Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    Actually devils night has averaged about the same number of fires on a normal night over the last 10 years or so. Things have been getting "hot" around the 4th of July though. Lets hope this is not a new tradition.

Well if people are doing it for the insurance money or if it is just some kids doing it then the 4th of July would be a great time to do it because you can just say you had some fireworks that got out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I don't think people outside of Michigan realize that it's that bad in Detroit.
    California barely knows where Detroit is located on a map, but then you probably already knew that. The amount of problems that other communities have doesn't leave much room for "helping" Detroit.

I thought the trailer was really depressing, not at all hopeful; especially the sad faced fireman who held up the sharpied message, "I love people." ?

There's a reason why the abandoned homes are being torched [[other than insurance or bad kids, etc.). It might be the same reason why there is so much graffiti - people just want to get rid of ugly things. Paint over it, burn it down - not the most positive way to change things, but it's easy and gets the job done.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmaven View Post
    California barely knows where Detroit is located on a map, but then you probably already knew that. The amount of problems that other communities have doesn't leave much room for "helping" Detroit.

I thought the trailer was really depressing, not at all hopeful; especially the sad faced fireman who held up the sharpied message, "I love people." ?

There's a reason why the abandoned homes are being torched [[other than insurance or bad kids, etc.). It might be the same reason why there is so much graffiti - people just want to get rid of ugly things. Paint over it, burn it down - not the most positive way to change things, but it's easy and gets the job done.
    I hope you are not downplaying the role a firefighter plays in Detroit. They certainly don't do it for the money!

Yes, there is a reason why abandoned AND occupied homes are being torched, and it's not because "people just want to get rid of ugly things"....it's because there is an element of people whose thought process isn't right....they don't care about firebombing a home with small children in it....they don't care about maybe murdering a firefighter...they just don't care, period!

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I hope you are not downplaying the role a firefighter plays in Detroit. They certainly don't do it for the money!

Yes, there is a reason why abandoned AND occupied homes are being torched, and it's not because "people just want to get rid of ugly things"....it's because there is an element of people whose thought process isn't right....they don't care about firebombing a home with small children in it....they don't care about maybe murdering a firefighter...they just don't care, period!

To be fair every city has its own share of head cases but it seems that the ones in Detroit like to be more upfront with their lunacy. Can anyone post the most recent statistics for various crimes from major cities like Detroit,NYC,Orlando and LA along with the population for each city? That would really clarify how things are in Detroit without bias. You can't change hard facts.

Buy American Guest

I have a gut feeling that because of this flap over the video that Warren Evans authorized without the City's permission, it may have an influence over this worthwhile documentary about the Fire Department. The City has always been very uncooperative when it comes to disclosing or filming anything that may show Detroit in a negative light. I hope I'm wrong...this documentary needs to be made...I know it would help Detroit rather than hinder it. People need to see just exactly what goes on in the life of a firefighter and the department...maybe then things will change for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by papillonaquatique View Post
    Can anyone post the most recent statistics for various crimes from major cities like Detroit,NYC,Orlando and LA along with the population for each city? That would really clarify how things are in Detroit without bias. You can't change hard facts.
    Crime statistics aren't hard facts. As witness the Detroit murder rate from a couple of years ago, or Chicago not releasing crime figures to the FBI, or anybody not reporting [[or taking a report of)a crime. The coding of crimes is subject to a fair bit of wiggle room--how do you know whether something was an arson or an accident? I'm not saying that making adjustments for those problems would put Detroit in a better light, but taking those numbers as "facts" isn't really a good idea. I think I would regard them as indicators.

It wasn't in the context of him being a fireman. in a larger way, the way Detroiter's see themselves. It showed on his face.

I know about the people-don't-care aspect of arsonists and graffitists. I know about deranged thinking processes. I think that's true. I am voicing an observation on what I have seen over the years in Detroit and around the country and in my city of Long Beach, CA.

Detroit is pretty destroyed as the city it once was. It's more like fields and prairies. Kind of nice, actually. Is it time to look at Detroit a different way?

Buy American Guest

Keep this thread at the top....donate to this worthy cause.

Default Message from the filmmakers!

I have a gut feeling that because of this flap over the video that Warren Evans authorized without the City's permission, it may have an influence over this worthwhile documentary about the Fire Department. The City has always been very uncooperative when it comes to disclosing or filming anything that may show Detroit in a negative light. I hope I'm wrong...this documentary needs to be made...I know it would help Detroit rather than hinder it. People need to see just exactly what goes on in the life of a firefighter and the department...maybe then things will change for the better.
    Hey everyone, Brenna Sanchez here, producer of BURN -- great discussion here, really important stuff that we're talking about, too. I'm a Detroit native and have been making documentaries in LA since I left 10 years ago. You can view my filmography here: http://brennasanchez.com

In a quick response to the Warren Evans and Detroit 187 controversies -- Honestly, I feel that shows like Detroit 187 and the Warren Evans spectacle can only make our production look better. Those shows are trying to capitalize on and sensationalize what's wrong with Detroit, while we're trying to build our story on people in a tough situation who are trying to do what's right.

Director Tom Putnam and I believe that BURN will turn out to be something we can all be proud of. I'm not sure the producers of those other shows are driven by the same motivation. I hope that folks who view the trailer understand our intentions as serious filmmakers with posterity on our minds.

As it stands, we have serious interest from distributors and broadcasters but, as you know, money is slow these days. We are raising the money ourselves to get back and continue filming. If everyone who's watched the video had donated $5-10, we be back filming already. You can help by donating, of course -- it's tax deductible! -- but also by sharing the video with family, friends, and co-workers. We are also interested in corporate sponsors and investors, if you have any leads in that direction. We're definitely open to all suggestions.

Thanks much for your support,

Brenna Sanchez
    www.detroitfire.org

Only my 2nd post here, but great film from what I saw Brenna! Working in Gary I have an idea what they're dealing with on a smaller scale. Sadly for some reason, networks never have any luck with anything firefighter related, not sure why! The Discovery Channel had a short lived show in Boston & I believe NBC had one shortly after 9/11 that lasted 6 or 7 episodes. At the sametime there's 50 police related shows that they keep. I don't try to figure it out anymore.

That said, the link to the film is being spread among the online firefighter community,hopefully donations and interest will follow. I've sent a link to the video to Stater911, he gets loads of visitors daily from the fire community, could always drop him a line as well.

Bumped for the firefighters.

FANTASTIC FILM. Check comes the 1st, will make a donation. During my entire law enforcement career I had more respect for fireman than the cops I worked with. Cops at least have ways to protect themselves. Firemen go in with nothing but knowledge and hope a building don't collapse. To be a Detroit fire fighter you have got to be dedicated. Sure don't seem to receive anything else for doing what they do.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tfirefilm/burn

Update on the film: It has reached enough donations for a full funding and the next step is to finish filming and send it out to film festivals for voting and such. They'll be taking donations until December 1 [[coming up in less than 2 weeks from this post).

Here's a few clips in no particular order:

Can't wait to see this film done!! Well worth the donation!!

I wonder how many of these guys will even have a job by the time this movie comes out.....

The movie is mentioned in the entertainment section of today's Free Press with a full-page spread:

'Burn': New documentary gets inside look at Detroit firefighters

Buy American Guest

The documentary is quite a tribute to Detroit Firefighters and shows in depth what they go through every day for the citizens of Detroit.

We have a friend who is a firefighter. Amazing person. So much respect for what they do everyday on the job.

As to vacant houses being torched I know someone who tried to do just that. I don't approve, but do understand the pure frustration that provoked the attempt. That house they tried to torch was comdemned and slated to be removed April 2009, yet it still stands.

great trailer and clips, i'm ready to see the finished version. looks heartwrenching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2