Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

So is this thread one of Downtown Lady's c**k pinchers? How do we know? Sounds horrendous. Thanks for bringing this to light, DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    So is this thread one of Downtown Lady's c**k pinchers? How do we know? Sounds horrendous. Thanks for bringing this to light, DL.
    Haha...I mean, huh? I think they're punchers not pinchers but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    So is this thread one of Downtown Lady's c**k pinchers?
    It is believed to be so by posters elsewhere in their "Spot the CPer" thread. Much fun was had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by papillonaquatique View Post
    Is the land by the riverfront still available for sale?I would that that land would have the most potential future value and as such I would be quite interested in it at least just to have a portion of it for future development or an office space.
    Yes, land by the riverfront will be your best bet. Traditionally, that's where property values are really going to go up when the economy turns around. Be patient. Something will come up. Even in Windsor, the only highrises being built in the city are along the riverfront as luxury condos or retirement communities. Retirees love quality living along the waterfront in Windsor and are constantly pouring in from Toronto and Vancouver. Plenty of smaller houses near the river still being knocked for mansions too. If you want to invest in Canada, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Utah is in the south now?
    I was born in Texas and then my family moved to Florida.We moved to Utah almost three years ago.I spent most of my life in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    How shall I explain this? Members of another Detroit forum [[which shall remain unnamed) take great delight in making fun of this forum. So much so that you have to wonder whether they have anything interesting going on in their own lives. But I digress...

Members of that forum love to stir things up on this forum, specifically by creating fake posts that are full of exaggeration, huge requests, naivete, and so on, just to get crazy threads started, all for their amusement. When they do this, they call themselves cockpunchers.

Now, since mention of the other forum is forbidden on this forum, this post will be deleted by administration in 3, 2, 1....
    I am not aware of any other Detroit forums and although I have been called many things in my life I have never been called a 'cockpuncher'.That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!I assure you that I am indeed genuine and I am only here to try to gain a deeper understand and respect for Detroit and what life is like for the residents.If I have caused any trouble here on this forum I am sorry as I had no intention to make a bad first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Yes, land by the riverfront will be your best bet. Traditionally, that's where property values are really going to go up when the economy turns around. Be patient. Something will come up. Even in Windsor, the only highrises being built in the city are along the riverfront as luxury condos or retirement communities. Retirees love quality living along the waterfront in Windsor and are constantly pouring in from Toronto and Vancouver. Plenty of smaller houses near the river still being knocked for mansions too. If you want to invest in Canada, let me know.

Water front properties are the most likely to make a profit due to their location but are there many businesses that exist on the water currently or even future projects that are in the works?Is the area very active and popular with the local population?

Although property in Canada sounds lovely I am an American first and foremost and would never consider owning land in another nation.Also I think you have to actually be a legal citizen and resident of a country for so many years before you can own land in another country.

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2009...ming.cnnmoney/

^

Videos like that inspire me and make me wonder if it would be possible to do something like that on a larger scale.Maybe I could set up a local farmers market.I don't think that would be an unrealistic goal.

I suggest starting small. I have been investing a dollar a week in micro-property. My plan is to amass an entire square foot on which to grow a tomato plant. http://makeloveland.com/ My free farmville gift from 7-eleven with drink purchase may come in handy with this.

Never hurts to dream.

When you do eventually get the land to grow a tomato plant on might I suggest the Black Prince heirloom variety of tomato because it has a fantastic taste and a black coloring that will stun everyone who sees it.There is nothing wrong with dreaming.I feel that dreaming might well dream Detroit right back to life.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming.I feel that dreaming might well dream Detroit right back to life.
    I fully agree with you. We are taught to think small [[realistic) and to give up.

This tomato variety you speak of sounds good.

A teaspoon a wishful thinking is long over due.

It is a Russian variety that is actually quite pretty.

http://www.restaurantwidow.com/images/tomato_2_1.jpg

Oh my money is in a very safe investment.It started off with US gold coins.I learned the hobby as a child from my grandmother and I convinced my grandparents to buy certain ones back in 2000 right before gold started to rise.They figured since they were so old and that their initial investment of almost a million dollars would be enough for me that the steady price of gold would ensure that I saw all of that money.They turned their nest egg into a fortune that they left to me.I then took the coins and sold them and now I have the $500,000.00 in the bank and another $ 1,500,000.00 in a balanced stock portfolio so that it can continue to grow.

Working with local people is a great idea but I worry that people might take advantage of an inexperienced lily white chick from the south.Under no circumstances would I ever let anyone know how much money I have or that I was alone.That would be a recipe for disaster!
    I haven't even read the next 3 pages but this is starting to smell to me. Anyone that has 2 million behind them does not do research on internet forums. They contract agents to check things out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post
    I haven't even read the next 3 pages but this is starting to smell to me. Anyone that has 2 million behind them does not do research on internet forums. They contract agents to check things out for them.
    I am just someone who got a lucky inheritance and is looking to do something worthwhile with it.There are tons of other cities and towns in America and I am simply looking around and learning more about each one that interests me so I can decide on what I want to do.Is there anything terribly wrong with that?Is everyone this cynical?I think that Detroit has some potential but I know nothing about the city or the people living there.I figured I could check out a forum or two and see what people have to say about it and see if there is some kind of good that I could do.If I had known I was going to get this kind of reception I wouldn't have bothered.Goodness!

I have to admit that I started to wonder if this thread was for real. Then I thought who cares. It is fun trying to figure out what could be done with a sizable nest egg.

If I were to start an urban farm I would do two crops. Raspberries and gladiolas. I might throw in some rhubarb. Raspberries bring a high price mostly because they are labor intensive to harvest. Many farmers in Ontario plowed their plants under because there was no affordable labor pool.

Gladiolas, because they are easy to grow, have a long growing season if planted in stages and has a real value as a cut flower. Ten stems, three bucks. In addition if the corms are dug up each fall, they have baby corms so with due diligence the innitial investment is the only one shot large cost.

We had friends over by Lake Erie in Canada. One lady had a small truck farm operation. She put her produce out in a stall on a two lane highway. She priced everything and customers just put their money in a small strong box. It was so charming. Sadly that would not work in Detroit. No doubt the produce would be safe but the money box would be long gone.

I love my city and perceptions of danger are highly overstated. On the other hand crime does happen all too frequently. If you feel threatened by our "not so big" city but feel a compulsion to do good here, align yourself with a religious organization that can provide you with an umbrella of comfort, love and support. Start a 501c3 in addition.

I am up early since my ancient dog needed to be let out. I had two coyotes at my gate. Very wierd! I live in a high density city area and that was a sight I was not prepared for at 4:00 am.

This post pre-supposes you're legit.

If not I am still amused.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I have to admit that I started to wonder if this thread was for real. Then I thought who cares. It is fun trying to figure out what could be done with a sizable nest egg.

If I were to start an urban farm I would do two crops. Raspberries and gladiolas. I might throw in some rhubarb. Raspberries bring a high price mostly because they are labor intensive to harvest. Many farmers in Ontario plowed their plants under because there was no affordable labor pool.

Gladiolas, because they are easy to grow, have a long growing season if planted in stages and has a real value as a cut flower. Ten stems, three bucks. In addition if the corms are dug up each fall, they have baby corms so with due diligence the innitial investment is the only one shot large cost.

We had friends over by Lake Erie in Canada. One lady had a small truck farm operation. She put her produce out in a stall on a two lane highway. She priced everything and customers just put their money in a small strong box. It was so charming. Sadly that would not work in Detroit. No doubt the produce would be safe but the money box would be long gone.

I love my city and perceptions of danger are highly overstated. On the other hand crime does happen all too frequently. If you feel threatened by our "not so big" city but feel a compulsion to do good here, align yourself with a religious organization that can provide you with an umbrella of comfort, love and support. Start a 501c3 in addition.

I am up early since my ancient dog needed to be let out. I had two coyotes at my gate. Very wierd! I live in a high density city area and that was a sight I was not prepared for at 4:00 am.

This post pre-supposes you're legit.

If not I am still amused.

Gladiolas...Interesting.I had not thought of planting flowers.It would be a pretty way to diversify at least.A really good substitute to raspberries are thimbleberries because thimbleberry plants do not produce those annoying thorns and the berries are just as sweet.

I plan on making a call to my bishop to see if he can put me in touch with the LDS Temple there and maybe they can fill me in on some things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzX-X...eature=related

^

I would love to get something like that going.

What breed is your dog?I happen to have a long haired mini daschund.

He is a Puggle. Cross breed Pug/Beagle mix. Great dog but he is so old his bladder is weak. We like to think he is the original. Strangly this newish breed sells for big bucks. He is the first small dog we have ever owned. He was a rescue dog and I got suckered into adopting him. Must say we really adore him and definitely recommend the breed as a great family dog. We have owned St Bernards, Danes and Mastiffs. Much as I like BIG dogs would probably get another Puggle.

Not familiar with the berry you mentioned, might it be something like a Gooseberry? Now that I think of it probably not, Gooseberries have evil thorns on the plant.

Bearinabox Guest

Is everyone this cynical?
    Your story is extremely implausible. Even if it's true, you can't fault folks for being suspicious.

He is a Puggle. Cross breed Pug/Beagle mix. Great dog but he is so old his bladder is weak. We like to think he is the original. Strangly this newish breed sells for big bucks. He is the first small dog we have ever owned. He was a rescue dog and I got suckered into adopting him. Must say we really adore him and definitely recommend the breed as a great family dog. We have owned St Bernards, Danes and Mastiffs. Much as I like BIG dogs would probably get another Puggle.

Not familiar with the berry you mentioned, might it be something like a Gooseberry? Now that I think of it probably not, Gooseberries have evil thorns on the plant.

Beagles are wonderful dogs but their howl prevents me from having one.I have slowly discovered that bigger dogs tend to be quite friendly and I would consider getting a Boxer in a heart beat if there was not a restriction in my neighborhood.

I have never had a gooseberry before so I wouldn't know.Thimbleberries look just like raspberries the only difference is they are shaped like a small thimble.

Good lord girl, do you ever sleep?

Boxers are a great dog. The big disadvange to larger dogs is their short life span. I remember thinking when I brought Putz home Oh my god this animal could live forever. He has been with us 7 years now and I shudder to think we might lose him soon. And yes the yodell is obnoxious unless you find it funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Your story is extremely implausible. Even if it's true, you can't fault folks for being suspicious.

I am only here to learn about Detroit so I can decide if investing there is the right choice for me.I don't really see why anyone would even care enough to be suspicious about that.Networking and learning about the services available is exactly what I should be doing.Some of these replies are filled with a wealth of information and resources which is what I am looking for.I had to start somewhere and I think I could do alot worse than to ask those who actually live there and know what they are talking about instead of going straight to some agent who is only looking to score a quick flip on a property.

Since you are here maybe you could help me out with some info.What part of Detroit is the active city part of the town and what section is the ghetto?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Detroit&state=MI

Good lord girl, do you ever sleep?

Boxers are a great dog. The big disadvange to larger dogs is their short life span. I remember thinking when I brought Putz home Oh my god this animal could live forever. He has been with us 7 years now and I shudder to think we might lose him soon. And yes the yodell is obnoxious unless you find it funny.

I am a night owl.I do part of my school work online which is why I am online most of the time.

My sister's boyfriend brought his Boxer named Gracie by our house yesterday and I fell in love with what a sweet well tempered dog she is.

I have a neighbor with a Beagle that is 14 years old!Those dogs have a very long lifespan indeed but I think that is a good thing.Especially for young children who do not wish to see the family pet die.

Invest in Hamtramck. Its a viable urban neighborhood with decent housing stock and a place where a business can do well. Also, city government is more responsive that Detroit city government.

Bearinabox Guest

Since you are here maybe you could help me out with some info.What part of Detroit is the active city part of the town and what section is the ghetto?
    It's really pretty subjective. How people answer this question generally tells you more about which parts of the city they're most familiar with than which parts are objectively better or worse.

Water front properties are the most likely to make a profit due to their location but are there many businesses that exist on the water currently or even future projects that are in the works?Is the area very active and popular with the local population?

Although property in Canada sounds lovely I am an American first and foremost and would never consider owning land in another nation.Also I think you have to actually be a legal citizen and resident of a country for so many years before you can own land in another country.
    Too vague a question. Some businesses work. Some businesses don't. Properties near the waterfront are more likely to appeal to seniors and seniors who came from out of town seem to be the ones who still have money in Detroit. The last dozen Detroiters I met on some of the local tours were all retirees that moved to Detroit from another city and bought houses in Indian Village or somewhere near the water. Near the water is fairly solid.

Leamington, just outside of Windsor, is known as the Tomato capital of Canada. This area has great soil and climate for it. There are also many success local vineyards. So, I can't see why farming wouldn't work for you.

You don't need to be a citizen of Canada to own property in Canada in your own personal name. I've met tonnes of Detroiters who commute back and forth to Detroit with the Nexus pass and own houses in Windsor. It's a pretty common thing. You're just not eligible for universal medicare. There's a partial ownership residency requirement in Ontario for c-corps, but there's plenty of companies that set up share trusts and other instruments in volume to make it workable.

I don't care if you set up shop in Detroit or Windsor for whatever personal reasons. I like both sides of the river, there was a unity and history to the way both sides expanded, and I have faith in it's future or I wouldn't have moved down here from Toronto.. Good luck to you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast