Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

kraig, you make some very good points but it is very tiring to listen to the parking excuses that are always made around here. Are people around here that fat and lazy that they won't walk 2 blocks to get to the place they want to be? If that is the case, you might as well level Downtown Detroit now and start building the same strip mall that can be seen in about 3000 locations around the Detroit metro area. By the way, it is cheaper to get a parking ticket in Detroit than parking in one of the over abundant private parking lots that are available, just make sure you do not get towed. Regardless, unfortunately the business model does not exist for a BW3's to exist downtown at this present time. Once a larger population exists and the city government gets their shit together, you might see a national chain pop up. Until then, the local small businesses are the ones who are going to make the real difference in this town, we are needed. An unsubsidized national chain will be a sign that things are starting to change.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    kraig, you make some very good points but it is very tiring to listen to the parking excuses that are always made around here. Are people around here that fat and lazy that they won't walk 2 blocks to get to the place they want to be? If that is the case, you might as well level Downtown Detroit now and start building the same strip mall that can be seen in about 3000 locations around the Detroit metro area. By the way, it is cheaper to get a parking ticket in Detroit than parking in one of the over abundant private parking lots that are available, just make sure you do not get towed. Regardless, unfortunately the business model does not exist for a BW3's to exist downtown at this present time. Once a larger population exists and the city government gets their shit together, you might see a national chain pop up. Until then, the local small businesses are the ones who are going to make the real difference in this town, we are needed. An unsubsidized national chain will be a sign that things are starting to change.

The parking situation isn't an excuse, it's a reality. Not too many people are going to drive to an area where they have to pay more to park than they do for their meal when they have better options.

The person that lives at Mound and 14 Mile is not going to bypass the BW3 at Mound and 12 mile to come to Detroit, walk 2 blocks, and watch a game when they know that the garages are charging premium prices on game nights and that parking enforcement is extended past its normal 6:00 PM cut off time because they know that there are going to be a lot of visitors downtown.

One of our biggest problems in Detroit is that we keep trying to force people to avoid logic, when what we should try to do is realize that our businesses have to compete with surrounding areas, and that we need to plan things in a way that creates synergy and convenience for those that are willing to come visit us. Successful establishments cater to the needs of their targeted market, not the other way around. If you don't believe me, go to the Dequindre Cut on Gratiot and look for the old Joe Muer's restaurant.

The we need you, but screw you attitude has been doing this City and the metro area a grave injustice for decades.

Funny thing about Buffalo Wings, they taste just like chicken!

Fudruckers and IHOP are both on Jefferson near Chene Park, if that's not downtown, than what is it the Eastside? I personally don't care for the food at Wild Wings, better chicken served at KFC.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Fudruckers and IHOP are both on Jefferson near Chene Park, if that's not downtown, than what is it the Eastside? I personally don't care for the food at Wild Wings, better chicken served at KFC.

According to the maps that Planning & Development have, Fuddruckers and IHOP are in what's called the "Model Neighborhood" area. To us regular people it's just eastside.

I can't argue about KFC. If it wasn't for the food tasting good, KFC would have shut down a long time ago. Of all the major franchises out there, it has to be the worse ran one. In fact, it's probably the only franchise were the locations in the suburbs are just as slow, if not slower, than the locations in the cities. Which is rare.

I know there's a market for Buffalo Wild Wings up at Wayne State. I've actually had a few conversations this year with people about how we "need" one in Detroit. But I think one would thrive downtown if it were near Comerica Park/ Ford Field.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    ...plus, the Broderick Tower renovation is becoming more and more promising....
    how's that, exactly?

Port Huron just got a BW3 [[I've never stopped calling it that, been going there since I was a kid in Ohio). And if PoHo can get one, Detroit can, too. The PoHo site is in a former Damon's location and is near a mall and box stores and other chain eateries, but Port Huron/Fort Gratiot Township don't have the population. On the other hand, it's along a major thoroughfare for the Thumb, but I see Woodward being just as busy and possibly having more of the target audience BW3 wants.

I know I'd go there. The boneless wings and honey BBQ sauce will be listed as the cause of death in my obit.

Crain's food writer Nate Skid talks to the people that own the Detroit rights to BW3 and what they plan to do in Detroit ... it hinges partially on Quicken, Cobo and other stuff:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/skid

BShea - Why do you feel that the Port Huron/Fort Gratiot area does not have the population to support one? If you throw in Marysville, the Port Huron area has over 50k population. Don't forget neighboring Sarnia, as many Ontarians travel over for a much more desirable shopping experience than what's available on the Canadian side. I think that it will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Port Huron just got a BW3 [[I've never stopped calling it that, been going there since I was a kid in Ohio). And if PoHo can get one, Detroit can, too. The PoHo site is in a former Damon's location and is near a mall and box stores and other chain eateries, but Port Huron/Fort Gratiot Township don't have the population. On the other hand, it's along a major thoroughfare for the Thumb, but I see Woodward being just as busy and possibly having more of the target audience BW3 wants.

I know I'd go there. The boneless wings and honey BBQ sauce will be listed as the cause of death in my obit.
    It's actually not in Port Huron. It's in Fort Gratiot, which is a suburb of Port Huron. All of the big box stores, the mall, chain restaurants, etc are in Ft. Gratiot.

why does Buffalo Wild Wings get called BW3?

i only see 2 Ws....

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post

i only see 2 Ws....
    I think it was originally Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. Weck is a type of crusty bread they make around Buffalo and serve with roast beef piled high and topped with hot horseradish.
    Last edited by jcole; May-31-09 at 10:47 AM.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post

i only see 2 Ws....
    You're allowed to read the first page of the thread, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    And why it is popular in A2 I'll never know. I don't understand why people go there when they can avail themselves of much nicer establishments, except for the fact that they show every NFL games and the Jets fans needed somewhere to go.
    Having a few national chains downtown is good for various reasons, but to the extent that we get more bars-restaurants [[which is what we have the largest supply of), I'd rather not see a national chain siphon away money.
    Name 3 good places to watch a game in Ann Arbor. If all 3 either don't have plasma tv's or double as dance clubs, there's your answer to why the B-Dubs does so well.

Quote Originally Posted by ghein View Post
    Name 3 good places to watch a game in Ann Arbor. If all 3 either don't have plasma tv's or double as dance clubs, there's your answer to why the B-Dubs does so well.
    Brown Jug
    Scorekeeper's
    Ashley's

Default Bw3

BW is primarily a college town chain. Not especially family oriented, and not what I would consider a downtown eatery. They cater to young kids eating overpriced wings on paper plates with plastic silverware. Lots of loud TV's and noise. Beer is not cheap.

I can see putting one near Wayne or Uof D, but not downtown. They [[BW) favor large mall type parking lots directly in front. Many are located within strip malls.

We can do better!

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    BW is primarily a college town chain. Not especially family oriented, and not what I would consider a downtown eatery. They cater to young kids eating overpriced wings on paper plates with plastic silverware. Lots of loud TV's and noise. Beer is not cheap.

I can see putting one near Wayne or Uof D, but not downtown. They [[BW) favor large mall type parking lots directly in front. Many are located within strip malls.

We can do better!

Finally, someone else that realizes parking, or lack thereof, is going to be a factor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3