Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fighter Planes?

Hermod
    When you live next to an airforce base they usually fly airplanes around day and night, just like next to airports and unfortunately they make noise although they're working on the whole stealth thing. I'm just a little partial to the sound of freedom as I flew on one of those noise makers for the better part of my 26 years in the Navy. Whether you agree with or not the international aims of our government...... noisy jets are gonna be here for a while.

I once worked on a project that was tasked to maximize fuel efficiency of commercial jets. Paradoxically, we found that in order to minimize overall noise the best strategy was to gun the engines at full throttle to gain altitude as quickly as possible during take off. Of course that frustrated our fuel conservation attempts. Bummeroni with cheese.

I have spent many hours at airshows just to hear that noise. I wish I still worked downtown!

Ever since I was little, when TV stations used to sign off with the "I reached out and touched the face of God" poem, I wanted to be inside a jet aircraft as it flew as high and as fast as possible. But alas, I suffer from terrible motion sickness [[among other reasons) and know that I would never be able to stand it.

To me, the flyovers symbolize patriotism, just like the national anthem and the flag flying high. I may not always agree with my government, but it is still my country and I'm proud to live it and be able to see the symbols of the freedoms I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Hermod
    When you live next to an airforce base they usually fly airplanes around day and night, just like next to airports and unfortunately they make noise although they're working on the whole stealth thing. I'm just a little partial to the sound of freedom as I flew on one of those noise makers for the better part of my 26 years in the Navy. Whether you agree with or not the international aims of our government...... noisy jets are gonna be here for a while.
    Yes, you could get the same sound at Lynnhaven Mall from the jets at Oceana.

I liked it when the Air Force Thunderbirds put on their annual display for the CG, TAC to get his approval of the show they were going to put on for the coming year.

My son-in-law just retired from the navy as a Sr Chief after 24 years [[Hospital Corpsman). He spent ten years chasing the Marines around then 14 years as an IDC.

Default Jet Flyovers

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    That's hilarious!
    I think the flyovers sound really cool.
    It's like being in a Scifi movie or something.
    But....how much does it cost the taxpayers to run these little flyovers?
    I mean, really. How important is it, especially in this economy?
    Just saying.

Hermod
    Then we were both Senior Chiefs!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I'm walking down Fort Street during lunch during one of the flybys, and everyone on the street is looking up. One of the regular beggers [[not the skinny white guy with glasses whose route goes from WSU to the stadiums to Eastern Market...I would love to start a thread on him) scowls at me and says "all you white people looking up at the sky. It's nine miles away by the time you hear it." Don't know if it's true, but I said "good point, my friend" to him anyway.
    He's known as the "Sir, Sir!" bum. He used to run when he would see me at the Eastern Market--we once had a slight altercation. Now, he just scowls when he sees me. I think he realized I'm all bluster. Clearly, he is the most annoying bum in the CoD.

I wonder why drills are being done over the most dangerous city in the world. Don't the pilots. The Army Times had reported last year that the millitary would start practicing inside the United States. Are remote controlled drones going to fly over this city too practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I wonder why drills are being done over the most dangerous city in the world. Don't the pilots. The Army Times had reported last year that the millitary would start practicing inside the United States. Are remote controlled drones going to fly over this city too practicing.
    Not to mention all the EEEEEVULLL surveillance drones snooping over Detroit to send your doings back to big brother. Keep your tinfoil hat on to reflect the mind control rays they will be using.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I just laughed... a lot. Thank you stasu for my daily dosage of good ol' fashioned American paranoia. See you in WWIII.

Quote Originally Posted by LEOQUEEN View Post
    They sound like they will crash into you at any moment.
    Could be the DEGC's new demolition strategy.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    He's known as the "Sir, Sir!" bum. He used to run when he would see me at the Eastern Market--we once had a slight altercation. Now, he just scowls when he sees me. I think he realized I'm all bluster. Clearly, he is the most annoying bum in the CoD.

This is awesome, that's the guy! You just made my day...Thanks!!!

That's the guy. Always asked for money for breakfast on Friday motion call day outside of CAYMC. More recently I've seen him at Fort and Washington. He doesn't understand the concept of friendly begging. Worst bum ever. Creepy or just odd that you have a photo of him.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    ...how much does it cost the taxpayers to run these little flyovers?
    I mean, really. How important is it, especially in this economy?
    Just saying.
    I agree. If the government wants to demonstrate freedom for me, they can send me back a tax rebate for all the money they saved by eliminating loop-de-loops from the defense budget.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    That's the guy. Always asked for money for breakfast on Friday motion call day outside of CAYMC. More recently I've seen him at Fort and Washington. He doesn't understand the concept of friendly begging. Worst bum ever. Creepy or just odd that you have a photo of him.
    He's a regular fixture at the Eastern Market. I snapped a pic with my phone one morning. Nothing bothers the little twerp. He's actually quite well-known here and in other places on the Interwebs...

I was at Belle Isle when they were flying overheard. Incredibly loud but they were fun to watch.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    He was a bother on Friday mornings, was a bother Saturday mornings at EM and at pretty much any sporting event. I started working at Fort/Washington almost a year ago and now I see him every day. About 7:00 p.m. one night I was leaving and saw him with a big bag of some sort of carry out and a spring in his step instead of that annoying shuffle. Doesn't matter if I'm with my wife, kids, or anything...you'd think that after more than 10 years of seeing me, he'd stop asking. He doesn't. I've thought about buying him lunch one day just to get his story, but I'm guessing there is no real story. Lots of people need help around that area, and I'd rather give money to the guy who wears the mask.

Sorry for threadjacking.

Yeah, I spotted a beauty from the 1950s with a T-tail just flying along.

There ain't no drones. People are too old to put up a fight nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    But....how much does it cost the taxpayers to run these little flyovers? I mean, really. How important is it, especially in this economy? Just saying.
    I think it's a big waste too. Co-workers of mine who fly/flew in the military tell me that some of this is done to use up their annual budget. If the Pentagon sees that a squadron isn't flying as many missions as expected, they will reduce their future funding.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I think it's a big waste too. Co-workers of mine who fly/flew in the military tell me that some of this is done to use up their annual budget. If the Pentagon sees that a squadron isn't flying as many missions as expected, they will reduce their future funding.
    There is also the requirement that any officer drawing flight pay has to fly a minimum number of hours each month. Sometimes near the end of the month there are a lot of planes out there just making holes in the sky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2