Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Selling your car and using a bicycle and mass transit would do more good though.
    Hey I did it!

I think this is not the solution. Don't you think the other oil companies take the same shortcuts when it comes to drilling oil? Did you stop tanking at Exxon/ESSO after the Exxon Valdez drama? As said, most of the stations are owned franchise owners who are also trying to make a living.

Here are some essential videos to see and then you know the oil companies are all a bunch of crooks.

Sheldon Whitehouse: Clean Out Corporations From Government
    See what happens when big interest has a stake in politics. This is very sobering.

Jon Stewart teaches a history lesson on oil dependence
    President Obama called for "America to seize its own destiny" and stop depending on foreign oil in his Oval Office speech Tuesday. But Obama is just the latest in a long line of presidents who have tried to get the U.S. off of oil and failed.

Where do you folks think your gasoline originates. The vast majority comes right out of the Marathon refinery downriver. That gas is sold to most gas stations, regardless of brand.

Marathonn's refinery refines crude from several sources including Canada, onshore U.S. and the Gulf. Because BP produces about a third of the crude from the Gulf, it's possible that Marathon refines some BP crude, but the gasoline produced from it goes to stations regardless of brand.

It's true that some refined products [[gasoline etc) are pipelined in from the Clark refinery in N. IL [[Blue Island as I recall) and along the way additional product is sent through the same pipeline from the BP [[formerly, Amoco) and Exxon-Mobil refineries in Whiting, IN. That gas is distributed to whatever stations of all brands who elect to purchase from that source.

Boycotting BP is a laughable exercise based on ignorance of how the world works. We're all guilty of ignorance of something or other, so it's not the end of the world.

The real reason for not boycotting BP has been stated here several times; it doesn't hurt BP, it hurts innocent business people and their employees.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Detroitej72: Do you honestly believe that even one drop of crude oil produced in the U.S. is sold to other countries? Ridiculous. You do realize, don't you, that it costs money to ship oil somewhere else. While we're importing 60+% of our oil, why would anyone sell it somewhere else? Oil is fungible. Aside from differences in A.P.I. specific gravity, which affects price, oil is pretty much the same wherever produced. Hasn't this been covered elsewhere on the forum several times?
    Actually the US does export oil, about 1.5 million bbls a day if I recall correctly. Much of it goes to Japan, Korea, Singapore and Mexico. We also do a lot of oil swapping with Canada, although we're a net importer of Canadian oil.

Half or so of these exports are in the form of diesel fuel. Many countries do not have sufficient diesel refining capability and we have excess, so we import oil, refine it into diesel and export it.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Half or so of these exports are in the form of diesel fuel. Many countries do not have sufficient diesel refining capability and we have excess, so we import oil, refine it into diesel and export it.
    Diesel is not crude

but we DO export crude, about 45,000 barrels/day, according to the EIA
    Last edited by rb336; June-21-10 at 02:18 PM.

Papasito Quote: " If you sit at a port and watch them pump out the oil/gasoline, trucks pull up from Hess/BP/Mobil/Exxon, ect ect ect and hook up to the same hose from the same tanker and fill all thier trucks up."

You are absolutely correct in your observation. I was at a local Mobil station and asked how I could be sure I was getting "real" Mobil gas. The owner said that when the tanker fills up at the terminal - could be Marathon, Shell, or like in Spring Lake here on the west side of Michigan - Buckeye/Mobil - all the gasoline is just gasoline. What makes gasoline Mobil, Shell, Marathon, or Citgo is the proprietary additive package [[anti-knock compounds, detergents, etc.) added to the tanker as it is being filled.

The gasoline you burn in your car or truck may have been refined from Venezueala, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Alaska, or who knows where crude oil.

So, depending on where the crude came from, you could be assisting in the support of nations that protect terrorists or have communist influenced dictators.

I stand corrected. The U.S. does export oil, almost 25,000 barrels per month, all to Canada.

Exporting crude was outlawed until Clinton reversed the ban late in his administration. It was apparently done for hardship purposes.

I called the pipeline rep that purchases my oil and she called someone at the refinery in OK to which my crude is sent. I was told that the very small amount of oil [[25,000 barrels per month) is produced in Montana far from a pipeline or other facility to which it could be shipped economically by truck. However, it can be trucked to a small refinery in Canada, and that's where it goes. Otherwise it would be a stranded resource benefitting no one.

No Alaskan oil or any other U.S. produced crude is sent anywhere else. If anyone has a credible source to the contrary I'd like to know about it.

Today I spent $50.00 at a BP gas station!

I stand corrected. The U.S. does export oil, almost 25,000 barrels per month, all to Canada.

Exporting crude was outlawed until Clinton reversed the ban late in his administration. It was apparently done for hardship purposes.

I called the pipeline rep that purchases my oil and she called someone at the refinery in OK to which my crude is sent. I was told that the very small amount of oil [[25,000 barrels per month) is produced in Montana far from a pipeline or other facility to which it could be shipped economically by truck. However, it can be trucked to a small refinery in Canada, and that's where it goes. Otherwise it would be a stranded resource benefitting no one.

No Alaskan oil or any other U.S. produced crude is sent anywhere else. If anyone has a credible source to the contrary I'd like to know about it.
    The U.S. recieves 25 percent of the oil from Venezuela.

"Today I spent $50.00 at a BP gas station!"

Today you have supported a corporation that just polluted the intire Gulf of Mexico with millions of barrels of rude crude oil that destroys wildlife, sea life and ruin 1/3rd of the U.S. fishing industry. In the meantime CEO Tony Heywood is taking his family on a yacht cruise and you have just pay his bills.

Danny quote: "Today you have supported a corporation that just polluted the intire Gulf of Mexico with millions of barrels of rude crude oil that destroys wildlife, sea life and ruin 1/3rd of the U.S. fishing industry.

No, Danny. Today ejames01 supported a local business owner who has several employees who peovide support for their families. BP received little or nothing from the station owner except a portion of his franchise fee. The gasoline in the station's tanks was, most likely, refined from oil that came from some other source than BP.

Just think BP wants to drill in ALaska......maybe they can get Sarah to be their spokesperson oh..thats right she is now against drilling or is that shrilling

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    Just think BP wants to drill in ALaska......maybe they can get Sarah to be their spokesperson oh..thats right she is now against drilling or is that shrilling
    It has been proven, time and again, that Sarah is a pathological lier and can't be trusted on anything other than how to use Twitter to gain tea bagger's support.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    No, Danny. Today ejames01 supported a local business owner who has several employees who peovide support for their families. BP received little or nothing from the station owner except a portion of his franchise fee. The gasoline in the station's tanks was, most likely, refined from oil that came from some other source than BP.
    Even if your went to covenient store with a BP sign it just to buy junk food. You're still suporting a global polluter and rich pigs OINK,OINK!.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Even if your went to covenient store with a BP sign it just to buy junk food. You're still suporting a global polluter ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Today you have supported a corporation ...
    No, they supported a local business and the local economy and did NOT fall prey to silly rhetoric.

I stand corrected. The U.S. does export oil, almost 25,000 barrels per month, all to Canada..
    yup, that is what EIA says, too. we do, evidently, ship 22,000 barrels of refined petroleum products a month to china
    [[since there is no seperate list for Taiwan, my bet is that virtually all of it goes there)

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No, they supported a local business and the local economy and did NOT fall prey to silly rhetoric.
    Who is 'they'? Are you writing about the link between convenient store and the BP? Even though they support each other, they tied in the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Anyone who supports BP to buy their gas or going to convenient store that supports BP is supporting Tony Heywood bills so he could live his glamous lifestyle and oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Which is more ethical? Feeding the pigs who pollute our world's oceans or feeding the poor Southern American fishermen and their families who lost their jobs.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Because faith in God and families come first before your own indivuality.

In Memoriam: Neda Agha Soltan

Danny asks, "Who is 'they'?

"They" are customers who go into a BP station to buy fuel, donuts, coffee, or whatever.

"They" are customers who buy gasoline which was refined from crude oil which might not have been produced by BP.

"They" are customers who might cross the street to the Mobil station and purchase gasoline which might have been produced by BP.

There's no real link between the pumper of crude oil and the gas station where the finished product ends up. Oil pumped by BP does not necessarily end up in a BP station. It might end up at the Mobil, Shell, Citgo, or a no-name convenience store.

This is pretty much a difficult concept for you to grasp, isn't it, Danny.
    Last edited by turkeycall; June-25-10 at 11:54 AM.

Another reason to boycott might be to devalue/punish the BP brand [[which really gets the attention of corporatists) but I'd rather see that effort go into constructive projects like cleaning this up and preventing future catastrophes. "BP" is going away in the same sense that "Firestone" became "Bridgestone."

The frustration is understandable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2