Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I cut my teeth at retail in Fairlane, at Anton's Menswear from 1980-81. We wore suits all the time, and I was NEVER carded at either the Jonathon B. Pub or the Toll Gate...and I was 16 and 17 those years!

Got to know someone in every restaurant in the joint, so I really don't remember EVER paying for my food...or the movies and skating rink.

We knew every inch of that place, including all the service hallways...which were occasional shortcuts to the parking lot, depending on where in the maze you were.

Anton's was a draw, because Gabe had one of his prized autos in every store, ours was a yellow Model A Ford in pristine condition. For a while, he also had a custom shirt store called Gibran's, that did pretty well.

My best memory of the joint was selling a very young and energetic Alexander Zonjic an entire wardrobe worth over $2,500 in one sale...we walked through the whole store, and didn't miss a thing! My month's quota was only $2,000, and if the commissioned suit salespeople ever sold $500 at one time they made the company newsletter!

A few days later, I took him up on his offer to see him at the Antonelli's Radio City Tavern in downtown Windsor...but the bouncer noticed our fake id's [[a friend had shown us how to use the 0 from the phone book over our 2s and 3s of our birth years!) and was about to kick us out...when Alex STOPPED PLAYING, spoke to him and got us in...and we sat with his now ex-wife, and SHE bought us drinks all night. Made me a jazz fan in one evening!

But back to the mall...it was a great place to hang out, even before working there...and I was a Silverman's guy more than Chess King. Silverman's had a few very outgoing gals who knew how to push a young man's buy buttons...while making every one of us feel it was more than that!

And you know you've been going to Fairlane a long time, if you remember the Friendly's Ice Cream just inside that mall door next to JC Penney's...across from the Toll Gate lounge. They made the most amazing malts...

Cheers, thanks for putting up with me wandering down memory lane again!

[[does anyone know that Taubman enforces a strict rule on profitability per square foot in all his leases? He looks at ALL the books of each store, and if they don't produce enough they are gone. In one mall, they closed down the Verizon store, from what I heard, if you can believe that. Closed on a damn corporation with an anchor that would draw customers for other stores, which was probably a pretty good neighbor)

Gannon
    You jarred some memories loose. I remember the clothes store with the old cars in it. Friendly's was a treat when Grandma was with us at the mall.I knew that place like the back of my hand back then around 79 through 85. Hermans World of Sports and Schniders were my favorites.

That mall actually has quite a few empty stores now. I know Godiva left recently. They are putting a bcbgmaxazira outlet out there now, I wonder if they will try to re-brand the mall as an outlet?

DetroitDad Guest

When was the last time there was three feet of snow on the ground before Christmas in Southeast Michigan. And.... why would you think that is a great time to jump in your auto and battle snow plows and black ice so you can get to Fairlane Town Center?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    There is when you need to do some Christmas shopping, and there's three feet of snow on the ground.

Or you just want to go for a walk... and there's three feet of snow on the ground.

Otherwise the only time I set foot in a mall is to eat at a restaurant that happens to be in one, or going to Sears to pick up some tools.

Fairlane is completely ghetto!!! I took my 4yr old daughter there last weekend for the first time; it was also the first time I had been there in close to 10 yrs...AND I WILL NEVER EXPOSE HER TO THAT TYPE OF ENVIRONMENT AGAIN!! Young people were hollering and "rapping" aloud like they were the only people around. Blatently using foul language infront of my child as well as others. Who cares what kind of shops the mall has if you have to dodge horrible examples of humanity along the way.

..too bad there's no Dave & Busters [[or equivalent) out there.. they also need a Marshall's...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..too bad there's no Dave & Busters [[or equivalent) out there.. they also need a Marshall's...
    The area has a Marshall's in Westborn, a Burlington in Fairlane Meadows and a TJ Maxx in Fairlane Green.

I'd agree that you could probably use the Lord and Taylor for a Dave and Buster's. The area still gets a sizable tourist draw and the days of lots of big department stores has past and it ain't coming back.

I shop at Fairlane frequently. Being that I live in Warrendale it a but a mile from my home. To characterize it as total ghetto is a bit harsh. You can go to malls all over metro Detroit and see the same behaviours only being perpetrated by white teens. So have your daughter learn the behavious from a white kid, she will still learn it. Its your job as a mother to teach her right from wrong.

That Godiva store was there since the 80s at least. I thought it was owned by one of Mayor Young's concubines, or something like that. Someone connected.

Proslack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Champloo123 View Post
    I was in town a few weeks ago to visit my parents and happened to stop at Fairlane Town Center. I was pleasantly surprised that the mall actually was nice during a Saturday! I remember back in late 90's/early 00's the mall was going down hill with increased crime and with many stores leaving. The mall really rebounded with Bravo, Pf Changs, Coach, Solstice, a huge H&M, Godiva, and a pretty decent Macy's.
    If only the same renaissance can come to Northland mall. The only thing worth seeing there in the Macy's. Many people will be surprised that the Northland Mall carries many many more items that the Fairlane location does not or have discontinued carrying.

Proslack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I know of not a single person that shops at Marshalls [[horrid store) or Dave and Busters. This is the very first time I've heard of this request from anyone in this area. Maybe they want stores people are gonna shop at. Most stores @ fairlane are higher to mid end stores. That includes H&M, there's an H&M on the Mag mile in Chicago, no Marshalls or D&B.

Gannon, I probably bought clothing from you way back when. I've been in Fairlane quite a bit recently. When the weather is inclement and I can't walk outdoors, get to Ferry Field [[UoM) or a rec center, I walk at Fairlane on my way to Hamtown. I'm impressed at how well kept the mall is. And, contrary to others opinions here, how well behaved the kids are. They're just a latter day version of us when we were kids; goofy, hyperactive and horny [[and different races). We were different than our parents and grandparents. Since the holidays many stores have closed including Godiva, which had been there for an awful long time. The whole middle level between where the Johnathon B Pub and McDonalds used to be is vacant and windows decorated to appear occupied. I've never been much of a mall person, but I worked at Eddie Bauer during the mid 90's and learned to appreciate Fairlane, despite our [[Eddie Bauer's) and the mall's problems with gangs of kids and constant rumours of it's demise. Lot's of people walk and hang out, and as Gannon said, you get to know your neighbors, businesses and their employees.

I myself was thinking of going to Fairlane this weekend to pay my Sears bill. Instead I payed it at Westland.I usually only shop at Sears when I go anyway, But will venture out into the mall when I go.Time to pay a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Proslack View Post
    I know of not a single person that shops at Marshalls [[horrid store) or Dave and Busters. This is the very first time I've heard of this request from anyone in this area. Maybe they want stores people are gonna shop at. Most stores @ fairlane are higher to mid end stores. That includes H&M, there's an H&M on the Mag mile in Chicago, no Marshalls or D&B.
    Marshall's has a store at 600 N Michigan.
    http://www1.marshallsonline.com/tjx/search_results.aspx

The only Dave and Buster's I have ever been to was a few blocks from here at 1030 Clark. http://www.daveandbusters.com/Locati...=Chicago,%20IL

MACY'S=TARGET without the sense of style.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    MACY'S=TARGET without the sense of style.
    In other words, MACY*S = KOHL'S.

Quote Originally Posted by Proslack View Post
    That includes H&M, there's an H&M on the Mag mile in Chicago, no Marshalls or D&B.
    There's a Filene's Basement a block over from the water tower, which is kind of a cross between Marshall's and Syms.

Here's a website that shows a couple of pictures of the monorail. It's nice to see it and remember what it was like when it opened.

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/2...wn-center.html

I always like to compare the differences between 12 Oaks and Fairlane as when they were built, they were essentially twins of each other. The anchor stores were even in the same spot. Over the years, they both took on lives of their own [[much like real human twins would). One became the more urban, diverse, disobedient mall while the other became the more suburban, higher end, lily-white mall. Flash forward 34 years later after additions/losses of theatres, ice rinks, a monorail, food courts, etc. and the two malls don't resemble each other like they once did. 12 Oaks is now up to 5 anchors, while Fairlane is down to 3. 12 Oaks interior has a new, 2000s feeling while Fairlane still contains a lot of it's 1970's interior. Hudsons/Macy's, Sears, JC Penney and [[closed at Fairlane but still standing) Lord and Taylor are in the exact same spots at the two malls but the once close to identical twins are worlds apart in personality.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlivingstonseagull View Post
    In other words, MACY*S = KOHL'S.
    Only at Kohl's can you buy a pack of 3 Fruit of the Loom crew neck T-shirts for $15 and get a receipt that tells you it was originally priced at $60. I've never been to a place that tries so hard to convince you the cheap crap you bought was worth 4 times what you paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Only at Kohl's can you buy a pack of 3 Fruit of the Loom crew neck T-shirts for $15 and get a receipt that tells you it was originally priced at $60. I've never been to a place that tries so hard to convince you the cheap crap you bought was worth 4 times what you paid for it.
    I would love to see a scanned copy of this alleged receipt.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I would love to see a scanned copy of this alleged receipt.
    It's obviously an exaggeration of a point.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    I always like to compare the differences between 12 Oaks and Fairlane as when they were built, they were essentially twins of each other. The anchor stores were even in the same spot. Over the years, they both took on lives of their own [[much like real human twins would). One became the more urban, diverse, disobedient mall while the other became the more suburban, higher end, lily-white mall. Flash forward 34 years later after additions/losses of theatres, ice rinks, a monorail, food courts, etc. and the two malls don't resemble each other like they once did. 12 Oaks is now up to 5 anchors, while Fairlane is down to 3. 12 Oaks interior has a new, 2000s feeling while Fairlane still contains a lot of it's 1970's interior. Hudsons/Macy's, Sears, JC Penney and [[closed at Fairlane but still standing) Lord and Taylor are in the exact same spots at the two malls but the once close to identical twins are worlds apart in personality.
    12 Oaks opened up several years after Fairlane. Up until the adding of the new wing at 12 Oaks, Fairlane was significantly bigger, with three levels instead of two. In certain places in Fairlane the levels are not level, giving the appearance of 5 levels. In this respect, Fairlane is better compared to Briarwood but with more levels. 12 Oaks floors are flat. All three were developed by Taubman.

Fairlane has better access than 12 Oaks, both by Car and by Bus. Both have terrible pedestrian access though Fairlane could really stand better ped access for the college campuses that are nearby.

Don't forget Lakeside.

I used to occasionally drive up there for stock transfers when I was with Anton's.

At that time, Fairlane WAS the whip, 12Oaks out in the sticks, and Lakeside on the dark side of the moon! LOL

My cousin is head of maintenance at 12Oaks, if I remember correctly. I know when I had both Al and Bobby Taubman...and his ex-wife Linda...as clients during the biggest part of my hifi consulting business before the magazine gig in LA...he used to get all giggy when I mentioned I had been in all their houses. Bobby and Linda, regularly, Al's was not nearly as enjoyable.

This was before Al got in trouble with the Southeby's pricing thing.

The most impressive place was Linda's...I loved working in that household, and she was quite the genuine lady.

I also had Maury Cohen as a client...he and his partner and then the Taubman group were probably responsible for half of the malls in the country! Cohen was a total trip...a living version of King Solomon hisself...straight through the Book of Ecclesiastes.

But I learned a TON of how malls operate through the talks we had every day I was installing his hifi. I never got a THING done before noon with him, but never minded it. I still have a few mementos from that time, some inspirational things he gave me, and a killer live recording I made of a party with Marcus Belgrave, who he flew all around the country for gigs in his plane.

It is no secret why he and his partner always were at the top of the listing of the DIA and Orchestra benefactors. He had more money than anyone else I've ever known, excepting Charlie Crocker out in San Francisco...who also owned a bunch of malls. Pretty sure his in the city is the biggest one, too.

Geez, I never thought about how many mall owners have paved my pockets all these years.

Thanks for shopping in them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    12 Oaks opened up several years after Fairlane. Up until the adding of the new wing at 12 Oaks, Fairlane was significantly bigger, with three levels instead of two. In certain places in Fairlane the levels are not level, giving the appearance of 5 levels. In this respect, Fairlane is better compared to Briarwood but with more levels. 12 Oaks floors are flat. All three were developed by Taubman.

Fairlane has better access than 12 Oaks, both by Car and by Bus. Both have terrible pedestrian access though Fairlane could really stand better ped access for the college campuses that are nearby.

12 Oaks opened in 1977, Fairlane opened in 1976.

I like the mall too... if I am doing a mall and I want something nearby I usually choose Fairlane.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast