Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
I was living in Palmer Park when everything went to crap and the crime rate skyrocketed. People left Palmer Park and neighboring Detroit/Highland Park areas in droves. Over the years the gay clubs on Six Mile, Woodward, and Seven Mile came and went. The peak might have been when Backstage/Footlights, Tiffany's and Salute all created a fairly nice environment on Woodward. Following the Backstage fire that ended. There are no clubs any longer on Seven Mile, only La Dolce Vita is left on Woodward and only Menjos is left on Six Mile.

Too many people have awful memories of the anti-gay racism and horrible crime in the Woodward/Six Mile area to want to move back in to the city.

Maybe that will change with time but for now I think the gay population will remain decentralized throughout the metro area.
Perhaps. But I think the heterosexism/homophobia is something the generation that is coming of age has moved away from. We are the most tolerate generation in history. And there is a great interest among this generation in Detroit. Plus with increased concentration of just about everything in Midtown and other central city neighborhoods I don't see why we wouldn't see concentration of the LGBTQ community as well.

Ferndale still remains the center of the community, but it could change rather quickly. And there is no reason why there can't be multiple "centers" of activity, like in NYC.

Also, not all LGBTQ people want to live in a concentrated place, but I would assume most want to live in a safe place [[as in safe for queer people). Woodbridge is that type of place, and so is Corktown, Midtown, Downtown and Eastern Market, and that is where many are moving.