Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I watched a Clean Downtown worker sweep a ten-by-ten foot area at the riverfront pavilion for over an hour, while studiously avoiding spilled dirt from a planter. Then ten minutes later a contract worker came by with a blower and blew the spilled dirt onto the nearby grass in five seconds [[and the as a matter of course "re-swept" that entire ten-by-ten area). I admired the Clean Downtown workers ability to make work. And let me tell you that he never stopped sweeping for that entire hour. True story.

But seriously, I do appreciate how clean the riverwalk is kept.

The extremely limited number of trash cans in this city is a mystery.

I went for a ride around Belle Isle last year. Nice slow paced cruise. Yep, there was garbage blowing around. As we got close to the bridge, the car in front of me slowed down and all the garbage he had in the car went out the windows. Just threw it into the roads. The problem isn't the amount of garbage cans, it's the thoughts behind the people with the garbage. They don't care.

BTW, it wouldn't affect me much so I'm in favor of a toll for those that drive the island. Even if it was a buck a car load. And no it wouldn't cause any traffic problems. Charging an entrance fee isn't killing the Zoo. If you are that disconnected from what's going on that you wouldn't know a toll was being charged, exactly how would you be able to find the place?
    Last edited by BagAJellyDonuts; July-08-10 at 06:28 AM.

As a citizen of the city who rides his bike on Belle Isle, I would have to agree that with the lack of concern of the cleanliness of the island, it would be best to charge cars for entry into the island. It would help to pay for the maintenance, even though not all drivers leave a mess on the island, but most do.

The city of Detroit has littering laws as every city does, but they are not widely enforced. It is understandable with our high crime rate that this is the case.

It would also be an great idea for a parking lot to be created across the bridge on the undeveloped "Uniroyal" part of the Riverwalk. Of course that would require talking to the riverfront conservatory. This could help give people an incentive to leave their cars off of the island to save money.

The city can also, restore the park to be open 24 hours instead of closing it at a certain time.

I'm all for a fee. I used to run the isle but it's no longer safe due to the wild drivers.

I was once almost attacked by a very large duck who flapped his wings and screamed at me!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Stinking Boo View Post
    I'm all for a fee. I used to run the isle but it's no longer safe due to the wild drivers.

I was once almost attacked by a very large duck who flapped his wings and screamed at me!
    It could be worse. You could be attacked by stupid teen drivers.

I'm all in favor of a fee. As has been stated above, if you can afford custom cars, booze, pot, etc, then you can afford 5 bucks for the privilege of driving around.

I agree that there are too few garbage cans downtown and around town as a whole. The problem is too many savages pay no attention to the cans and just toss there shit out the windows. Until that mindset is changed, the trash will continue to be a problem.

Detroit should make it a high priority and fine the hell out of the fools who litter, just like they did in New York. Then take the money from fine and use it to hire people who walk the city cleaning up trash. They could even make non-violent criminals pick up trash as their community service like they do on the freeways.

I've read all of your arguments, including the ones from previous threads, and saw the deplorable condition of the park this year after the holiday weekends. It's official... you've all changed my opinion. Thankx DYesers.

Charge the toll, and provide the yearly discount pass for Detroit residents.

I hope somebody from the city looks through this site.....charge the toll!! I'm from Monroe, I would gladly pay a few bucks. The people bitching about being too poor to pay are probably the same ones trashing the Isle.

Stromberg2

But what would the futbol leagues do? All the cricket players? Then, in addition to finding a sponsor to back a team, they'd have to each pay to get stickers to get on the island for games. I still think this thing isn't thought through all the way. Sure, it sounds like a good idea, at least until you get a host of legitimate beefs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    But what would the futbol leagues do? All the cricket players? Then, in addition to finding a sponsor to back a team, they'd have to each pay to get stickers to get on the island for games. I still think this thing isn't thought through all the way. Sure, it sounds like a good idea, at least until you get a host of legitimate beefs with it.

Pay a toll like the rest of the people that want to use the island just like a metropark - there, thought it through for ya

Quote Originally Posted by DanFromDetroit View Post
    Pay a toll like the rest of the people that want to use the island just like a metropark - there, thought it through for ya
    Not very thoughtful, Dan. And if that's the attitude behind instituting a fee, expect the measure to fail.

HOw about having two options to gain a yearly access tag:

1. Pay a fee
    2. Volunteer X hours on cleaning/improving the park.

If you don't have the money you can donate a few hours to help clean the park. Or if you do have the money you can save a few dollars by volunteering to help clean/maintain the park.

That way the poor aren't left out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

1. Pay a fee

If you don't have the money you can donate a few hours to help clean the park. Or if you do have the money you can save a few dollars by volunteering to help clean/maintain the park.

Not trying to be obnoxious, but this would be a great way to piss off the union members who clean the park. It would just be seen as patent union-busting.

Belle Isle = Honeypot for weekend gangbangers
    This Thread = Honeypot for code speakers

I-94 = A future toll road so we can pay for all the suburbanites treating I-94 in Detroit as their personal garbage bag/ashtray

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Belle Isle = Honeypot for weekend gangbangers
    This Thread = Honeypot for code speakers
    Hahaha. And there's the crux of it.

Not trying to be obnoxious, but this would be a great way to piss off the union members who clean the park. It would just be seen as patent union-busting.
    Someone is going to have to clean it. At this point, I don't care who, as long as it gets done. That is suppose to be one of our great parks. Right now it looks like a hot ghetto mess.

If the city can't afford to have the Rec dept to clean it, then encourage the volunteers to do it. And institute the entry fee to help pay those union workers in the rec dept to do what they are suppose to do, clean the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Someone is going to have to clean it. At this point, I don't care who, as long as it gets done. That is suppose to be one of our great parks. Right now it looks like a hot ghetto mess.

If the city can't afford to have the Rec dept to clean it, then encourage the volunteers to do it. And institute the entry fee to help pay those union workers in the rec dept to do what they are suppose to do, clean the park.
    Have you ever driven through the park in the morning, when it's relatively clean? Seen the clean-up crews in the middle of the night? I don't think they're princes or anything, and some of them are assholes. All I'm saying is that if you try to get people to work-trade for a pass on the island, expect the SEIU or whatever union represents the workers to sue the city, and to have the matter tied up in court for a long time, all the while draining the city of funds that could be used to clean the island.

This is a practical matter -- pointing out an obstacle to a plan -- not some jumping-off point for angry, dissatisfied rants.

Minor thread jack...apologies....went by the island the other day and noticed the Scott fountain was not on and looked to be surrounded by chain link fence. what is the deal with that? It did look a ton cleaner from the distance I saw it [[was passing by boat). restoration underway?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Minimum wage is $7.40. To work off the price of one vehicle entrance for the island you would only have to pick up trash for 30 minutes.

Plus, you would need to hire a superintendent of volunteers, a volunteer coordinator, a volunteer program manager an assistant program manager and finally hire an outside third party to register and log volunteer hours.

Charge the fee. Pay the workers for weekend hours and/or hire additional workers.

When I started this thread. I really wanted people to punch giant holes in the idea. Nobody has really done that. Sure there has been some chirping about denying access to poor people- however pedestrians, bicyclists and handicapped vehicles would be allowed onto the island free of charge.

City Council, Mayor Bing, Are you guys DetroitYES readers?

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    When I started this thread. I really wanted people to punch giant holes in the idea. Nobody has really done that.
    IMHO, I think the person who said it is politically impossible to charge an entry fee for Belle Isle has already punched a Detroit-vortex-sized hole in the argument.

Must have missed that post. Politically impossible as in deleterious to a political career or legally impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    This has been discussed to death here. I can see Bing pushing for it as part of his big threat to close all parks, but it is almost certainly a non-starter politically. I can't see any political will for charging residents and taxpayers to use a public park in the poorest major city in the country. Just plain won't happen.
    Here it was. Don't underestimate the strength of this one point. It is formidable.

DetroitDad Guest

I wouldn't pay it, assuming financial problems are the result of poor planning or lack of vision.

Yeah, Soo much futbol and cricket going on there.

I really enjoy Belle Isle, I have even learned to overlook its condition most of the time. It is very hard when out of towners visit though and want to visit it.. A friend from Cleveland luvs the island when he visits but keeps wondering why its such a "pig sty"" most of the time he is there. I have no answer- he is right. He keeps saying its such a wonderful place for a city to have and doesnt understand the condition at times. Its downright embarrasing, as is the behavior of most of the people trying to get in on a Saturday eve. I made that mistake two weeks ago.. never again. I feel even worse when I visit Cleveland and right in the their city is two huge metro park systems that are immaculate, well kept, interesting with streams, bridges, spotless bike trails and well kept washroom facilities and a doggy walk park. Yet, totally free and in a city thats is supposedly close to being as broke as we are. If a fee would improve Belle Isle to what it needs to be , Im all in favor. It has so many good things about it. and many are really trying to make it better.
    Last edited by DetBill; July-08-10 at 10:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast