Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Does DPS pay for those charter students? Should be able to count them.
    As far as I know charters are completely funded by the state.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    As far as I know charters are completely funded by the state.
    Still should be able to sort them out.

Like I said, when you feel a number is squishy, try to come up with sanity checks [[auto registrations, library book checkouts, dog licenses, death certificates issued, etc.

Still should be able to sort them out.

Like I said, when you feel a number is squishy, try to come up with sanity checks [[auto registrations, library book checkouts, dog licenses, death certificates issued, etc.
    What makes you think that isn't already how they figure it out?

Default Dps pay

Does DPS pay for those charter students? Should be able to count them.

DPS winds up paying in the long run-once the charter schools cash the state checks. [[Somewhere near $7,500 per kid) Once the check clears they find a way to bounce under-performing or "problem" students back to DPS.

The state has tried to address this with a twice a year count days. [[75% of the funding based on the first count, early in the year, and 25% for a mid year second count)

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm really cracking up at some of you all's logic.

How can you judge how many people live in a city by the amount of empty houses? That method especially holds very little merit in a mortgage crisis, as those same people could have very easily been dispalced from their home and have now moved into already occupied apartments buildings or with relatives. Hell, honestly doing just that alone to calculate population count would make Detroit smaller than Nashville and maybe even Milwaukee. While Detroit has experienced a significant decline in the past 60 years, It's hard to believe we're the same size or smaller than those two cities.

The point is your conclusions have very little context. Yeah, I can play the "what if..." game too.
    "Households" refers to occupied households. The census does a lot of work to determine which structures are occupied and which are vacant.

BTW - Nashville-Davidson metro area pop. ACS 2008 estimate was less than 600,000. Milwaukee was 581,000. Still far below Detroit's.

bartock Guest

My not-so-scientific evidence, but perhaps more reliable, is my father-in-law, who has been a postman in Detroit for more than 30 years on the same route [[roughly 7 Mile/Mt. Elliot area). I'm told that in the last 2-3 years postpersons [[pc) all over Detroit are reporting steep declines in occupied houses. While people may be doubling up, as suggested, given the 2000 census figures HE says most of those he speaks with do not believe the population to much over 700,000. Of course, that assumes the 2000 #s were accurate.

detroitjim Guest

650k No way there is any more than that!

Default Estimate of city's population

Every year the Census Bureau estimates the July 1 population of all civil division in the United States. This is done on the basis of the population at the last census date plus births, minus deaths, plus an estimate of international migration plus or minus net internal migration. This migration is estimated, primarily but not exclusively, on the basis of dependents claimed on IRS returns. These population estimates are the figures that the Census Bureau defends as the best available information about the number of residents in a location.
    For the city of Detroit: Census 2000 951,000
    Population Estimates for each later year:
    2001 937,000
    2002 929,000
    2003 927,000
    2004 924,000
    2005 921,000
    2006 919,000
    2007 917,000
    2008 913,000
    2009 911,000
    The American Community Survey [[ACS) is a large annual Census Bureau survey conducted to determine the characteristics of the population, NOT the size of the population. For states and large counties, the results of the ACS are inflated so that they will match the population estimate developed independently for that county or state by the Census. However, ACS results are not inflated to match Census Bureau estimates of population of specific cities such as Detroit. Thus the ACS numbers suggest a population of 834,000 in Detroit in 2006; 808,000 in 2007 and 777,000 in 2008. The discrepancy between the population estimate for the city of Detroit and the ACS number is surprisingly large.
    If you look at the Census Bureau’s population estimates for Wayne County and compare them to the ACS figures for Wayne County, you will find they are the same: 1,985,000 for 2007 and 1,950,000 for 2008.
    On the basis of current demographic information, the best estimate of the city of Detroit is 911,000. However, I would bet that this year’s census counts fewer residents of the city.

DetroitDad Guest

Judging from Google Maps and the aerial views, either Detroiters are really doubled up in their homes or the census bureau has done some creative accounting. My own instincts would put it somewhere around 700,000.
    No, this is no joke. Plenty of them really are doubled or tripled up in their homes or apartments, that clearly were not intended for this. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the economy and kids moving back in with parents, or just the way it has been.

Detroit as a whole is also still somewhat urban, in that there are plenty of high rises, even outside the central city, and there a plenty of duplexes and sectioned up houses too.

Retroit Guest

Thank you renf for that explanation. Seems pretty irresponsible that the Census would provide such contradictory information. 913,000 versus 777,000 is 136,000, an error of 14.9 or 17.5%

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    My not-so-scientific evidence, but perhaps more reliable, is my father-in-law, who has been a postman in Detroit for more than 30 years on the same route [[roughly 7 Mile/Mt. Elliot area). I'm told that in the last 2-3 years postpersons [[pc) all over Detroit are reporting steep declines in occupied houses. While people may be doubling up, as suggested, given the 2000 census figures HE says most of those he speaks with do not believe the population to much over 700,000. Of course, that assumes the 2000 #s were accurate.
    Totally agreed. We were around 1 million 10 years ago when I moved back after undergrad. I don't think we've gained enough people to have a loss of only 80-90K. Even the DPS student population numbers don't bear out such a small loss, and that's taking into account all the charters and privates [[we lost several key Catholic schools between '00 and '09).

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Every year the Census Bureau estimates the July 1 population of all civil division in the United States. This is done on the basis of the population at the last census date plus births, minus deaths, plus an estimate of international migration plus or minus net internal migration. This migration is estimated, primarily but not exclusively, on the basis of dependents claimed on IRS returns. These population estimates are the figures that the Census Bureau defends as the best available information about the number of residents in a location.
    For the city of Detroit: Census 2000 951,000
    Population Estimates for each later year:
    2001 937,000
    2002 929,000
    2003 927,000
    2004 924,000
    2005 921,000
    2006 919,000
    2007 917,000
    2008 913,000
    2009 911,000
    The American Community Survey [[ACS) is a large annual Census Bureau survey conducted to determine the characteristics of the population, NOT the size of the population. For states and large counties, the results of the ACS are inflated so that they will match the population estimate developed independently for that county or state by the Census. However, ACS results are not inflated to match Census Bureau estimates of population of specific cities such as Detroit. Thus the ACS numbers suggest a population of 834,000 in Detroit in 2006; 808,000 in 2007 and 777,000 in 2008. The discrepancy between the population estimate for the city of Detroit and the ACS number is surprisingly large.
    If you look at the Census Bureau’s population estimates for Wayne County and compare them to the ACS figures for Wayne County, you will find they are the same: 1,985,000 for 2007 and 1,950,000 for 2008.
    On the basis of current demographic information, the best estimate of the city of Detroit is 911,000. However, I would bet that this year’s census counts fewer residents of the city.

If the U.S. Census and ACS counted the the amount of homelessness, then the estimate population of Detroit is 919,000. The number of PERMANENT residents of Detroit should be over 820,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I would not be surprised if the census found that more single whites & young professionals [[black and white) are moving into the city than in previous years...
    I would be. A few may be trickling in, but it's not a great movement. Just because we all might wish it to be so, doesn't make it so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2