Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
Detroitnerd. Having been here a long time I get irritated by the wash-over Detroiters paint there city.
Once again, yes there are functioning sections of the city but for the most part Detroit's crime is almost 3rd world [[I have even posted facts in the past) and itis what people are moving away from...in droves.

It isn't whites moving from blacks anymore, it is people moving from crime, a dysfunctional school system, apathetic citizens and "leaders" who are absolutely clueless [[though this is changing slightly).

If we add in sprawl legislation that allows continous growth without continous population growth, hemmed in decaying inner suburbs then this is a recipe of how not to function at either the city or state level.

So instead of washing over the problems Detroit has how about coming together as citizens, as a city and move towards what it is you want from a city. Thenumber one thinig people want is safety first. Address that and Detroit is on it's way to becoming a decent city again.
I am not whitewashing anything. People are leaving the city. People are leaving the suburbs. People are leaving the region. And the main factor driving that, in my opinion, is that the city, suburbs and surrounding farmland do not work together on any shared vision, and provide only one kind of environment while letting anything older than 50 years fall apart.