Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cass Tech circa 1965-1985 with its racial diversity is startling to observe today given that the vast majority of students in our state attend schools that are 90% enrolled with one racial group or another. A unique generation in the history of that venerable institution. It wasn't pure harmony all the time, but it was progress and it's too bad it ended with the departure from DPS of almost all its white families.

It would be interesting to hear Mr. Heron's musings on the '71 yearbook after 40 years. He's still around of course. Currently the editor of the Metro Times. He's certainly been made aware of this thread.
    Last edited by swingline; May-09-12 at 09:13 AM.

A couple of months ago I went to Cass to look through the '71 yearbook for pictures of coach Dick Cole and the football and track teams, as Dick Cole passed away last fall. Used some of the pictures in the '71 yearbook for his obituary. It was the beginning of a golden era in sports for Cass, which was not known for sports in the past. I too wondered about the orange and black colors and now I know.

I am "Friends" with Kim on Facebook. I'll ask him.

I graduated CT in 1978, and we also had an Orange and Black yearbook. Why? Who knows.

My brother William Davis attended Cass Tech 1970-1972. I find a Afro-American student named William Davis in the 1972 yearbook, but I am looking for a caucasian William Davis who probably would have been in the the Mechanical /Automotive trades. I appreciate any help from you or any others who may have known him.

Thanks for posting the yearbook, that was interesting to go through and read.

Alex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2