Ive noticed a small invasion of pesky panhandlers around the 9 and Woodward area within the last couple of years. I had an annoying encounter last summer as I chained my bike in front of the Record Collector, when a scrawney little drunkard, sittin next to Eddie the loudmouth window washer, got up, ran right up on me, pressing me for a handout. I ignored the vagrant while politely listening to Eddies jive babble,the vagrant taking the hint and sat back down on the sidewalk.I should have whipped out my phone and called the police, as should all the naive bleeding hearts who hand out food and money to these pests that are infesting 9 mile.

One old bum used to stumble into Java Hutt with his Im mentally impaired routine[[its a hustle, trust me,Ive seen his 'true colors')and I know of several instances in which young counter clerks have had their tip jar stolen, or foolishly handed over the proceeds of the nights earnings. Then there was the young buck that was in WAY to good of shape to be panhandling, I warned the managers of a community center to watch him as a I had a bad vibe about, and wouldnt put it past him to strong arm one of the sissies that frequented the center.

There are organizations that can provide food and shelter to the homeless and destitute,so NEVER hand out money to support a druggies drug habit. Ferndale, with its multiculturalists and cumbayah bleeding hearts, is a prime location for drug addicts and chronics who are looking for a quick fix. Ive been down and out because of lifestyle choices, pulled myself back up, and volunteered at a rotating homeless shelter, so I know the ins and outs, the games and the lies. Residents and community groups need to stay vigilant, pass out flyers,and demand agrressive police action and response.Panhandlers often cross the line and commit acts of petty thievery and foray into armed robber and home invasion. If someone asks for money for food, and you have a guilty conscience, buy the person a meal. Dont give them money so as to exacerbate the bum problem!