Danny,

Sounds like you went to the barbershop today for a shape-up and a little ground floor philosphy. I happen to like your report on the newest theory why Detroit is in the shape it is in. It reminds me of all the other theories about Detroit and how "the other" is trying to steal it back.

Crack, smack, blow and St Ides were all evil plans to return the City to its pale roots; as was urban renewel, freeways, food stamps, HUD and spinners on the hooptie. It is always the outsider that is creeping in under the veil of darkness to bring a little devil to Devil's Night, some kneecapping to the fireworks or a wiretap to catch the honest man.

It is this same belief in "the other" that makes us bend our knees while asking for a some bus fare to go see our sick mothers, or to demand that Lansing or Washington send some moohla, as long as they don't demand an accounting of the last money they sent.

See, Danny, in Detroit it is always "the other", "the outsider" that is either screwing us over or just about to save us from screwing. The duality of "the other" is what ensnares us in our wretchedness. The killer and the saint. The fear and hope. The lover and and the shanker. They are all the same. The roots of both are from the same poisoned tree. We point to the unseen, powerful force as the cause of our state of being; we are but toys for their pleasure and regardless of our efforts we twist to their will.

In haiti such forces are called loa. Sort of Saint and spirit; either guardian or avenger and while you can appease their will with rhum or dance it is all a crap shoot.

This duality of spirit and belief in "the other" insures that you are never responsible for your fate. The Other will crush you or save you and there isn't anything you can do about it, except complain.

Make sure you don't call the cops when the neighbor's house is torched by your cousin. Throw that McDonald's bag in the street. Don't stop at redlights. Point a finger evrywhere but the mirror.

You want proof? ... ever meet anyone who looted in '67? or lit a building a fire? I never have. But almost everyone saw a tank shoot up a building. In Detroit it is almost common belief that the National Guard caused the destruction, that the Army shot at firemen.

In Detroit we are liars, to ourselves.