Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

As Oladub states and I agree with. The real issue here is trade and loss of manufacturing. It's terrible that people are going to lose the help they are receiving now. None of us are exempt from this or the effects of it. It will effect us all. The real questions we should be asking is why our present Government is still not addressing the trade imbalance we have with other countries. Why products that undermine our own domestically produced goods still flow in, untaxed and undeterred. Why incentives to move manufacturing offshore still exist. Why our current government is still exploring new "trade partners" in countries that would clearly put the American workers at an economic disadvantage. This is not exclusively a Republican or Democrat issue, both parties have steered us where we are.

The excuse is always: "Well we owe them money". Big deal. Are we going to be reduced to a third world civilization because we owe another country money. As long as we have nukes, we have a grace period. Our manufacturing and service sector jobs need to stay here. Period. We cannot rebuild our economy any other way.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; July-01-10 at 09:44 AM.

I may have commented before here on making unemployment compensation "means tested." A buddy of mine that is 63 collects 80 percent VA comp and Social Security. He has no dependents and owns a home and a car. I teased him about poor, and he went along with my teasing.

Take car of people that have kids and who are broke. Those with "means" like my buddy can get along in the leisure class.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    thanks for having the balls to give an actaul answer[[most folks around here feel the same way but hate saying that they really want a welfare state)

I wholeheartedly and unequivocally disagree with you though

my answer would be two years consecutively, then get off your ass and find a job any job.
    The level of debate and compassion is obvious here.

[quote=lincoln8740;159473][quote=Bearinabox;159462]The bottom line is this: Paying unemployment in the middle of a recession stimulates the economy. That's just what happens when you give money to people with an urgent and immediate need for basic necessities--they take the money and go spend it on basic necessities, because they don't have much of a choice unless they want to starve to death or have their lights turned off. We're not talking about lazy people who don't want to work or whatever, that's not even the issue here. The economy is in the shitter right now, and one proven strategy for improving it is to give unemployed people money. [quote]

yes!!! welfare checks will get us out of the recession!![/quote]
    And here, too.

[quote=lincoln8740;159473][quote=Bearinabox;159462]The bottom line is this: Paying unemployment in the middle of a recession stimulates the economy. That's just what happens when you give money to people with an urgent and immediate need for basic necessities--they take the money and go spend it on basic necessities, because they don't have much of a choice unless they want to starve to death or have their lights turned off. We're not talking about lazy people who don't want to work or whatever, that's not even the issue here. The economy is in the shitter right now, and one proven strategy for improving it is to give unemployed people money. [quote]

yes!!! welfare checks will get us out of the recession!![/quote]
    This is what we might call the right wing nut, Rush Bimbo, Faux News response.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    There are plenty of businesses in Detroit and Michigan who are hiring, they can't find qualified people who are willing to work, and/or can blend in with the company culture fast enough.
    I don't know what planet you're reporting from, but give us the coordinates, and as soon as the space shuttle begins taking reservations for us common, working class people, we might hop aboard for the commute.

It all boils down to the politicians. Go to wars! Pay trillions for wars, off the books! Enact trillions of dollars tax-cuts for rich! Bailout criminals on wall street! Refuse to indict executive branch criminal activity! Cover your friends asses! Refuse a few billions for ordinary working class citizens unemployment in the name of budgetary deficits! Refuse tax cut rollbacks for richest citizens! Take regular pay raises and benefits increases while enlarging campaign treasure chests! In any other occupations this would be called 'bribery' and/or 'extortion'.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I don't know what planet you're reporting from, but give us the coordinates, and as soon as the space shuttle begins taking reservations for us common, working class people, we might hop aboard for the commute.
    You wouldn't believe the characters who walk in for an interview, whether it be hiring for Northwest, or a baby sitter.

I can't and won't comment more than that.

The GOP doesnt have to votes to stop anything...there wasn't enough Democrat votes to extend benefits. Spending unemployment checks does nothing to help the economy..people are survivng on that money, not buying a new car, fridge, boat...

"If the Republicans prevent the economy from recovering, they can paint the Democrats as ineffectual and incompetent, and people will vote Republican by default." -bearinabox

huh? The Republicans are not preventing the economy from recovery..the Democrats are! The above qoute should read: If the Democrats prevent the economy from recovering, they can paint the Democrats as ineffectual and incompetent, and people will vote Republican by default.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Forced labor for no pay is enslavement.

How about we force you to do "community service" one day a week for no pay? Or we could make arrangements with your boss to only pay you for 4 days a week instead of 5. How would you like that?
    Then don't call it unemployment insurance. Call it government jobs. End unemployment and say 'the government is hiring" for these community jobs.

Bring back the WPA and the CCC.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    That is not a bad idea considering just how bad our infrastructure is across the country.

"The GOP doesnt have to votes to stop anything...there wasn't enough Democrat votes to extend benefits. Spending unemployment checks does nothing to help the economy..people are survivng on that money, not buying a new car, fridge, boat..."

You got that wrong. There were plenty of Democrats willing to extend benefits. But under the rules of the Senate, a minority of Senators can block the passage of legislation. That minority was every Republican plus one Democrat [[Ben Nelson of Nebraska). Even though these Senators represent less than 40% of the population, those rules allow them veto power over the rest of us.

I didn't realize that they were giving food away for free at the grocery stores these days. If that was the case, your idiotic comment that spending doesn't generate economic activity would actually make sense. You might also stop and think that the unemployment check also keeps a roof over someone's head, helps them pay for health insurance and health care, allows them to continue to look for work, etc. What do you think happens to people who have no source of income? Nothing good.

How does it help the economy grow when people are spending less at the supermarket with a reduced income? The benefits will eventually be extended once the dems get another vote. Without jobs nothing will improve, 14.00 an hr is the new "rich". Soon we will all be making 8.00 an hr and driving a new chinese car because thats all anyone will be able to afford comrade

"How does it help the economy grow when people are spending less at the supermarket with a reduced income?'

Something is better than nothing and that's what people who have no job and no unemployment will be spending when they run out of money. Those will be the people at the food bank because they've run out of alternatives. What's your solution? Push millions of people off unemployment and let them fend for themselves? Or do you believe that it's spending of unemployment benefits that's stopping an economic recovery?

I love how smug people are when they tell you to just dumb it down and take any job. Taking any job means your house will still be foreclosed because you still can't afford the mortgage - imagine what that will do to the local economy? Cars will be repo'd, you'll still need an EBT card because your check won't be enough to feed your family and pay simple living expenses. You will continue to slide downward and that affects us ALL. Unemployment is already struggling, "any" job means you will struggle even more. Take 2 or 3, they like to say, then who takes care of your family while you're gone 12-16 hours a day trying to make ends meet?

It's an incredibly ugly thing going on in the nation right now and it seems that only those going through it really understand. I for one didn't obtain three degrees including an MBA so I could work for minimum wage and not even be able to afford to repay student loans, much less keep a roof over my head. So I'm supposed to scale down my resume to match that of my teenager, so I can work for as much as she earns? What are the odds that this minimum wage job will eventually turn into a salary that I deserve? Ha, fat chance of that happening!

We need jobs, real jobs, not more minimum wage slots and not platitudes from people with no idea what its like out here. I was blessed to return to work after two years of unemployment - do people really think I got an MBA so I could sit at home and wait for a $362 weekly check? Yet, my new job is only a contract gig and it will end soon so I will be once again looking for work.

So I'm watching this all unfold with interest, and praying that something turns around soon. But I've gotten to the point where i don't even read the comments by people talking about all of the jobs out there just crying for people to come and take them!

"If they would rather die they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population." --Ebeneezer Scrooge

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    You wouldn't believe the characters who walk in for an interview, whether it be hiring for Northwest, or a baby sitter.

I can't and won't comment more than that.
    Yes, I would!
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; July-05-10 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    The GOP doesnt have to votes to stop anything...there wasn't enough Democrat votes to extend benefits. Spending unemployment checks does nothing to help the economy..people are survivng on that money, not buying a new car, fridge, boat...
    Groceries, rent, utilities, clothing, bus fares, etc, ARE THE ECONOMY! Survival, yes, the economy, yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Then don't call it unemployment insurance. Call it government jobs. End unemployment and say 'the government is hiring" for these community jobs.
    I'm game. I'd even ask for back pay.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Absolutely, unequivically, YES!

Along as Obama is in office I'm sure everything will be fine...we will be provided food , shelter, etc at no end....at least untill Novenber...

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    Along as Obama is in office I'm sure everything will be fine...we will be provided food , shelter, etc at no end....at least untill Novenber...
    And plenty of wars and bailouts for the rich, as well as free passes for corporations and CEO's.

"Along as Obama is in office I'm sure everything will be fine...we will be provided food , shelter, etc at no end....at least untill Novenber..."

The cynical side of me wants the Republicans to take the House and Senate in November. The only thing that Republicans know how to do is cut taxes for the wealthy and give handouts to corporate America. They don't give a care about the unemployed, the poor or anyone else in this country who can't reward them with a political payoff. After 2 years of that nonsense, voters will send the Republicans packing again. The downside is that it would be at the expense of millions of good Americans and I can't in good conscience support anything that would give Republicans the ability to screw things up to the degree that they did under GWB. It's been almost 2 years since he's left office and the county is still trying to undo all of the harm he did with the aid of his Republican cronies.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast