Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think the weeknights stink for having this. It used to be on a wed night as I recall.
    Maybe this cuts down on the idiots as it forces some of the working types home early.
    I love the Detroit fireworks but all the hassle to get down there and traffic leaving for a 1/2 hour show. The Saint Clair Shores and Mt Clemens shows [[while not as grand) seem to last about 45 mins. I think they are well worth it though.
    Be happy they still have fireworks though! Just wait it wont be long till we can no longer afford them!

The fireworks have been on a monday at least the last 3 years. I go to cedar point every year on the monday around the 21st. And the last 3 years, we have seen the fireworks being blown off in the distance as we drove up I-75.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    The fireworks have been on a monday at least the last 3 years. I go to cedar point every year on the monday around the 21st. And the last 3 years, we have seen the fireworks being blown off in the distance as we drove up I-75.
    They were on Wednesday the 24th of June 2009. There were on the 23rd [[monday) in 2008. They were on Wednesday the 27th in 2007.

The fireworks display itself was great, but the music selection on WDIV this year was horrid.

Not one motown song for a motown fireworks display?

Didn't they used to be closer to the Fourth, a long time ago? Or are my childhood memories playing tricks on me?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Yeah, free entertainment and a chance to see your family, freinds and neighbors and the city teeming with happy party people SUCKS.
    Umm.... wouldn't it suck less if you got to see them all twice in 2 weeks?

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
    The suburban fireworks are OK, but if you are into fireworks, they are not in the same league or even close. The Freedom Festival fireworks, with three barges on the Detroit River, are world class and some of the biggest and most sophisticated anywhere.

BTW, if you want the fireworks but not the huge crowds, they have had basically the same show [[but with only 2 barges) during the Jazz Fest, where you can comfortably watch without a huge crowd from the foot of Hart Plaza with the huge fireworks going off literally over your head.

I agree. Detroit residents would hate Suburban fireworks [[most of the fireworks are white from what I've heard).

Much too early this year. Ya know, it's nice that we've finally acknowledged we've got a great riverfront, but I still prefer Freedom Festival to River Days any days. How cool it is to celebrate our friendship with Canada with goofy traditions like the tugboat races and the tug of war with Canada? It only makes sense to coincide as closely as possible with Canada Day and the Fourth of July. A quick search of google didn't come up with any tug of war this year, and the tug boat races were [[horrors!) even earlier than the fireworks. One of the reasons for Hart Plaza's existence was to create a better venue for all of our festivals -- ethnic and otherwise: Freedom, Polish, Mexican, African World, Italian, Jazz -- you name it. But now, we've co-opted the Freedom Festival brand for "River Days", and it doesn't seem anymore to have much to do with our great relationship with our neighbours [[sic intended) to the south. We used to celebrate our friendly border, now we require passports.
    Last edited by downtownguy; June-22-10 at 05:58 PM.

I guess when you're in a city with no money and no one helping out, we should be thankful for what we do have, which was a nice festival culminating in fireworks. I just wish it was a bit more 'with the season' as I think it would have drawn bigger crowds and therefore more revenue.

The Parade Company is now in charge of the fireworks. People that prefer the Wednesday before the 4th might want to put in their 2c with them. http://theparade.org/index2.php

The fireworks were too damn early. Everything is too damn early and getting more ridiculous every year. I have friends who put up their Xmas tree before Thanksgiving and take it down Dec 26th because they're "sick of it" by then. I'll sign off now and get busy putting up the Halloween decorations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2