Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would go nekid before being caught in a speedo.

As far as swimming in the river, some are just too frail for that sort of thing. Your probably better off at home.

DetroitPole Guest

I used to go to that hole years ago but then apparently somebody spread the word to the worthless, stupid hipster community who proceeded to leave a ton of garbage there [[I know it was them because I saw them doing it every time I went there). I used to pick it up, then I gave it back to them one time, then I gave up. Now I spend my time on the beach, which is actually nicer, provided it isn't too busy, and the people are more normal than a bunch of lame hipster idiots.

I hate when people knock on swimming in the Detroit River. The bays and inlets of Lake St. Clair are absolutely disgusting cesspools. Metro Beach and Memorial Park are ponds of stagnant water and almost always closed. A lot of the same people who hate on the Detroit River are the same white trash who wade around in the shit, piss, vomit, and semen at the fat digusting slob fest known as "Jobbie Nooner". There is nothing wrong with the Detroit River at Belle Isle. Just because something has Detroit in its name doesn't mean its fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I used to go to that hole years ago but then apparently somebody spread the word to the worthless, stupid hipster community who proceeded to leave a ton of garbage there [[I know it was them because I saw them doing it every time I went there). I used to pick it up, then I gave it back to them one time, then I gave up. Now I spend my time on the beach, which is actually nicer, provided it isn't too busy, and the people are more normal than a bunch of lame hipster idiots.

I hate when people knock on swimming in the Detroit River. The bays and inlets of Lake St. Clair are absolutely disgusting cesspools. Metro Beach and Memorial Park are ponds of stagnant water and almost always closed. A lot of the same people who hate on the Detroit River are the same white trash who wade around in the shit, piss, vomit, and semen at the fat digusting slob fest known as "Jobbie Nooner". There is nothing wrong with the Detroit River at Belle Isle. Just because something has Detroit in its name doesn't mean its fucked up.
    +

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the water that surrounds Gull Island [[Jobbie Nooner) and the water at Metro Beach is the same water that flows by Belle Isle. Technically Belle Isle is actually downstream from both, so you are swimming in the "piss and vomit" from Jobbie Nooner, and the "stagnant" water from Metro.

That being said, unless you decide to drink it, or have a weakened immune system you're not going to have a problem at any of them.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-04-10 at 05:25 PM.

Aside from the occasional E. Coli problems, I've read several recent stories noting how the water is now less polluted than in the past. A beaver sighting and increased fish flies are good indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    A beaver sighting and increased fish flies are good indicators.
    Yes, ergo the threatened indecent exposure charge, though I don't know what you mean by fish flies and I don't think I care to find out.
    Last edited by fryar; July-04-10 at 07:23 PM.

Here is a picture of the beach I mentioned above.

To write off the entire Detroit River as a sewer is a gross exaggeration. Water off Belle Isle is fine and is quite acceptable in water quality tests. Rapid current keeps it aerated and too fast-moving for e-coli issues. Downstream it is a different issue because there is a lot of industrial waste and the big Detroit sewage treatment plant releases. There is an occasional threat in the few days following very heavy rainfalls where sanitary systems in Macomb County cannot keep up and raw sewage releases can occur. Yet even those get diluted by the time they flow through Lake St. Clair and reach the straits.

Mayfly season starts early
    "To us, the mayflies are sort of a key indicator species -- an indicator of pollution levels in the waters," [John Hartig, who manages the Detroit International Wildlife Refuge along the Detroit River] said. "When there is a lot of contamination in the water ... oxygen gets used up and the mayfly larvae die."

A healthy mayfly population also means good things for the native fish populations.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-04-10 at 10:35 PM.

Beavers have returned to the Detroit River at Edison's Conners Creek Power Plant
    The first beavers confirmed on the river since the late 1800s. Their arrival made international news and was mentioned by Jay Leno. DTE engineer and Green Team member Craig Tylenda and Wildlife Habitat Council Regional Programs Manager Martha Gruelle stand near the beaver lodge along the shoreline of the cooling water intake canal at Edison's Conners Creek Power Plant.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-04-10 at 10:45 PM.

Default again, july 5th

just a heads up. happened again today. two coppers with rough attitues threatening to give out tickets for "indecent exposure" [[underwear), dogs off leashes... nobody was being rowdy. cops drove the trail out to the beach going pretty fast -maybe 25mph. almost hit two of my friends. heard that they might be southwest gang squad cops who got transferred to the ilse. nothing confirmed yet though.

I was there as well.

Again, what burns me is its a public park, and while the cops said we were not supposed to be back there the well worn trail back is dotted with kiosks with maps telling you where you are. One of the kiosks is directly in front of the main swim area. Why would they put kiosks with maps in a place no one is supposed to be? I heard there were other cops by earlier in a boat that didnt have a problem with anyone there but they told a couple of boats they couldnt be in the canal.

I was there on Monday also, as well, too. I must admit I am rather annoyed with the Detroit Police for asking us to leave the area. An area that had no signs indicating that our presence was not allowed. In fact as many others have already pointed out there are many amenities in the general area, grills, map stanchions, maintained footpaths and more.

As we made our way out, we passed large “NO SWIMMING IN THIS AREA” signs. There had to be at least 20 people in the water near these signs. The same officers who pooped on our afternoon drove right past those folks without batting an eye. This reeks of selective enforcement.

I’d love to hear any legal opinions on how to handle the situation. Like the next time I go, can I stand my ground and refuse to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    I’d love to hear any legal opinions on how to handle the situation. Like the next time I go, can I stand my ground and refuse to leave?
    Sure. Then they can [[a) let the air out of the tires on your bike, [[b) throw your property into the water or [[c) arrest you by slamming you to the ground. Take your pick. Then you can try to sue them for a few years and maybe win a few mil. Wouldn't it be nice if you could have a raft out on the water with a few video cameras? They might shape up their act, but that's the only way I can see it happening in the short term.

hamtown, perhaps you should take this up with the police department? Is there any kind of Bell Isle substation? You could ask to speak with a supervisor, and explain that there are no signs indicating that you cannot go there, and rather, that there are actually trails, grills, etc. That may not get anywhere, but it seems like a better option than resisting the cops. That will not likely end well.

Default Bummer

You guys should call Ron Kubie, he's all about disenfranchised swimmers

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Aside from the occasional E. Coli problems, I've read several recent stories noting how the water is now less polluted than in the past. A beaver sighting and increased fish flies are good indicators.
    Good indicators that you are at jobbie nooner surrounded by Macomb County's elite...

Django, we also go to the watering hole. Never had any problems, although it is getting a little too popular for my taste. The only legal reason I can think for the cops saying you can't be back there is that the canals and the infrastructure in that part of the Island were part of the original water system for Detroit, and may not technically be part of Belle Isle Park. I know people kayak back there and I think there are signs further back in the canal for boats saying it is off limits. There was a lot of construction work there a few years ago but I'm not sure what for exactly. I do think it may still be part of the Water Department. Sounds like the cops you ran into might have been trying to hang their hat on this technicality or they were just in an ornery mood. Or there may be some directive to keep people out of the water except at the official beach after the girl drowned recently. I agree it is totally safe there because the water is shallow and it is not in the actual river. If you were to swim out of the canal and into the river, that might be a different story.

Lowell, the beach you speak of is I believe very near where the girl drowned. They found her body a day or two later against the pier in your picture where she drifted. Reports of the drowning said the current is treacherous in that area.

And as for swimming off Hart Plaza, one year at the Jazz Fest we arrived just after some guy reportedly took off his shirt and went for a swim. Coast Guard boats and a helicopter were circling everywhere looking for him. About 15 minutes later the frogman unit showed up.

[quote=gleeadnauseam;160960]just a heads up. happened again today. two coppers with rough attitues threatening to give out tickets for "indecent exposure" [[underwear), dogs off leashes... quote]

Just a suggestion, wear a bathing suit and keep your dogs on a leash.
    The fewer the things they can actually ticket you for, the more leverage you have in the situation.

Curiousity got the best of me so I had to check this beach out first-hand. While there on [[7/13/10) I saw what appeared to be undercover cops or possibly a scene from a new James Bond movie. As a special bonus a Detroit artist can be seen at work. Some of the people on this forum may recognize him but I will protect his anonymity. Here is the video link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLedFWUcAGM

I was there on Monday also, as well, too. I must admit I am rather annoyed with the Detroit Police for asking us to leave the area. An area that had no signs indicating that our presence was not allowed. In fact as many others have already pointed out there are many amenities in the general area, grills, map stanchions, maintained footpaths and more.

As we made our way out, we passed large “NO SWIMMING IN THIS AREA” signs. There had to be at least 20 people in the water near these signs. The same officers who pooped on our afternoon drove right past those folks without batting an eye. This reeks of selective enforcement.

I'm confused... you walked by a large NO SWIMMING IN THIS AREA" sign and are wondering if the cops can tell you not to swim there?

with regard to the "selective enforcement", has the area developed a cruisey reputation that the cops are trying to quash by kicking groups of guys out of the area? I've never really heard of Belle Isle having a ramble, but I'm not in the loop. If it's that, then you're s.o.l, apparently cops can shoot to kill in rambles and be relieved of any responsibility.
    Last edited by bailey; August-09-10 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm confused... you walked by a large NO SWIMMING IN THIS AREA" sign and are wondering if the cops can tell you not to swim there?
    The "No Swimming In This Area" sign is far down riverbank rd-nowhere near hipster beach.

The "No Swimming In This Area" sign is far down riverbank rd-nowhere near hipster beach.
    well, I guess I'd have to ask, are there any "Swimming allowed"/Swim at your own risk type signs around there? Just because you were swimming in between two signs that said no swimming doesnt mean the area between is ok for swimming. The city owns the island and gets to set the rules on where people can and can not swim.

I understand the complaints about being rousted from an area with trials and kiosks and such, but being told not to swim in an area where swimming isnt allowed seems like a strange thing to be upset about.

However, I do agree that it's a silly rule to enforce, considering what usually goes on any given summer evening on the island.
    Last edited by bailey; August-09-10 at 09:47 AM.

Gianni,

If by 'near' you mean in the same general area...like the eastern portion of the island...then you'd be correct.

According to a fisherman I met near ItsJeff's bench a few weeks back, it was on the COAST GUARD side of the eastern end...a few hundred yards west of the bench. He saw it all go down.

She went in on the shipping lane side on the huge rocks.

Cheers

LodgeDodger Guest

Spirit, please remove that video. It isn't nice to post pics of folks in their underwear.

I would love to know where this "secret" beach is located.

The first rule of freak beach is that we dont talk about freak beach.

I was told last week that the Detroit Police call itpatchouli creek. A fitting name in my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast