Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default looking for a Rotweiller

Probably spelled it wrong. A needy kid whose Mom is going into rehab really wants a dog. While his Mom gets well he is going to Georgia to stay with relatives for the summer. He is so unhappy compared to last year when he was an all A student. I will commit to caring for the dog for the summer if we get one for him to come home to.

LodgeDodger Guest

Perhaps a different breed of dog would be a better idea?

There's nothing inherently dangerous about Rottweilers, unlike Pit Bulls. They have a bad reputation because they were labeled the breed second most likely to attack a human, but a lot of that can be pinned on bad or abusive owners [[read:dog fighters) being attracted to the breed for it's strength. They are a herding breed, not a hunting or otherwise violent breed. But, as a herding dog, this dog will need to get a lot of exercise. If you are unable/unwilling to spend a lot of time running this dog, do not get one.

I wouldn't defend a Pit Bull like this, but Rottweilers really do have an unwarranted reputation.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; July-07-10 at 09:49 AM.

The kid only wants a Rot. Never saw a kid so depressed in my life. I have a large yard with an extensive dog run too. He would also have a playmate, a shepard mix. My biggest concern is when he comes back can he handle it? Will his Mom have a place to house themselves and a dog.

Every boy needs a dog and a Mom who is not drug addicted. I am seriously afraid I am witnessing another lost child. The Mom and son were brought over by a friend. Perhaps I should say dubious friend. She said she thought I didn't like her and I told her straight, I don't. She lies and steals to get her drugs and I didn't want her in my house. I do hope that re hab works for her but it is really the kid that breaks my heart.

Is this family going to have the resources to take care of a pet? As you know, it's a long term financial commitment. Maybe the kid can just visit your dog from time to time instead.

It sounds to me that if you get this dog, it will end up being your dog, and your financial responsibility. You've made it clear on several occasions that you have your own financial difficulties, so perhaps taking responsibility for another living creature isn't the best course of action.

I think a stable family would do more to cure this kid's depression than a dog, but of course he has plenty of company sharing that same need in Detroit.

LodgeDodger Guest

If he loves that breed, so be it. If it were me, I would suggest something smaller and easier to care for. Even if the breed has a bad reputation, I would suggest obedience classes. That's a big dog.

Yes I know what you mean about the dog. The mixed shepard named Sarge was willed to us. We are doing ok by him so I guess one more dog wouldn't hurt. Sarge needs his shots updated and dispite our problems we manage ok. Sarge has three maybe four others who are all adoptive co owners. We share his expenses. There isn't another dog around that gets so much love and attention except maybe our Puggle, Putz.

Rotts do have a bad and undeserved rep as do Dobermans. We also have a good friend with Pitt bulls. Skye in particular is a sweetheart, but I do admit to being afraid of that breed, too many stories about them going renegade.

I was thinking that maybe we might take William to GSCG for reading night on Saturday. This sweet kid could use one of Cubs hugs.

Sumas:
    Pam and Lodgedodger are giving you some very good advice about having a manageable dog.
    A full sized male Rottweiler can weigh 160 #'s.
    JohnLodge:
    You are, without qualification, right on the mark in your replies.
    A Rottweiler is a treasure to own. Show them love, train them, and your rewards are manifold. The memory of our 100 pound female Rottweiler [[Tora) brings a homogenous tear of joy and sadness whenever we mention her.
    Back in February, 2008, I had posted two dog stories.
    Peggy and Tora had two adventures in our Upper Peninsula home in the middle 1980's, while I was working in Detroit.

Try Better Life Canine Center, in Redford, Redford, :313-622-2837. They have rehab and deserted dogs that have been worked with. Rotts, boxers and pitts. A wonderful place.

Most landlords won't rent to tenants with Rotts, Pit Bulls, even German Shepherds in some cases because their insurance policies specifically disallow it. [[Same goes for trampolines.) The last thing the kid needs is a Mom just out of rehab that can't find a decent place to rent.

Pam and Lodgedodger are giving you some very good advice about having a manageable dog.
    A full sized male Rottweiler can weigh 160 #'s.
    I never mentioned anything about breed, since I don't know about it. This family doesn't sound like they are able to take on any type of pet. A child can't do it alone. The parent will be the one paying for it, driving it to the vet. etc.

Everyones advice is very sound. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. I really wanted to cheer this kid up. Yes I know that I will probably end up with it as my responsibility. The odds of getting one are slim but I will try. I am familiar with large breeds having owned Danes, St bernards and Mastiffs.

Get the kid a hamster or something he can take care of himself without having to rely on someone else to do it for him. You getting him a dog and then keeping it at your house is just another heartbreak waiting to happen. What if his mother doesn't get clean and he ends up having to move? Then he HAD a dog and now it's gone again. Or if mom does get clean, she may want to move away from the area to be away from old habits and old friends. It happens.
    Better yet, get him a Gameboy or a PSP. They don't need to eat or go to the vet and he'll have hours of fun.

From an earlier post:

1964. Fang Wun came into our lives. Fang was a mongrel. Peggy and I adopted her from a friends litter for the sake of our two children who clamored for a doggie.
    After a week or so, the clamor subsided. Peggy became the den mother of Fang Wun, and later, Fang Tu, and still later, Tora.

How old is the kid? Sadies was the best damn dog I've ever had, probably ever will have. A big overgrown baby who thought she was a lap poodle...I never told her she was a Rott.

However, I spend a tremendous amount of time in training, socializing, and also in vet bills for the first year of her life.

Rotts demand attention....tossing them in a fenced yard or on a cable is not attention. If they don't get good attention and good exercise, you can have problems on your hands.

They are super super dogs, but the decision to own one ought not be taken lightly.

Sumas, you have demonstrated over and over again that your hear is in the right place, but as jcole said ...you may be setting the young man up for further heart ache. He would get attached to a dog that he may not be able to keep, for many reasons. While he wants a Rottie, a smaller, "none dog" pet might be more appropriate. Sounds like his mom will only be able to rent a place to live, not buy, so a dog of any kind is going to be a problem. If she can't take care of her son, she likely can't take care of a dog either. It is not fair to a dog, especially one the size of a Rottie, to live without access to a yard, etc, and the very stuff it takes to "just be a dog. "

Thank you Detroit, we try hard to be good people and do the right thing. No longer looking for a dog since his Mom found a new place to flop. Apparently, no rehab for her. I talked briefly with the young man and told him we tried. It is hard to look at such a young face with such old tired eyes looking out at you.

We have assisted many many people over the years successfully but this time I failed miserably. Wanting to do the right thing and doing the right thing are very different. I blame myself for failing this child. I made a rash promise and I regret it.

For the record however we would have adopted a dog for him to visit. We have a large yard and have owned over the years many large dogs, Danes, St Bernards and Mastiffs. Currently we own two dogs. Also adore cats but don't currently have any.

Sumas, Don't beat yourself up too much. At least you tried to do a good thing. There is a shortage of people like you and your husband in the world....many people don't even try to be good people. If anyone has failed the young man, it is his mother [[ and father who I assume is absent from his life )? Sometimes, in spite of our best efforts, things don't turn out as we would like. But I know that won't deter you from trying again and again. There is a special place in heaven for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post

For the record however we would have adopted a dog for him to visit.
    We have two black lab/rott mixes that love to visit and be visited.

Actually we are contemplating a black lab rott mix. He is only 4 months old. Not sure I want a puppy though.

The younger of the two chewed through the drywall in the kitchen when she was that age. She was a rotten puppy, but she has outgrown that stage and is very mellow now. I originally found the first one abandoned in Southfield. No one in the neighborhood recognized her, so I left my name and number with the city dogcatcher, but no one ever called for her. We got the second one a few years later when one of the daughters of a woman at church was moving and couldn't keep him. He was mixed the same, so with both of them being mixed the same, and being such well behaved dogs, I had to see a litter of pups from them. The youngest is from that litter. The mother passed away a few years ago, but we still have the dad and one daughter.

Hi Sumas, good to hear you may be getting a new family member. A word of caution, I believe I read in perhaps an older post that you live in the East
    English village area, and so do I. We have a 4 month old rottweiller puppy who just survived the Parvovirus which is a seriously infectious and deadly disease that fatally affects rottweillers, dobermans and other dog breeds. After a week long emergency care hospital stay and additional vet bills, our puppy miraculously survived the illness and is doing well today. Be very careful with your little one and be sure to have him current on all of his vaccines. Apparently in Southeast michigan [[specifically Detroit, Hamtrack, and Pontiac) there have been an unusual number of Parvovirus outbreaks and you really need to be sure your pets are being kept up-to-date on their vaccines. The other forumers are giving very good advice as it relates to the rottweiller breed and the cost considerations for taking on new pets. Good Luck to you.

here's a link to the discussion on discuss detroit regarding the Parvovirus
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=6289

Thank you Taxpayer and others for good solid advice. Yes, I live in EEV, caretaker for my Mom, but my home/heart is in Islandview. I only feel sad that anyone might think I would stick a dog on a chain or leave it in a dog run. My tennants love animals and I am there daily. It's a very big yard. My dogs are happy and healthy. One lives with us here and one at Islandview. We take our dogs for long walks on Belle Isle. I take my responsiblity to these animals very seriously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast