Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    How much you want to bet all those people protesting throw things away in the trash?
    I'm sure they do. That is unavoidable but that isn't the point. The point is to reduce the waste stream and recycle. One thing you did not see in that march were throw-away beverage bottles. Instead the marchers carried reusable bottles. A vehicle with with water tanks provided refills.

There is a lot that can be done. Consider all the unnecessary packaging, much of which is for shelf space visibility. Software is a prime example of that, a big box with a small object that could even be downloaded. I saw a solution in Germany where people are charged for trash pickup based on the volume / weight of their trash. This causes people to demand that stores not stick them with the packaging which leads the stores to demand the same from manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I saw a solution in Germany where people are charged for trash pickup based on the volume / weight of their trash. This causes people to demand that stores not stick them with the packaging which leads the stores to demand the same from manufacturers.
    That's actually totally routine in Germany. I'm not sure if the history of that has to do with disincentivizing wasteful packaging, though, but that it would have that effect makes sense to me. Germany also is not known for approaching the question of separating recyclables out from the trash this way, but metered trash pickup can provide an incentive to do that as well [[Germany is known for requiring recycling).
    Last edited by fryar; June-27-10 at 05:40 AM.

DetroitDad Guest

Kudos to them for that!

Imagine if we cut down our soda and juice drink consumption. We would no longer be using those plastic bottles, or cans, or straws, and significantly increase our health while reducing the obesity rate, in which Detroit is among the worst. We'd also save money on straws, of which you are supposed to use if you drink sugary drinks.