Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I want more quality grocery options near me..

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Within two miles of our HW home are five Kroger stores. Three of them have been remodeled in the past couple of years, and in total 4 of them are "big" stores. Throw in a Spartan store on the 94 service drive. and in addition to other "food retail" there are six stores. All of these stores are close enough to Detroit and all have healthy numbers of Detroiters in them. Not sure what my point is, other than if it was simply a problem of having "Detroiters" as customers, I doubt there would be so many stores so near, but not in, city limits.
    Insurance costs, police response time and all the other crap that makes running a business in the "city limits" a pain in the ass

I always get a kick out of these threads. "OMG the media keeps saying there are no grocery stores in Detroit, but I can think of 6!" Yeah, like 6 grocery stores in a city of 900,000 people is normal or sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    I always get a kick out of these threads. "OMG the media keeps saying there are no grocery stores in Detroit, but I can think of 6!" Yeah, like 6 grocery stores in a city of 900,000 people is normal or sufficient.
    Anyone who thinks there are only 6 decent grocery stores in detroit needs to get off the freeway a bit more and drive the surface streets in Detroit.

It always amazes me how people have plenty to say when it comes to negative things about Detroit but are actually very ignorant of how it really is here.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Hahaha what a brilliant analysis...national chains aren't flocking to Detroit because citizens of Detroit aren't nice to them...where do you come up with this shit, seriously?

I can just picture it, a boardroom at Wal-Mart Headquarters, "No, we don't want to do a Detroit store. People there aren't very respectful."

You clearly must be in high finance. Or just high.

Oh by the way, can you provide me with some evidence to back up your claim? Oh, all you've got is that you hate black people? Got it.
    National chain stores are in business to make a profit, they go where the money is. Obviously, it isn't in the city of Detroit. If you go just past 8 mile road, national chains are al over, regardless of the populaton being black or white. I'm sure the hostile business environment in the city doesn't help the situation.

Before I fled to the suburbs in the mid nineties, I used to do most of my grocery shopping at J&A Market at the corner of Vernor and Green.... once a month I would make the trek to Melvindale for a big grocery shopping though.... at the time there was a Farmer Jack right off Vernor, but I got robbed outside of that store so just going there gave me a bad taste in my mouth

For those living in/near downtown, the Indian Village Market on Jefferson @ Iroquois is hard to beat. Clean, well-stocked and well-run.

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    Anyone who thinks there are only 6 decent grocery stores in detroit needs to get off the freeway a bit more and drive the surface streets in Detroit.

It always amazes me how people have plenty to say when it comes to negative things about Detroit but are actually very ignorant of how it really is here.
    It depends on one's defintion of "decent."

I can only think of one FULL service grocery store on the entire eastside, and that store reportedly has rats roaming through it.

Even then all the stores tend to have higher mark ups on their shelved items and their meat/produce quality [[while cheaper) compared to the average store in the suburbs is sub-par at best.

Some of the stores in Detroit are OK at first glance [[maybe to get a few miscellaneous items), but I wouldn't do big shopping at any of them.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-02-10 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    As far as the Chaldean owned markets. You got to give these people credit for going into the neighborhoods they are in and conducting business, or there wouldn't be any other choices.

As far as the selection, I think we can all do better going into the suburbs and going to a big box store, but for the convience for some people they are the only game in town.

They do charge a bit more than they should on some items, but the one thing I do not appreciate is that I can't count how many times I have gone into some of these stores and have seen expired food sitting on the shelves, or food that has been on the shelves so long you can see the dust on the packaging.
    I'll give the Chaldeons plenty of credit for their operations, they found a heck of a niche market in Detroit. If their overhead wasn't low they probably couldn't survive here either. The fact that they're family run with very little inventory is what keeps them in business - a few loaves of stale bread, a couple cases of beer and a lotto machine, before you know it they're living in Bloomfield Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by DorianWrites View Post
    For those living in/near downtown, the Indian Village Market on Jefferson @ Iroquois is hard to beat. Clean, well-stocked and well-run.
    I'll have to give this place a try. Right now, Honeybee Market is my main source for groceries, but it doesn't have a few things that my g/f wants, like Italian cuisine and some frozen items. Other than that, Honeybee is fantastic, clean, and reasonably priced. In fact, friends from the suburbs have said that they wish they had access to produce that is so fresh, and the guacamole, oh the guacamole! It is so very, very good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3