Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    The Packard site was not the right shape for the new plant anyway, if you look at the Poletown plant today, it is a large square polt of land, the Packard plant site is rectangular.
    Also, I get the sense they wanted to build a factory that was fortified with gates on rarely traversed stretches of road, the better to handle strikers.

I seriously doubt this will result in the packard coming down. This sounds like a shell company to launder money through. If they try to get the company to pay for demolition, I'd expect the company to file for bankruptcy and not have to pay a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    The Packard site was not the right shape for the new plant anyway, if you look at the Poletown plant today, it is a large square polt of land, the Packard plant site is rectangular.
    I remember reading on another thread sometime last year, that the Poletown plant is smaller than originally planned. They have a good amount of empty land around the plant that may have been able to remain neighborhood. With that being the case, configuratively, it may have fit it the Packard plant, but as stated earlier there were other tenats in Packard.

Where is this place? I'd love to drive by

There was quite a bit of optimistic hope at the Packard plant in the early 80s that the coming Poletown plant would need a good sized parcel in the Packard plant for "Just in time" storage.
    It turned out that the ceiling heights in the Packard plant were under the 24 ft. height now considered standard. The speculator that bought the plant then, who set into motion the mess we have today was banking on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTROIT View Post
    Where is this place? I'd love to drive by
    1580 E. Grand Boulevard.

I don't remember the Packard Plant being this horrendous relic back in the mid to late 90's. It certainly wasn't on my radar of places to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    I don't remember the Packard Plant being this horrendous relic back in the mid to late 90's. It certainly wasn't on my radar of places to explore.
    Way back in the mid to late 90's it was still an operating entity with over 100 tenants in place and was not an "urban ruin" to explore. In about 1999 thr CofD did a land grab, evicted the tenants and started to demolish some buildings. That started the tresspassing, vandalism and exposure to the elements.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3