Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Stopped in on this thread and low and behold Happys is in Chicago now. I wasn't sure and still am not quite sure that Happy's is based in Detroit. But I see in the 313 phone book Happys #1 is on E7 mi. I like their pizza. Kudos to Little Ceasars for 50yrs, Just wish that in the next 50, they would maybe start tasting like they did in their first 15.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Just wish that in the next 50, they would maybe start tasting like they did in their first 15.
    I think Caesars and Dominos are cutting corners on their crust. It used to be made every morning in the store, but I went in a Dominos and I saw a clear bag full of ready-made crusts. Seems like the toppings are melted on the crust as opposed to the crust getting baked. I haven't had a $5 Caesars pizza to confirm, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do the same thing. I know they do this at Chucky Cheese. CC used to have decent pizza and now it tastes like crap.

Any pizza employees on DetroitYES?

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    I think Caesars and Dominos are cutting corners on their crust. It used to be made every morning in the store, but I went in a Dominos and I saw a clear bag full of ready-made crusts. Seems like the toppings are melted on the crust as opposed to the crust getting baked. I haven't had a $5 Caesars pizza to confirm, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do the same thing. I know they do this at Chucky Cheese. CC used to have decent pizza and now it tastes like crap.

Any pizza employees on DetroitYES?
    I worked at Domino's in the late 90's, and they did not make their own dough in the store. Domino's had a philosophy that dough needed to proof for a certain amount of time, so making dough fresh every day was actually not good. Even once it arrived, we couldn't use it until it met its proof date. The dough was made and came from the commissary in Ann Arbor as dough balls in plastic trays. We would use the dough and the next time the truck came the driver would pick up the trays. Personally I don't like the stuff so I say they're probably full of it, but I'm no dough expert.

The "deep dish" dough they had when I was there came as pre-formed shells in a cardboard box, and it was made for Domino's pizza by Pillsbury. The thin crust doughs were also pre formed in a box from Pillsbury, kind of a matzo bread looking thing. These are what you probably saw in the plastic bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I worked at Domino's in the late 90's, and they did not make their own dough in the store. Domino's had a philosophy that dough needed to proof for a certain amount of time, so making dough fresh every day was actually not good. Even once it arrived, we couldn't use it until it met its proof date. The dough was made and came from the commissary in Ann Arbor as dough balls in plastic trays. We would use the dough and the next time the truck came the driver would pick up the trays. Personally I don't like the stuff so I say they're probably full of it, but I'm no dough expert.

The "deep dish" dough they had when I was there came as pre-formed shells in a cardboard box, and it was made for Domino's pizza by Pillsbury. The thin crust doughs were also pre formed in a box from Pillsbury, kind of a matzo bread looking thing. These are what you probably saw in the plastic bags.
    Yum. Bought-in pizza dough. It just screams "quality".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I worked at Domino's in the late 90's, and they did not make their own dough in the store. Domino's had a philosophy that dough needed to proof for a certain amount of time, so making dough fresh every day was actually not good.
    Dough does need to proof, but geez, make it in the morning and it's usually good for lunch [[worked at Papa Romano's while in college) after a day, it started to smell like beer

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Dough does need to proof, but geez, make it in the morning and it's usually good for lunch [[worked at Papa Romano's while in college) after a day, it started to smell like beer
    I dunno. Probably explains why it tastes like cardboard.

The best thing I ever had at Domino's was probably those Chicken Kickers. Now I see those commercials with the pasta in the middle of some pizza dough which is just inexplicable.

Ooooooooook.

Supino Pizzeria In Eastern Market Is as Close to NY Pizza as it Gets...Very thin crust Buttery flavor..Everything always very fresh.. Give it a shot

I suppose getting the dough balls trucked in makes for good quality control. The dough needs to proof. That's why we made it in the morning, put it in the walk-in cooler and didn't start using it until after lunch.

I am a fan of the take-and-bake pizzas in grocery stores. I live in Chicago and Dominicks has a pretty good one. I first found them at Walmart. I usually buy a cheese pizza and get fresh toppings in the grocery store. Ham and a pepperoni stick from the deli, fresh Italian sausage, ground beef and veggies. The pizza comes out almost as good as Homemade Pizza Co. and for half the price. And I slather butter/parmesan on the crust like Howie's!

In the Play section of the Free Press this morning, there is a feature on Detroit-area pizza titled "Pizza Town." I have to admit, I like Pizza Town better than Pizza Capital of the United States.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009060...+nation+s+best

I hope to make it to the east side on Saturday, Maybe I might be able to hit one of the pizzarias listed in the Freep.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4