Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Possibly stupid question, but I thought GM was looking to sell the RenCen and then lease space in it during the height of their troubles. I take it this never happened, and they still own the building?

I think there is a false perception that you can't raise kids in the city. Even some of most avid urbanites will run to the suburbs if they have kids. I see lots of kids in Lafayette Park, as well as in Woodbridge and other areas. I see moms and dads with strollers and dogs. It is a myth that you can't have a family here. If it's a yard you desire, we have those too, many of them. In Woodbridge there are many private yards, most of which are fenced in and lined with privacy trees, perfect for pets or children. And even though half of the schools are gone, there are still many great schools. Public schools such Cass Tech or Detroit School of the Arts or charter schools such as Detroit Waldorf School or University Prep.

But perhaps the most important thing about living here is the culture and the community spirit. The neighborhoods of actual neighbors, not strangers. The museums, parks and the Riverwalk. The architecture. The diversity. The activism and community organizing. I think these are really the things we should value most.

I can understand why families don't want to come to Detroit, but it's a myth that it is impossible to have a family here. And it is downright offensive to tell someone you know to move away for their own good. We may live on less money than any other city [[most people are in poverty). We may have more conflict due to economic hardship. But we have a spirit and resiliency that other cities simply do not have.

couldnt've said it better myself, casscorridor [[speaking as a new father from new center).

Default Without representation

I'm sure this horse has been beaten to death but....

Anyone care to share their thoughts on taxation without representation?

For the longest time it was laughable to pay 1% for the "privilege" of working in the city. In the short 7 years I've been here, I've noticed positive changes but could see how a "Nater" [[north of 8 mile) would take issue with paying into a system that is rather flawed-especially without a voice or vote in fixing it.

"Anyone care to share their thoughts on taxation without representation?"

There's no such thing. City income taxes are permitted by state law. If one doesn't like the fact that they exist, they should contact their state representative and state senator and ask them to repeal the law. That's your representation.

The same complaint is made by people who own second homes and don't get to vote on local property tax proposals where those homes are located. If you don't like it, contact your representatives in Lansing. Everyone has one so the complaint of "no representation" is much ado about nothing.

Novine-I agree with you on all points. Not saying that the tax is illegal-But a deterrent.

I work in Troy [[2000 census population of 81,000) and do not pay a city tax. There are green spaces, shopping opportunities, maintained streets, and a whole host of benefits.

Those working in the city of Detroit [[2000 census population of 951,000) pay a city tax and receive what?

How can this be? What burdens have been heaped upon the city of Detroit that the city of Troy does not have to face?

"What burdens have been heaped upon the city of Detroit that the city of Troy does not have to face?"

Is this a trick question?

Cass, actually I agree totally what you said ,that there are families in some of our areas who have moved in and do well. The perception is you cant and what I personally meant was that many unfortunately just wont no matter what is said. Glad to see there are situations as you described. I know when I walk through the Mies Townhouses to the market on Saturday morning there are numerous kids playing in the central play areas in the complex, Often with the parents and the dog hanging around , all having fun.. These are glimpses of urban life many don't believe exist. I wish a magazine would do a pictorial/article on these examples. When I was at the market on Saturday I was walking ahead of a well dressed lady and her teen son, He said to her, that he wished they lived downtown and could do fun things like go to the market easily. She said to him that nobody decent really lives down here and its just way to unsafe, and that the market is just open on Saturday and there isnt much going on otherwise. I had to turn around and politely educate her about the many things to do and that many of us live in quite safe areas.that you just need to do your homework and pick a viable area. She didnt know what to say and just smiled.. Glad you are educating us on this also...

Worked in Troy for 5 years... I'd rather pay the 1% than deal with the traffic gridlock that Troy offers.... during rush hour it's easier getting to downtown than Troy. Going out to lunch... good luck without a car...

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Novine-I agree with you on all points. Not saying that the tax is illegal-But a deterrent. ...

How can this be? What burdens have been heaped upon the city of Detroit that the city of Troy does not have to face?
    Detroit's tax is hardly uncommon. The burdens heaped upon the city are the daily use of its roads and services [[such as they are) by people who do not live there. the 1% is supposed to help defray that.

It's a PR problem for sure, but it's not unreasonable and shouldn't be the deterrent that it's made out to be. Especially when businesses who relocate usually get tons of other tax abatement and incentives. One would think the company could pass some of that along to the employee to make them whole on that 1% hit.

I know when I walk through the Mies Townhouses to the market on Saturday morning there are numerous kids playing in the central play areas in the complex, Often with the parents and the dog hanging around , all having fun.. These are glimpses of urban life many don't believe exist. I wish a magazine would do a pictorial/article on these examples
    Detroit Home July/August 2007 issue had an article on the townhouses and had a kid and dog picture. Dwell magazine Jan 2009 had an article on the townhouses too but just showed a couple with no kids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2