Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LodgeDodger Guest

No, the boat doesn't leave until a little after 5:00 PM. But I would recommend arriving early. ;-)

We have members of the Detroit Underwater Recovery Team coming to tell us what they've found in the river. We also have members of the Players club who will give a talk, too. There will be artifacts on display.

Wignatic, there are cars and trucks on the river bottom that did sink while hauling booze. That's why they used cheap jalopies that were purchased for $5-20 dollars per vehicle.

There's lots more to tell, but I don't want to give it all away. We had a cancellation today. If anyone is interested, there are just a couple of spots left.
    Last edited by LodgeDodger; September-27-10 at 05:36 PM.

Al C didn't mess with the Purple Gang because they had the pipeline to Windsor distilleries. They supplied Capone.

That is a tour I would go on except I work afternons. Oh well if there is aa next time I might go.

My wife has been looking forward to this for months. One last bootlegger's run!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    My wife has been looking forward to this for months. One last bootlegger's run!
    Make sure you introduce yourself...

Ha ha, LodgeDodger, I met you at the last DetroitYes event at Skippers.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    We have members of the Detroit Underwater Recovery Team coming to tell us what they've found in the river. We also have members of the Players club who will give a talk, too. There will be artifacts on display.
    How cool!!! I'll see you there. This will be the awesome-est tour EVER!

I heard there was just one ticket available, as of this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that there are still some vehicles on the rivers bottom between Belle Isle and Canada where they didn't make it across the ice....
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that it's pretty tough to dredge the Detroit River. Can you imagine all the stuff [[and maybe stiffs) that's still down there???

LodgeDodger Guest

Ha ha, LodgeDodger, I met you at the last DetroitYes event at Skippers.
    Oh yeah...that's right. I'm sorry about that. I'll watch for you.

Hey, what a great event. My wife and I really enjoyed it! Who did the research and the speaking? Great job! And somehow I missed you LodgeDodger, but I did meet REL.

That ship really holds a lot of people! when I saw them all lined up I thought the ship would feel crowded, but it didn't at all. And what great weather and sunset we had!

LodgeDodger Guest

That makes me happy to know. Thanks, Rick. I did the speaking and the research. I can't thank the Detroit Police Department Underwater Recovery team, the guys from The Players Club, and the Detroit Historical Society enough. We couldn't have done it without them. The boat actually holds 180, but we decided to cut the registration at 150, to give people room to walk about the boat and enjoy themselves.

Oh, and I think I said "Hi" to you as you were going up to the second floor. I was the woman in the 20's outfit.

How about those artifacts?!?
    Last edited by LodgeDodger; September-29-10 at 10:50 PM.

How freaking awesome was that??? Those artifacts were cool, and we ended up hearing some really cool stories from the DPD Harbormasters. The weather was perfect, and I heard glowing reviews about LodgeDodger.

Nice meeting you, RB!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that it's pretty tough to dredge the Detroit River. Can you imagine all the stuff [[and maybe stiffs) that's still down there???
    I've heard that too kathy2trips. Imagine how much BOOZE is sitting around in the mud down there!!!!!!! They just chucked'em over the sire when the fuzz showed up in burlap sacks so they could snag'em with a hook later on. If they didn't make it back, it's still there!

What a history steeped little corner of the world we have here, huh? Love it!

Congrats on the success of this event LodgeDodger and PW. I wish I could have made it. What an amazing era for Detroit, a near monopoly on both automobiles and booze. No wonder so many luxurious buildings were created.

Detroit Police Department Underwater Recovery team had one whiskey bottle that was still half full. He said when they first brought it up, it was full, but the lack of water pressure caused the booze to expand and blow out the cork.

Let's get our scuba gear!

Detroit Police Department Underwater Recovery team had one whiskey bottle that was still half full. He said when they first brought it up, it was full, but the lack of water pressure caused the booze to expand and blow out the cork.
    You mean this bottle?

Attachment 7535

LodgeDodger Guest

Those two guys were great. I swear, I'd adopt them as my brothers in a second.

As far as diving for bottles, be careful, we don't want them to use the body hook they brought along with them...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2