Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Pizza Capital of the United States?

There is a story about Little Caesars in Crain's this morning [[http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/304269954) that lists the estimated market share of the larger pizza chains in the United States. Pizza Hut appears to dominate the market with 18.2 percent, but Dominos and Little Caesars have substantial shares of the market [[10.4 and 3.6 percent, respectively), especially given the pizza market fragmentation. The only other pizza chain listed was Papa John's with 7 percent of the market.

That got me thinking, what were the other players in the pizza market -- i.e., who made up the remaining 60 percent? If two of the largest pizza chains in the United States are headquartered in Metro Detroit, does that make Detroit the take-out/delivery pizza capital of the world, especially considering that Dominos practically invented delivery and Little Caesars made pizza a fast food of sorts?

I looked at the other major players in this area [[Hungry Howie's, Jet's, Benito's Pizza, Cottage Inn, Papa Romano's, etc.) and all of them were headquarted in SE Michigan, except for one, Marco's, which is actually headquartered in Toledo and has 140 locations in 17 states. While Benito', Cottage Inn, and Papa Romano's don't extend much, if at all, beyond Michigan, Hungry Howie's [[572 locations in 22 states) and Jet's [[locations in 10 states) appear to be fairly large, national players.

Although Detroit is not known for a style of pizza quite to the same extent as New York or Chicago, there is such a thing as Detroit-style pizza. With all of our pizza making exploits, is this something that Detroit could leverage for its benefit? Branding our city as such could be fun. In addition, if marketed/branded correctly, it could also draw in some tourism/economic development [[national pizza tasting contests?). Cleveland named itself the rock capital of the world, why can't we do the same for Detroit and pizza? Pizza sure ain't rock and roll, but it is America's favorite food.

While typing this, I also realized that how ironic it would be to name Detroit the pizza capital of the world given that it's very difficult to get late night delivery in dowtown. Also, when considering this idea, clear your mind of any disdain for Mike Ilitch and Tom Monaghan. I'm sure the owners of Hungry Howies and Jets are good guys...

Quote Originally Posted by heedus View Post
    There is a story about Little Caesars in Crain's this morning [[http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/304269954) that lists the estimated market share of the larger pizza chains in the United States. Pizza Hut appears to dominate the market with 18.2 percent, but Dominos and Little Caesars have substantial shares of the market [[10.4 and 3.6 percent, respectively), especially given the pizza market fragmentation. The only other pizza chain listed was Papa John's with 7 percent of the market.

That got me thinking, what were the other players in the pizza market -- i.e., who made up the remaining 60 percent? If two of the largest pizza chains in the United States are headquartered in Metro Detroit, does that make Detroit the take-out/delivery pizza capital of the world, especially considering that Dominos practically invented delivery and Little Caesars made pizza a fast food of sorts?

I looked at the other major players in this area [[Hungry Howie's, Jet's, Benito's Pizza, Cottage Inn, Papa Romano's, etc.) and all of them were headquarted in SE Michigan, except for one, Marco's, which is actually headquartered in Toledo and has 140 locations in 17 states. While Benito', Cottage Inn, and Papa Romano's don't extend much, if at all, beyond Michigan, Hungry Howie's [[572 locations in 22 states) and Jet's [[locations in 10 states) appear to be fairly large, national players.

Although Detroit is not known for a style of pizza quite to the same extent as New York or Chicago, there is such a thing as Detroit-style pizza. With all of our pizza making exploits, is this something that Detroit could leverage for its benefit? Branding our city as such could be fun. In addition, if marketed/branded correctly, it could also draw in some tourism/economic development [[national pizza tasting contests?). Cleveland named itself the rock capital of the world, why can't we do the same for Detroit and pizza? Pizza sure ain't rock and roll, but it is America's favorite food.

While typing this, I also realized that how ironic it would be to name Detroit the pizza capital of the world given that it's very difficult to get late night delivery in dowtown. Also, when considering this idea, clear your mind of any disdain for Mike Ilitch and Tom Monaghan. I'm sure the owners of Hungry Howies and Jets are good guys...
    You know Tom Monaghan has had nothing to do with Dominos for the past decade.

I would think that naming any place in the U.S. as the pizza capital of the world might come off as a little... self-consumed?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    You know Tom Monaghan has had nothing to do with Dominos for the past decade.
    I know, but he was the founder of the company and ran it for a number of years. Some of the posters may not care for him much and may not know that David Brandon [[the guy in the bailout commercials) is now running the show. Ilitch and Monaghan are just synonymous with Little Caesars and Dominos.

I worked at Dominos when I was in college, and some people there had worked there when Ernie Harwell was let go. Apparently people were calling up the store [[and other Dominos) for days just to scream at them about Ernie, as though people working in a Dominos franchise had any control over who announces for the Tigers.

Jet's opened one in Columbus OH and are opening another about 15 miles outside Columbus. Really catching there, in spite of the economy.

Heres what you do for a free pizza. Go to the used clothing store and pick up an old Dominos delivery shirt. Put it on and order a pizza. When the delivery guy comes to the door, take the pizza from him and say,"Thanks, I'll take it from here" then slam the door.

There was an interesting part in "Fast Food Nation" about a guy outta the Red Wings farm system who'd retired to buy a Colorado Springs Little Caesar's franchise & how the Illitches had a formal program to reward those players[[I imagine it must hold true for the Tigers prospects as well)

A friend of mine and I once snuck into the Warped Tour using our Domino's uniforms. We had no tickets, and there were more people looking for tickets than people looking to sell them. We saw a Dominos booth inside the gates, and Dominos people coming and going at will bringing in pies from the local store, so we got our uniforms out of the car and walked right in. I felt so James Bond-ish.

No, he had it.
    The only other pizza chain listed was Papa John's with 7 percent of the market.
    I've wondered about this myself, heedus. Don't forget Buddy's, either. We have some great independents, not to mention some party stores.

Oops, I must have been sped redding.

Quote Originally Posted by oneway View Post
    I've wondered about this myself, heedus. Don't forget Buddy's, either.
    That's right. They were named in the top 5 pizza joints nationally by Food Network.

i grew up near 13 and crooks and tania's pizza was a staple. i used to ride my bike up there every day in the summers and get a slice of stuffed pizza and then stop next door for some baskin robbins. in high school, it wasn't odd to see someone with a huge blister on their lip from biting into a pocket of piping hot sauce. every single time i'm visiting my mom i stop at tania's first. sometimes after too. you know, for the road.

i sure could go for some tania's right now.

While typing this, I also realized that how ironic it would be to name Detroit the pizza capital of the world given that it's very difficult to get late night delivery in dowtown.
    You can get late night pizza delivered downtown from about a dozen places: Detroit Pizza Factory, Happy's, Dominoes, Cottage Inn, Sicily's, Pizza Papalis, Jet's, and Amicci's are just a few off the top of my head...

ejames01 If sales were what makes a food product good then the Big Mac should be considered the best hamburger in the world.

Instead the glory is that of a Pittsburgh Mickey D's franchisee who swiped it from a Glendale, CA sit-down burger chain now based in Warren

I dunno if we have any Filipino cuisine afficianados here, but there's a pretty good restaurant located where the first Bob's, uh, Big Boy, used to be. For you True Crime fans it's also a block East of the former location of the Hillside Strangler[[s) torture upholstery shop.

Information. Dialogue. Ideas.

I suppose getting the dough balls trucked in makes for good quality control. The dough needs to proof. That's why we made it in the morning, put it in the walk-in cooler and didn't start using it until after lunch.

I am a fan of the take-and-bake pizzas in grocery stores. I live in Chicago and Dominicks has a pretty good one. I first found them at Walmart. I usually buy a cheese pizza and get fresh toppings in the grocery store. Ham and a pepperoni stick from the deli, fresh Italian sausage, ground beef and veggies. The pizza comes out almost as good as Homemade Pizza Co. and for half the price. And I slather butter/parmesan on the crust like Howie's!

In the Play section of the Free Press this morning, there is a feature on Detroit-area pizza titled "Pizza Town." I have to admit, I like Pizza Town better than Pizza Capital of the United States.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009060...+nation+s+best

I hope to make it to the east side on Saturday, Maybe I might be able to hit one of the pizzarias listed in the Freep.