there, for golf trips etc but services to the needy aren't.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Strange, I mostly encounter him somewhere between City Hall and the Penobscot. Maybe he has a twin or a clone? I think LD has it nailed. Everytime I see him I am reminded of my trip to Yellowstone and the explaination of why you do not feed the bears.
    Between City Hall and Penobscot is where he ends up after motion call on Fridays. It is very possible he hangs around there while I'm working during the day, but at lunch hour it has been every day on that corner [[it seems) since Spring.

That guy has been asking for money for at least 10 yuears. I want to say 12 years, but it is at least 10 years.

Bear and Stasu - if the subject is generalized, I agree. If the subject is the "Sir, Sir" guy, he panhandles by choice. If you ever catch him talking to one of the other panhandlers, it is like hearing a different person speak. His hustle works enough...he's no head case, and he'll tell you that [[that is actually one of his lines).

bartock Guest

I meant Sumas.

I understand, Bartok. The point is help those that can be helped and figure out a situation that houses those who do not, nor wish to help themselves, impose themselves on society.

For the record he has a real name. Larry

Also for the record he did/must still have an alcohol and drug problem. Get paid Friday, showed up Tuesday [[missing Monday) broke. I admit to being naive, didn't understand why so many koolwhip cans were being destroyed. Know better now, they were getting high off the aerosal.

He had a partner in crime, too many in fact. His buddy, did a delivery route. Stole the money and the truck, police found that one high as a kite on crack in a back street in the back of the truck.

His buddy got clean and straight but then he had help from family.

The suburban owner of this wholesale co.sent me and a black delivery man to retrieve the truck, this situation happened more than once. We were expendable you see.

Got tired of that and took a different job.

Everyone has a story and a name.

Please don't call humans, critters. I don't approve of what he did or does. You see him as expendible but then so did our boss who viewed non family but dependable employees in that same light.

... I admit to being naive, didn't understand why so many koolwhip cans were being destroyed. Know better now, they were getting high off the aerosal...
    nitrous oxide?

Danny wrote:
    >>How we can stop more beggars:

1. Give them medical and mental treatment AND PAY THEIR BILLS.

Hey, if you do that for me, I'll never bother you again, either.

You know its one thing if a person suffers from a mental illness, I feel an astronomical amount of compassion for, and worry myself sick about individiuals, one of whom I knew personally, who have the chemical imbalance or whatever the cause of mental debilitation....its another if someone is supporting a drug habit or is drunk-pushy and obnoxious...those individuals are unfathomably selfish, need tough love or a good hard kick in the right direction.
    Last edited by terryh; July-14-10 at 07:01 PM.

The "Sir, Sir" guy has not only been out there for 10 years doing this -- and a decade ago, it wasn't that hard to get a job -- but he's quite fit, he always walks very quickly, either toward you [[which is threatening) or alongside you, as he gives you his "I'm not a head case" or "I'm not a drinker" line.

Looking at his level of energy...the guy could work. If he's got a drug problem, he appears happy to continue that way, getting others to pay for it.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thank you, Pffft. I understand there are many folks out there who need more help than a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter can give them. I get that.

The folks I'm referring to, including "Sir, Sir" are a nuisance.

One more thing, I'm not heartless, I'm just tired of dodging this little jerk when I'm at the market. Maybe it's time to confront him again. It might, once again, buy me a couple of years of peace.

Maybe we should just bring some wasp spray to work, just in case we see wasps and when the guy confronts us use it to defend ourselves? That would be a big deterrent.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Maybe we should just bring some wasp spray to work, just in case we see wasps and when the guy confronts us use it to defend ourselves? That would be a big deterrent.
    No, but I can wear steel-toed boots and kick his ass when he bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    OK LodgeDodger you've just become my favorite person on this site.

I propose that "Sir, Sir" show up on any thread that is either bad or run its course. Yes, I'm talking to you, Ford Hiring thread.
    LOL I know that guy all too well. He's always hitting up everyone for money at the bus stops downtown.

He hit me up for money once when I was waiting for a bus at the City County building and I told him I didn't have any cash. Five minutes later he asked me again, and I said, "you asked me five minutes ago; I didn't have any cash then and I don't now." He said, "Hey, sorry, I can't memorize all my customers."

I just love that he referred to me as a customer. Interesting viewpoint.

Guy could go into sales, sell refrigerators to Eskimos, if he wanted to do it.

bartock Guest

I understand, Bartok. The point is help those that can be helped and figure out a situation that houses those who do not, nor wish to help themselves, impose themselves on society.

Also for the record he did/must still have an alcohol and drug problem. Get paid Friday, showed up Tuesday [[missing Monday) broke. I admit to being naive, didn't understand why so many koolwhip cans were being destroyed. Know better now, they were getting high off the aerosal.

He had a partner in crime, too many in fact. His buddy, did a delivery route. Stole the money and the truck, police found that one high as a kite on crack in a back street in the back of the truck.

The suburban owner of this wholesale co.sent me and a black delivery man to retrieve the truck, this situation happened more than once. We were expendable you see.

Please don't call humans, critters. I don't approve of what he did or does. You see him as expendible but then so did our boss who viewed non family but dependable employees in that same light.
    Good stuff, Sumas. Several layers to this, interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    He hit me up for money once when I was waiting for a bus at the City County building and I told him I didn't have any cash. Five minutes later he asked me again, and I said, "you asked me five minutes ago; I didn't have any cash then and I don't now." He said, "Hey, sorry, I can't memorize all my customers."

I just love that he referred to me as a customer. Interesting viewpoint.

Guy could go into sales, sell refrigerators to Eskimos, if he wanted to do it.
    \
    If only he could clean up his life and or get the assistance he may need.

Good points Sumas. I suppose the term vagrant may be construed as a de-humanizing description of a human being. Ive chastised individuals for using that term., but those individuals who panhandle can be annoying and come across at times as threatening.

this guy scrambles past so fast, sometimes I don't even get the chance to tell him no!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast