Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Rebub or dem is she up do date on her taxes for her various existing projects?
    Last I heard she owed the IRS a large amount of money. [[Lots of Thousands) And I was again surprised that so many people OWE the IRS so much money. And that may not be what she owes on these [[18) properties, why does she owe so much and own this many lots?

Update... From DetNEWS.COM:

Reeves isn't Partner in "Martha Reeves Estates"

Darren A. Nichols / The Detroit News
    Detroit -- The developer of the "Martha Reeves Estates" insisted this morning he's not partnering with the Motown legend on a $1.3 million housing project.
    Rogers James Carter, a Highland Park businessman who appeared at a public hearing pushing for a tax break on the project, claims he just used her name because Reeves supported the project and helped him get through the city's bureaucracy. Carter said he didn't have "the political skills" to get the deal done on the development he's been working on since 2003.
    "I came to Martha Reeves' office and explained to her my problems, and she [[gave) her support," Carter said. "She was supporting me in getting that project done because I was having such difficulty with the planning and development department."
    The assertion was met with some skepticism.
    Reeves owns one vacant lot within the project's boundaries, at 13151 McDougall, and another 18 lots in the area. She has told The Detroit News she is trying to do something good for the neighborhood.

From The Detroit News

So now she has nothing to do with it? Except the name...
    Last edited by Detroit500; July-01-10 at 03:44 PM. Reason: removed advertisement

Reeves had her chance to do something good for the neighborhood when she was on the city council- and blew it.

Obvious the developer was trying to flatter old Martha to get her influence. She was too dumb to realize it. This guy wanted financing from the council for the whole thing, property and all it sounds like. The council figured it out.

Today's Freep had a version of this story which mentioned the fact the developer doesn't even own all the properties he wanted the tax break to develop.

4 years ago they might have gotten away with all this crap.

Half of her vacant lot is cut. It appears the neighbor to the south is doing a regular job of mowing the grass, and appears as though he gets the half closest to his house. It's about knee high on the uncut, northern half. The lots adjacent to the north are chest high.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2