Shortly before the fireworks, while DetroitYES was down for repairs, I noticed that lower Woodward Avenue has been heavily vandalized. Graffiti, removal of boards on vacant buildings, and broken windows were the main forms of destruction. Oddly, it appears that only vacant storefronts were targeted. The new street scape enhancements and new businesses did not appear to be touched.

The banner advertisement on the Broderick Tower has also torn down, and lays in shreds on top of the Madison/Angelina's Building.

Combined with the horrible state of the Broderick Tower and Como's Pizza Building, Michigan's mainstreet looks worse than it has in years. Thanks a lot vandals!

Attachment 6517
While hard to see in my photos from my low-tech camera phone, all storefronts on the first blocks South of Grand Circus Park have graffiti over their boards or windows, with the exception of Bleu and the new insurance company across the street.

Attachment 6518
This set of buildings on the Whitney block of Lower Woodward has graffiti on it's windows...

Attachment 6519
While some buildings have their windows entirely broken out. While it is hard to see from the pictures, some of these broken windows have been boarded up, while others have not. Shards of glass lay all over the sidewalk, and are dangerously protruding from some windows, like glass daggers in some horrific movie.

Attachment 6516
Meanwhile, the Broderick Tower has had several windows and boards smashed in or removed.

Attachment 6515
And the giant whale mural is once again visible as the ad banner lay in shreds on the roof of the adjacent building. You can see part of the banner still hanging on the top left corner of the above picture.