Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    THAT particular plant is largely owned by Ford.
    And, I'm pretty sure all the workers are UAW members.

So many opinions, so few facts.

33% is not "controlling interest." Nor is it "controlling interest" at 10%.

Economics are about more than just which union or non-union worker assembled the vehicle. There is also the matter of engineers, suppliers, IT, and profits. We still have a little of each of these in Michigan.

Do Japanese suppliers to Mazda and other Japanese brands routinely overcharge for parts to the OEM in America to export even more money [[other than profits)? Maybe look into that if anyone is interested in facts.

Searay I'll say it here. You are stupid.
    I guess you haven't figured out that the old Big 3 also outsourced 60% of what used to be done in N. America to other countries. The Japanese have invested and brought more jobs to N. America in the last decade than the old Big 3....but I guess you don't want to hear about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Back to the TOPIC...

My sister was laid off from Doner going on a year ago. Trouble seems to have been brewing for quite a while. They have lost a a good number of big accounts in recent times so I wonder what the issue is. Is it a lack of leadership? Is there a stigma attached to SE Michigan ad agencies?
    Just ask Andy Dillon!

Any clues as to who DID get the account? Did it stay in town perhaps and maybe the poor soon-to-be-laid-off agency folks can jump ship to that agency and preserve a few jobs here locally.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I guess you haven't figured out that the old Big 3 also outsourced 60% of what used to be done in N. America to other countries. The Japanese have invested and brought more jobs to N. America in the last decade than the old Big 3....but I guess you don't want to hear about that.
    Since your into Name calling....and your name seems to fit you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should have added Old to the front of your name.....Yes they did and I Do NOT condon that either. And those jobs that they created were at the loss of Detroit jobs......maybe you don't understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Since your into Name calling....and your name seems to fit you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should have added Old to the front of your name.....Yes they did and I Do NOT condon that either. And those jobs that they created were at the loss of Detroit jobs......maybe you don't understand that.
    Well if you don't condone the purchase of an American built Toyota... and you don't condone the actions of Ford, Gm, and [[what;s left of) Chrysler in their push to move as many jobs to low cost countries that they can... what car is a "Sea Ray' approved purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well if you don't condone the purchase of an American built Toyota... and you don't condone the actions of Ford, Gm, and [[what;s left of) Chrysler in their push to move as many jobs to low cost countries that they can... what car is a "Sea Ray' approved purchase?
    While I don't condon what GM & Ford have done to move some work outside the US, I still believe in supporting those brands as hundreds of thousands retirees depend on the sales for thier pensions. We don't need even more devistation in our economy especially for those who can least afford to loose more. They [[retirees) have lost dental, eye glass, perscription coverage and pay more monthly than ever before. The Japanese do not have that problem, which is why they have an advantage in pricing.

The Japanese possibly make more profit without pension [pay out obligations.
    But look again- the Japanese cars sell for as much or more than the US brands.
    It has been a long long time since a car was sold cheap just because it was 'made in Japan' or sold by a Japanese company.
    That game is for the Korean cars right now.
    And pension obligations- look to who is managing the pension funds for the answers. In a well managed pension fund, one should expect pensions to be paid from the fund's investment earnings, not from present and future deductions. Ponzi pension funds?

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    But look again- the Japanese cars sell for as much or more than the US brands.
    It has been a long long time since a car was sold cheap just because it was 'made in Japan' or sold by a Japanese company.
    That game is for the Korean cars right now.
    And pension obligations- look to who is managing the pension funds for the answers. In a well managed pension fund, one should expect pensions to be paid from the fund's investment earnings, not from present and future deductions. Ponzi pension funds?
    Not entirely true.....In each year 2013 and again in 2014 GM is obligated to put 8 Billion into the retirement fund. Fedelity it managing the pension funds and there is no hanky panky.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    And, I'm pretty sure all the workers are UAW members.
    yes, at FlatRock ,they are...there is a sticker on my 2011 Mustang stating so. The V8 engine came from Essex, I think.
    That's Canada. I believe the block itself came from Germany,
    might be wrong. All OK, these guys buy our 'stuff', generally.
    2010 saw 900 let go at flatrock...not good.
    I think the Mazda "cx9" gets built there also ?

I drive a Mazda 3, and its been pretty good to me these past 3 years, If I were to buy an american car it might be Ford and something that consumes less and has more space. 3 years ago I had big doubts about american quality but I think that there is a turnaround. I wouldnt touch a Volkswagen with a twenty foot pole. They may have the snazziest clean tech motors etc, but they are not that great at dependability overall and their service sucks. There are a lot of myths about foreign vs domestic quality to debunk. I just learned a coupla weeks ago that anyone can open a car door on my Mazda with a proper punch or kick on the door handle. Makes you think! Besides that, cars are so much more complex nowadays and the time to design and tweak them into proper shape is fairly limited. The more stuff goes into them, the more eff-ups are bound to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    Or they have pension obligations and just ignore them because they occur in a country not their own.

http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbcs...305179997/1424

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Any clues as to who DID get the account? Did it stay in town perhaps and maybe the poor soon-to-be-laid-off agency folks can jump ship to that agency and preserve a few jobs here locally.
    The account is going to to-be-determined agencies from Britain's WPP Group.

The five WPP agencies that service Ford's marketing [[Team Detroit) is in Dearborn. No idea if would be handled by TD, or elsewhere.

WPP is one of the four massive advertising holding companies, owner of many, many agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Silly things like 'zoom, zoom, zoom' perhaps? Nonsense ads are why I don't watch commercials or buy from merchants who run those types of ads. I hit the 'Mute' button as fast as I can when an ad interferes with a program I'm watching, but occasionally one slips through and assaults my ears.
    Mazda has said it intends to keep using "Zoom Zoom" even though Doner is gone. So it wasn't the campaign, I suppose. And Mazda did see sales growth under that campaign.

The auto ad world is based very much on relationships and personal preferences of executives -- witness GM switching the Chevy account twice in a couple months and Cadillac after just 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    The auto ad world is based very much on relationships and personal preferences of executives --
    That applies to ad execs and post houses [[creative editorial/artists) as well.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Hey Goat read this article on American cars. Probably not the kind of article Searay or Bymercin want's to see. Guess I will have to fly to Japan to spend my American dollars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2