Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    We just hope on your next visit to our city, you wont see or think of that. Just enjoy the pier, the parks and Michigan Ave.
    As long as I don't have to drive there, I will enjoy it

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    As long as I don't have to drive there, I will enjoy it
    You could just take the train or the bus. Once in Chicago you could use the extensive rapid transit system.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    It is funny to me that Detroiters are as insecure about Chicago as Chicagoans are about New York. Meanwhile, Chicagoans are as unaware of Detroit as New Yorkers are of Chicago!
    Best comment of the thread. Chicagoans just aren't thinking about us. We're comparing two different classes of cities, and I'm okay with that. Chicago is far too overwhelming for me, as is New York... really great fun to visit, but couldn't imagine living there. Midsize cities and metros are more my speed on an everyday basis.

Meanwhile I just saw on CNN that Dallas metro area is the fastest growing metro area in the US and now totals 6.5 million. Wow.

Testsua
    the reason people on here slam Chicago is because Chicago is a truly functioning city unlike Detroit's mish-mash of neighbourhoods barely surviving, interspersed with lawless no man's lands.
    I now await the attacks....

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Testsua
    the reason people on here slam Chicago is because Chicago is a truly functioning city unlike Detroit's mish-mash of neighbourhoods barely surviving, interspersed with lawless no man's lands.
    I now await the attacks....
    Haha. What? That's even weaker than "They hate us for our freedoms."

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Hate to ask the obvious question. Why are you here instead of there?

2 Wal-marts doesn't sound impressive. It sounds ghetto.
    Funny thing you mention that. I WILL be there by the fall.

That said, look at the bigger picutre. The fact that a city can actually support any type of retail above ram-shacked liquor stores & beauty supplies automatically makes it viable in my opinion.

Why else than the jealousy displayed here Detroitnerd? Most Detroiters would be happy the city was more like Chicago. It is just the fact they are jealous.

Why else than the jealousy displayed here Detroitnerd? Most Detroiters would be happy the city was more like Chicago. It is just the fact they are jealous.
    First of all, I don't think anybody in this thread has said they hated Chicago. I certainly haven't said I hated Chicago.

So, as a beginning requirement for this debate, you should show me exactly WHERE anybody has said they hated Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    You could just take the train or the bus. Once in Chicago you could use the extensive rapid transit system.
    i usually take the south shore in from MI city.

Tetsua had stated people on this forum love to bash Chicago. That is true; You can see it in many threads. Though, this one hasn't had that....yet.

I agree with that assessment. Forumers love to hate on Chicago and I believe it has everything to do with jealousy of that city.

As for fair shakes from the media. When Detroiters stop eating their young the media will move on. Until then Detroiters will continue to reap what they sow.

Tetsua had stated people on this forum love to bash Chicago. That is true; You can see it in many threads. Though, this one hasn't had that....yet.
    So, you're jumping in in the middle of a thread where nobody has said they hated Chicago and made this sweeping generalization:

Forumers love to hate on Chicago
    Based on your own generalization, you have, apropos of nothing, put forward this argument.

I believe it has everything to do with jealousy of that city.
    Um, don't you think that makes you come off as a loose cannon who isn't worth listening to?

I agree with that assessment. Forumers love to hate on Chicago and I believe it has everything to do with jealousy of that city.
    no, the anti-chicago comments [[including those from this native of chicagoland)usually come after some "chicago is so great its sewers don't stink" [[Believe me, they do) comment, usually made about crap like Millenium Park [[ok, it is growing on me, but not much) or that tumor they grew on Soldier Field.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Funny thing you mention that. I WILL be there by the fall.
    So, you're moving there. Big deal. Why comment about Chicago vs Detroit in general? It's an individual choice. No need to feel there is a requirement to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    So, you're moving there. Big deal. Why comment about Chicago vs Detroit in general? It's an individual choice. No need to feel there is a requirement to justify it.
    I have a right to voice my opinion on any subject I choose.

Chicago is a better city than Detroit, so get over it. That's not even an argument. Why do you think all of our college graduates are moving there? Instead of beating the same dead horse [[that is, finding areas where Chicago is worse than Detroit) and crying carpetbagger to Detroiters who simply want to start a new life in a functioning city, SE Michigan as a whole should try and take steps to keep people like me and those college graduates here if the region wants to remain relevent to society. We're simply sick of L. Brooks Patterson and his constituents' tired old "I'm taking my ball home" rants, City Council's backward arse decisions and the apathy people have here for the long term well-being of their community.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-22-10 at 02:09 PM.

Detroitnerd. Not at all. I'm not going to search this forum for all of the anti-Chicago rants that have come from other forumers. They are there to be seen by many. In fact I find it laughable that many forumers even compare the 2 cities. At one time you could but not any more.

By "jumping" [[I didn't know you had exclusive rights to this thread) into this I was backing up Tetsua's statement. It is there I believe that the reason why someone would run down Chicago while attempting to defend Detroit is because of jealousy. Why else?

As to what people think? I could really care less. I live my life for me and no one else. I can't control what people think or do.

Chicago has oodles of gangs, crackheads and political criminals they call Alderman. Their problem is on them not on Detroit.

Oh, I think there are reasons to live in Detroit instead of Chicago. Then again, you're talking to somebody who lives in Detroit and wouldn't want to live in Chicago. Do I hate Chicago? Am I jealous of Chicago? I'm confused, Goat. Please help me out here.

I'm not saying that YOU do hate Chicago or are jealous but many people here are. It is the only conclusion as to why they get their arms up over that city.

Everyone has their reasons as to where they live [[or want to live but can't). But I find it rather weird that many forumers and for that matter Detroiters I know are so quick to compare Detroit to Chicago and then dump on the problems Chicago has.

Again, people should focus on their own city [[as you seem to be doing) and fix those problems before getting their knickers in a bunch over another city.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Chicago has oodles of gangs, crackheads and political criminals...
    So does Detroit.

I'm not saying that YOU do hate Chicago or are jealous but many people here are. It is the only conclusion as to why they get their arms up over that city.
    Well, Chicago grows at Detroit's expense, so I could see how that would be a sore spot for some people. But I think it's our collective fault. Chicagolanders provide an actual city and run it like a working city. So many Metro Detroiters don't seem to see the point in having a functioning city. They'd rather keep it as a repository for all the urban ills they don't want to have to pay taxes to mitigate.

Everyone has their reasons as to where they live [[or want to live but can't). But I find it rather weird that many forumers and for that matter Detroiters I know are so quick to compare Detroit to Chicago and then dump on the problems Chicago has.
    Well, when you have a millions-and-one problems, I guess it's a tiny comfort to know that even "successful" cities have their ills.

Again, people should focus on their own city [[as you seem to be doing) and fix those problems before getting their knickers in a bunch over another city.
    It sounds like it's more complicated than that. I think, for instance, there's some legitimacy to the point that Chicago can rest on its reputation when it has a spate of crimes, whereas we in Detroit have no such luxury.

Chicago is a better city than Detroit, so get over it. That's not even an argument. Why do you think all of our college graduates are moving there? Instead of beating the same dead horse [[that is, finding areas where Chicago is worse than Detroit) and crying carpetbagger to Detroiters who simply want to start a new life in a functioning city, SE Michigan as a whole should try and take steps to keep people like me and those college graduates here if the region wants to remain relevent to society.
    Exactly right. There are some positive trends, positive developments. Midtown could actually become walkable away from WSU/DIA in sometime soon, there are viable neighborhoods. A good midtown-downtown corridor would be great. Detroit proper has great restaurants and lots of entertainment options, granted not as many as a city 3 times its size. [[and Pizza Papalis even makes an excelent Chi-style za) [[and yes, chicagoans do have an inferiority complex to NYC).

We're simply sick of L. Brooks Patterson and his constituents' tired old "I'm taking my ball home" rants, City Council's backward arse decisions and the apathy people have here for the long term well-being of their community.
    yes, in Chicago, you never hear crap like that from the suburbs. The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is something we need to copy

As far as what is a suburb? Kenosha is part of the MSA. Joliet is too, as is Valparaiso, IN. By that standard, Flint, Ann Arbor and Toledo should all be considered metropolitan detroit - not to mention Essex County

Michigan Guest

I just need to point something out folks. Deconstructing someone else's post works best when your own post is witty or funny. When the responding poster appears overly serious or, shall I say it, just as stupid as the original poster, then the desired effect is lessened.

Carry on please.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    no, the anti-chicago comments [[including those from this native of chicagoland)usually come after some "chicago is so great its sewers don't stink" [[Believe me, they do) comment, usually made about crap like Millenium Park [[ok, it is growing on me, but not much) or that tumor they grew on Soldier Field.
    Oh come on...

I think some Detroiters might suffer from a little "skyscraper envy"

[[Above) The planned super tall Chicago Spire Skyscraper

I think some forget; "it's not about the size of your buildings and urban spaces...
    Attachment 6493
    [[Above) The dormant Chicago Spire site ends up as a hole in the ground since late 2008.

...it's what you do with them!"

Attachment 6494

Attachment 6495
    [[Three Photos Above) Campus Martius Park and the new buildings that surround her.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; June-22-10 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Captions Added

I have a right to voice my opinion on any subject I choose.

Chicago is a better city than Detroit, so get over it. That's not even an argument. Why do you think all of our college graduates are moving there? Instead of beating the same dead horse [[that is, finding areas where Chicago is worse than Detroit) and crying carpetbagger to Detroiters who simply want to start a new life in a functioning city, SE Michigan as a whole should try and take steps to keep people like me and those college graduates here if the region wants to remain relevent to society. We're simply sick of L. Brooks Patterson and his constituents' tired old "I'm taking my ball home" rants, City Council's backward arse decisions and the apathy people have here for the long term well-being of their community.
    Get over what? I don't care about Chicago one way or another. And I am not comparing Chicago to Detroit. You are. Why? Feelings of insecurity? Feelings of needing to justify your move? Guilty about using Detroit as a stepping stone and then abandoning it? I kinda doubt the guilt part, as you've stated in another thread that "Money" makes you happy and "I like to have my own and do for myself." Who knows why you feel the need to compare, but it would be interesting to find out, I guess. The generalizations are kinda lazy, and you aren't being that interesting, but it would be a slight blip on a psychology discussion.

Now, if you want to know more about Chicago and Wal-mart that you brought up as a positive [[and see if you can read it on its own merit without comparing Chicago to Detroit)....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_621361.html
    Last edited by East Detroit; June-22-10 at 09:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast