Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The GMC brand will go too. It makes no sense to have an entire division that is seperated from other vehicles only by a trimplate.

Its just a shame that so few of the "top talent" executives running the show, that approved of this for all these years, aren't long out the door.

Dodge is next to go.

Yeah, I would think GMC would go before Pontiac. Actually, how long has GMC been around? It's only a truck/SUV division. Pontiac had a lot more variety and obvious history. The G8 to me was starting to look like the car that could lead the division back to prominence. Maybe it will be renamed under Buick. Buick could use a true sports sedan.

I will miss Pontiac if it goes, I like my Buick, But the Chief has hotter Cars then Buick.Looks like my bucks when I can spend them for a new car will be for a Ford.

The only Pontiac I owned was a 1989 Sunbird. I loved that car, but thanks to an ex who was "supposed" to take care of our bills, it got repo'ed. Lately, though, I think the writing was on the wall. Remember the ad campaign for the "first ever G6?" OK, so was there a G5 or an F6 that I missed? Dumb. And what was up with the Solstice? Great looker but for Pontiac? Lots of misfires told me that the writing was on the wall. Heck, I still miss Oldsmobile.

what about the G8??? they can't get rid of the first good thing they've done in a long time.

I agree about the G8. that is a nice car. I think they should re-brand it and the solstice as a modern buick. I think the buick brand could be further built as a stepping stone to Cadillac instead of the grampa golfer cars they have been selling for awhile. The solstice would be perfect for Buick, it looks more like the current style...the were planning a buick version anyway when the car fist came out. I love my Sky though, I still think its is better than the solstice. The Vibe seams like a car that they need to keep, because it hits that small car, young buyer market. The G6 is basically a dumbed down Malibu...would be nice to have a coupe version of that in the Chevy lineup though!

Retroit Guest

It really doesn't make a lot of sense [[nor cents) to have multiple Makes within an auto company. Really, how different is a Chevy from a Pontiac from a Buick...? They are made in the same factories by the same workers. They have the same engines, the same radios, the same body frame, etc... They are designed by the same engineers, marketed by the same marketers, sold at the same dealerships, etc... Sure, they may have a separate design department that inserts their "unique" front grill and taillights, but these very minor cosmetic differences probably weaken GM's overall brand loyalty as much as they increase their Make loyalty. I think GM [[and any other automaker) should build just one car of each size. If someone has such loyalty to a specific Make, the car dealerships can slap on a sticker with the necessary emblem.

This has been a big problem for GM since the 1970s.X,J and A cars and now the Cobalt/G5.As their market share fell,they continued to sell "like " vehicles from each division.All they did was rob sales from each other dealership.Thru the 50s and 60s,each line of cars had their own styling,powertrain,and place in the market.A350 Chevy motor has nothing in common with a 350 Olds.A 455 Buick and a 455 Pontiac had a common altenator,thats about it.This all changed when the Olds buyers got stuck with 350 Chevy motors instead of their 350 Rockets.A light when on in Roger Smiths brain,and it went downhill from there.
    So now the G6 will become a Skylark,the G8 will stay in Aussieville,the Vibe will be picked up by Toyota as the Matrix,the Solstice/Sky will go the way of the Reatta and the Fiero and we will watch our state slip beneath the waves......

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblu View Post
    The GMC brand will go too. It makes no sense to have an entire division that is seperated from other vehicles only by a trimplate.

Its just a shame that so few of the "top talent" executives running the show, that approved of this for all these years, aren't long out the door.
    GMC may make no sense [[to you), but you kow what it does makey? MONEY! GMC is a cash cow for GM. Do you know how little R&D it takes to figure out how to slap some leather and wood trim on a chevy truck?

There may not be a need for two truck brands, but there is a need to make money. why fix something that isn't broken?

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    GMC may make no sense [[to you), but you kow what it does makey? MONEY! GMC is a cash cow for GM. Do you know how little R&D it takes to figure out how to slap some leather and wood trim on a chevy truck?

There may not be a need for two truck brands, but there is a need to make money. why fix something that isn't broken?
    exaclty.

a lot of fleet managers, which is what GMC sells a lot of their full-size trucks to, logically or not like GMC trucks more than chevy trucks. if you take away gmc or chevy trucks, you force them to choose your other product, or the competition's, and i'll bet you the net result would be less truck buyers than both brands combined have now

GM has already stated that GMC is going to be one of their 4 core brands, along with Chevy, Cadillac, and Buick.

It's not going anywhere.