Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This thread and subject line is sounding like a combination of that old joke. "Lose ten pounds of ugly fat quick! Cut off your head."

Technologies can only help up to a certain point. To deploy, manage and tie into the dispatch system for a city as large as Detroit has to be great expense. Bullets travel up to 700 MPH, police cars in a city can average 50 with sirens if lucky. As other point out, it is nice information to have but if there is no response or tardy response it becomes like the weather, everybody talking about it nobody doing anything about it.

Would the same amount of money spent in, say, police / community relations bring better results?
    My thoughts exactly. The microphones will tell you that a crime might be taking place. Really? A crime is taking place in Detroit? Detroit Police Officers can already tell you where the crime is happening.

i wonder what a system like that costs.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I would have said Cadillac Square or Grand Circus Park, but I don't know if either still exist.
    The site of the last public hanging in Detroit is where the Skillman Branch of the Detroit Public Library is now located.

I see ShotSpotter should cost $1.4 million for Trenton, NJ. The area is 7.6 square miles.

http://www.shotspotter.com/news/arti...NewJersey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Jobs and Education go along way to reduce crime too.
    As a former Saginaw resident...trust me they've done all they've could. Rebuild schools, bring in state of the art technology, and well qualified teachers.

Good upbringing goes a long way to reduce crime. You failed to mention that, and no it shouldn't involve cities paying parents to raise their kids properly.

What may work in Saginaw and Flint may not necessarily work in Detroit. I can't speak for Flint, but Saginaw's problems are far more manageable with crime well concentrated in certain areas, and of course a smaller population.
    Last edited by wolverine; January-03-11 at 07:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2