Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've seen both foxes and coyotes here on the east side [[neither of which are really dangerous to humans, unless rabid). Also, opossums, raccoons, rabbits, skunks, woodchucks, and many different kinds of birds, from pheasants to falcons and even a great horned owl. I've seen deer in some pretty close-in suburbs, so I would imagine there are some here in the city already, or it's just a matter of time until there are.

My parents have a view of the river from their place and see all kinds of birds out over the water, and saw a fox running out on the ice this past winter. My mother got the surprise of her life a few years ago when she heard one of the cats growling in the living room and turned a corner out of the kitchen only to see a huge falcon sitting just on the other side of the window devouring a pigeon.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    I saw a woodchuck or a groundhog crossing Blue Hill [[cadiuex-mack) in broad daylight a few weeks ago.
    Woodchucks & groundhogs are the same animal. There was one living under my neighbor's porch last summer.
    Last edited by jackie5275; July-12-10 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Yesterday, while driving down Racho Rd in Taylor right before you reach Southland Mall, a deer darted out in front my vehicle. It ran into the woods behind the mall. I was so surprised to see one in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I see quite a bit of this critter when in the "D":

Sorry...couldn't help myself.
    One of these days I am seriously going to knock that guy on his ass. He hangs out at the corner of Fort and Washington harassing people to give him money. On Friday he asked me and I said no, when I walked by him again he called me a selfish mother f-er. I really wish we had some kind of ordinance to take these guys off the streets, it would make the city so much nicer.

But back to what this thread is about, in Palmer Woods we have foxes, coyotes, possums, had a wild turkey hen last summer, pheasants, hawks, and a northern harrier which has really decimated the squirrel population in the neighborhood.

If you have a fish pond with Koi or other kinds of fish you probably had a visit from one of these.

I chased one away with a broom, they are not so nice looking in person and can empty a pond in a week.

http://sharigreen.files.wordpress.co...blue-heron.jpg

There are other great pictures on line. I also have seen them on the roof of the Belle isle buildings.

A family of pheasants lived for almost a year in the vacant lots next to my mom's home. on the eastside of Detroit. The male pheasant would crow when the family was ready to eat and we fed them bread. They're scarce now since there are a number of stray cats in the area. We've also seen rabbits and possums in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    We get alot of squirrels as there are chestnut trees nearby, and lately several sitings of rabbits, big ones I might add. Pheasants too! They march right across a nearby lot. Then there's the lumbering possum.... ugh. It's just a zoo. But I've not seen a a skunk!
    Just curious, do you live in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    One of these days I am seriously going to knock that guy on his ass. He hangs out at the corner of Fort and Washington harassing people to give him money. On Friday he asked me and I said no, when I walked by him again he called me a selfish mother f-er. I really wish we had some kind of ordinance to take these guys off the streets, it would make the city so much nicer. LMFAO!!!!

But back to what this thread is about, in Palmer Woods we have foxes, coyotes, possums, had a wild turkey hen last summer, pheasants, hawks, and a northern harrier which has really decimated the squirrel population in the neighborhood.
    L
    There are some pretty big patches of woods and fields in that area....some urban prarie in Highland Park....

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    One of these days I am seriously going to knock that guy on his ass. He hangs out at the corner of Fort and Washington harassing people to give him money. On Friday he asked me and I said no, when I walked by him again he called me a selfish mother f-er. I really wish we had some kind of ordinance to take these guys off the streets, it would make the city so much nicer.

I'd give you five dollars to do so. Ten, if you allow me to record it.

Moderator, please cross-post to the 'Detroiters are Cheap" thread.

Oh, never mind...

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Just curious, do you live in Detroit?
    I don't think he's interested in you, Terry.

lol @Lodgedodger

Quote Originally Posted by hubbardfarmer View Post
    To see the peregrine falcons, just plant yourself near the Fisher Building and look up. Eventually you will catch a glimpse of them. I read in the News or Freep that a pair has also started nesting on the Ambassador Bridge.

I live not far from 9 and Allen, and I've smelled but not seen evidence of skunk. I saw a raccoon in the JLA garage once.
    I watched a peregrine falcon eat a mouse today outside my window while on a conference call...I work in the ren cen and he was perched on a ledge one tower over having lunch ..super cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I watched a peregrine falcon eat a mouse today outside my window while on a conference call...I work in the ren cen and he was perched on a ledge one tower over having lunch ..super cool
    Keep a camera handy. Birds of prey are majestic creatures...Ive witnessed Hawks make grabs for Pigeons and Blackbirds...I witnessed a Crow crack open Blackbird egg as a parent of the egg swooped at the Crow...Crows numbers seemed to dwindle for a few years [[I didnt notice as many) and they are making a comeback around these parts...

I notice whenever a squirrel spots a Cat, they sit upright and make a certain chirping noise, and I cant help but wonder if they have a language of calls specific to select predators.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2