Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Are you folks still playing this Nutjobs's silly game, I have never read more contradicting statements from one person in one thread, First he/she/it is a "Lily white girl" from the south then she in not a native speaker,then she/he/it is financially independent who wants to do the right thing in Detroit but still depends on 2000 per month to get by on. I think this person is really enjoying the LSD trip today. Yes I guess its entertaining but for how long.... lets get the poser medicated and back to bed already.

Oh, come on Eastside, I get major amusement from this thread...the what ifs are the stuff of fantasies. Really makes no difference if it is true or not.

I like the comment that people tend to support areas they know best. So true. But think a moment. Real info comes from what people know best.

I had a real Detroit moment when I traded a dirt bike for a decent lawn mower. Some may say poor folk has poor ways but I prefer to say that need is the mother of invention.

I personally would love to start an Urban co-operative, might happen might not. So I guess I am learning something too.

Also do not discount religious obligations. Habitat For Humanity would never exist if it were not for churches and folks called to God's service. That said, I am not terribly religious but do feel the call to volunteer services around the city. Mostly because it makes me happy. Is that selfish, absolutely yes.

One last thought. I really do not like the word ghetto. The way I understand it, is that a ghetto is any community that has a preponderous of similar folk.

Contrary to popular belief Detroit still teems with life. People really just need to understand and appreciate all the sub cultures that exist here.

I rarely experience negative encounters. When I do, I just shrug them off and when I can't, I deal with it. The last time I got really mad was several years ago at a local market where a pushy older black woman thought she could intimidate me. I deferred to her but did tell her, Age before beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Your story is extremely implausible. Even if it's true, you can't fault folks for being suspicious.
    There's 6,800,000,000 people on the Earth which means there's 6,800,000,000 stories to be told, this is just one of them. I've heard more implausible stories in my life.

Roger that Sumas, let the free flow and exchange of ideas continue, but honestly if I had 200K to invest and another 1.3 mil in reserves I don't think I'd start an urban farm in the D. I'd begin at a coffee/herb house in Amsterdam and work my way to Bangkok!

It would great if it's true. However, generally the more [[unnecessary) explaination one gives to 'set' the story, the more likely it is to be a scam. The posting reminds me of craigslist scam ad reply.

Nevertheless, it's great to read the replies with all the different options available.

eastside, sounds like we could do a business vensure.

You guys provided a wealth of information. You never know, the information may be of use to the current person, or someone else.

I agree Rick, I am always amazed at the depth of knowledge shared on this forum.

I am still considering considering growing medicinal MJ. Don't smoke it myself but do know how it eased the pain of our recently departed friend.

I have a done a bit of research but hesitate because of the ambigious nature of current laws.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Are you folks still playing this Nutjobs's silly game, I have never read more contradicting statements from one person in one thread, First he/she/it is a "Lily white girl" from the south then she in not a native speaker,then she/he/it is financially independent who wants to do the right thing in Detroit but still depends on 2000 per month to get by on. I think this person is really enjoying the LSD trip today. Yes I guess its entertaining but for how long.... lets get the poser medicated and back to bed already.
    I have lived in the south most of my life so yes I consider myself to be from the south.I am a native speaker of English but I am not a native speaker of the other languages that I know and people who are trying to learn other languages want to learn them from native speakers which is the point I was trying to get across in my other post.The money I make from translating is going into paying for my college education.I also do not appreciate your little LSD jab about my LDS religion.I am not here hurting anyone wtf is your problem?I just came looking for info and you are here freaking out about it.If anyone here needs medication it is you.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I like the comment that people tend to support areas they know best. So true. But think a moment. Real info comes from what people know best.

I had a real Detroit moment when I traded a dirt bike for a decent lawn mower. Some may say poor folk has poor ways but I prefer to say that need is the mother of invention.

I personally would love to start an Urban co-operative, might happen might not. So I guess I am learning something too.

You traded a dirt bike for a lawn mower?Did none of your neighbors have one they would let you borrow in return for a little fee or something?

An urban co-op sounds like a really neat idea.We have alot of those here that are run by the church.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Roger that Sumas, let the free flow and exchange of ideas continue, but honestly if I had 200K to invest and another 1.3 mil in reserves I don't think I'd start an urban farm in the D. I'd begin at a coffee/herb house in Amsterdam and work my way to Bangkok!

Well the land is cheap and the residents could benefit which is why I am drawn.Other cities that I have an interest in are Battle Creek,Goldsboro NC and St.Augustine FL.

Goldsboro has a great historical renovation project going on right now and although St.Augustine is not cheap the property value will only increase due to it being a historical city and its location.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I am still considering considering growing medicinal MJ. Don't smoke it myself but do know how it eased the pain of our recently departed friend.

I have a done a bit of research but hesitate because of the ambigious nature of current laws.

My grandmother died from cancer and they gave her a container of medical 'MJ' cigarettes.She never used them but I know that to those that do it provides some relief from the pain.You would need all kinds of licenses to grow it though I would imagine.

Default Clarification on my post

Quote Originally Posted by papillonaquatique View Post
    I translate Japanese,Korean,Russian,Arabic and Chinese.I found out at a young age that I had a natural ability to learn languages and I spent years teaching myself and taking classes.Right now there is a major demand for translation in those languages so I am making a decent wage while I pay my way though school.I might well consider quitting my nursery part time job and start translating full time.I only took the nursery job because I have an interest in native plant species.I could easily afford to live in Detroit but I am not a tough person and moving into such a town would be a a huge step to take since I would be alone.

I think that contacting local churches would be a great idea to find tennants.I do not have a discriminatory bone in my body and I do not mind people of other faiths at all as my family is very diversive when it comes to religions and I myself happen to be LDS which is not really popular in other parts of the US.

Building a community center sounds like a really good idea because it would attract good people who are trying to make a better life for themselves and it is those very people that I am trying to attract.I would even consider paying to give on the job training to those who do not have the skill set currently to renovate homes or to work on a farm.It would give people who would not otherwise have that kind of opportunity a chance to learn and earn a higher wage which is part of my plan.Plus if they turn out to be reliable I can contact them for more work in the future.Establishing a good reputation in the community is also important.If the neighbors care for my cause then I will have a much higher chance to succeed.
    papillonaquatique
    I was merely trying to exist in your world for a brief moment and illustrating to others that I couldn't understand why/how someone who has access to 20 years of a normal persons income and can speak 6 different languages would have to work part time at a nursery to pay their way through school. My comment of the LSD trip had nothing to do with your LDS beliefs but rather my view of your rambling conversation of investing in Detroit and with so many contradicting statements I had to through the BullS*%t flag. But I do agree with Sumas that it is entertaining and interesting and hey now we are talking about growing the nectar of the gods for medicinal purposes so that is a good thing. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings and that we can still be virtual friends and I do hope you succeed in your capital venture plan. I would suggest you target any of the lower eastside Detroit neighborhoods [[between Chalmers and Dickerson) as they currently provide lots of available farmland and are devoid of congested housing.

You said yesterday that you are 20 years old... then you said that back in 2000 [[ten years ago) you wisely advised your grandparents to invest in gold as a ten year old kid. I think I smoked out CPer!!!

"I am only 20 yrs old currently.

I learned the hobby as a child from my grandmother and I convinced my grandparents to buy certain ones back in 2000 right before gold started to rise
    I smell a CPer.

I can see doting grandparents seriously entertaining the idea of a bright 10 year old.

Brock7
    I'm waiting for my 8 year old to turn 10 so I can have her plan my retirement...WAIT just one moment if she is 8 and I'm 45 that means I won't be able to retire, back to plan A.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    I can see doting grandparents seriously entertaining the idea of a bright 10 year old.
    I can see grandparents rolling over in their graves at the thought of their granddaughter prodigy squandering their life-savings on a "get-socially-conscious-quick" scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I can see grandparents rolling over in their graves at the thought of their granddaughter prodigy squandering their life-savings on a "get-socially-conscious-quick" scheme.
    Truly. But throw in a little religiosity, and they might be fine with it. If you see your wages as your earnings [[sic), and suddenly come into a bunch of money because the gold you bought is suddenly more valuable because of - what, political instability lowering confidence in the worldwide economy and its fiat currencies, huh? - you may well hold the belief that you are obligated to do what the world's fat cats never seem to. I understand everyone's cynicicism, but we should humor PapillonAquatique even if her story sounds a little unusual. As some have pointed out, we may hit on something useful in here, even if some out there in the ether are just having fun. And who's to say we don't have readers lurking out there who might be in a position to take a halfway decent idea and run with it.
    We certainly don't want to lose out to other towns because PapillonAquatique got frustrated with Detroit's pessimistic attitude.

PapillonAquatique, you have to understand 2 things. Firstly, metro Detroit has seen 30 years of decline and frustration, it has seen so many hopes dashed that some will be cautious about getting them up again. Secondly, as was mentioned earlier, there are other Detroit-related discussion sites out there, of course, and one of these in particular relishes the idea of having a little fun with us boosters and idealists, just to have some fun being superior. They, too, think you may be a "CP'er," although they're on the fence, and one of them has commented that Cub must be bleeping sick of getting a bunch of stupid emails all the time, or something to that effect, in response to the suggestion above that you contact him. I'm pretty new around here, but this seems to have been going on for years now, and some people are probably sick, just sick, of trying to come up with intelligent ways to revitalize Detroit only to be proven wrong all the time, and then proceed to have their faces rubbed in it by a bunch of teasing naysayers. It's not constructive, but it's also no fun when you're on the receiving end, I imagine.
    Back to the issue at hand, Papillon, I reiterate my business plan competition idea.Get some locals to work out a sensible plan, fund it, and then come for a visit to see if you actually want to live here. Might be that it's too cold for you. But if you're looking to put those funds to good use and not just travel the world or bathe in the blue oceans of the south Pacific, Detroit's a good place to start.

Don't do it. You'll be sorry.

One oddball I idea I have is of an urban park where peoples cremains could be buried for a flat nominal fee. Monies would be put in trust to maintain said park Memorial trees could be planted or boulders like Its Jeff on Belle Isle. Might call the Michigan Cremation Society for info on liscensing. Heck make it a pet park instead, people seem to spend more money on departed pets then relatives.

I am only half funning. Personally, when I pass this life I want my ashes scattered on fresh water, any Michigan lake would do.

I vote for Hamtramck, for the reasons stated above.

I cannot believe you guys are still falling for cr^p like this. Seriously?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4