Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

DS, come on now! What does that have to do with anything. Shit, if you can't se you are being robbed blind perhaps us folks who don't live in Detroit can show you just how this nonsense is not tolerated in progressive 1st world cities.

how about deferring the police bodyguards to patrol work at precincts...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    That not a single person who posted here is in the city....
    Maybe you've got a point. Based on this NPR piece, it's not unusual for municipal-level elected officials to have bodyguards, or for that matter to receive threats. Even the mayor of Chula Vista, CA used to have a bodyguard. Apparently, Chula Vista, CA is a city of 210,000 that is "at the center of one of the richest economic and culturally diverse zones in the United States," according to Wikipedia. I guess if even that guy gets a bodyguard, these guys need one as well in order to be able to focus on their important work amongst all of the threats to their safety. And in that same vein, maybe they need to get a car and driver so they don't have to put up with dumb distractions. So I'll stop flipping out.

But I still don't like it. I expect more commitment to the cause from public officials than to keep cops, kind of a vanishing resource, occupied in this manner. I still +1 that they should ride the bus, at least from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how about deferring the police bodyguards to patrol work at precincts...
    +1.
    Must.Type.10.Chars.

This thread reminds me of this quote, attributed to former DC mayor Marion Barry:

“People have criticized me because my security detail is larger than the president’s. But you must ask yourself: are there more people who want to kill me than who want to kill the president? I can assure you there are.”

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Detroiters voted these idiots in so you got 'em.

That being said, don't you have the ability to recall these fools via petitions? Then again the DPS is so dismal perhaps many Detroiters couldn't read what the petition would state.
    Good God. If you have no respect for the people of the City of Detroit, why do you post here?
    I might add, if you have so much seething contempt for Detroiters then you should not post here.

I don't believe Pugh is corrupt or taking advantage of the system - he is simply not an administrator. He couldn't master his own finances and he can't master the city's. He was a newscaster. None of this can come as a surprise.

That said, while I didn't vote for him or most of the current council, they are nowhere near as deranged as the last one. I know the budget process isn't going smoothly, but agree with the cuts or not, at least this council has some idea of fiscal responsibility.

Of course, Detroiters can elect a halfway decent council and still get called illiterate by the haters. I used to live in Harrison Township - their meetings were totally absurd and belligerent. Of course, rightfully nobody gives a shit about the inconsequential jerkwater burgs that surround the city, so Detroit gets all the bad publicity when I'd wager most councils have their share of mixed nuts. We have had worse councils in this city. Things are changing, if slowly.

Well stated Detroitpole, as much as I might talk about crime in the city and lack of city services I cannot get into the all and out contempt thing. Sad that some voted for the "newscaster" who could NOT manage his own house [[literally) to now manage a city. That was an obvious NO for me... I read and comprehend just fine thank you; I did NOT vote for him, neither did many of my friends and associates.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Good God. If you have no respect for the people of the City of Detroit, why do you post here?
    I might add, if you have so much seething contempt for Detroiters then you should not post here.

I don't believe Pugh is corrupt or taking advantage of the system - he is simply not an administrator. He couldn't master his own finances and he can't master the city's. He was a newscaster. None of this can come as a surprise.

That said, while I didn't vote for him or most of the current council, they are nowhere near as deranged as the last one. I know the budget process isn't going smoothly, but agree with the cuts or not, at least this council has some idea of fiscal responsibility.

Of course, Detroiters can elect a halfway decent council and still get called illiterate by the haters. I used to live in Harrison Township - their meetings were totally absurd and belligerent. Of course, rightfully nobody gives a shit about the inconsequential jerkwater burgs that surround the city, so Detroit gets all the bad publicity when I'd wager most councils have their share of mixed nuts. We have had worse councils in this city. Things are changing, if slowly.
    Originally Posted by GOAT
    Detroiters voted these idiots in so you got 'em.

That being said, don't you have the ability to recall these fools via petitions? Then again the DPS is so dismal perhaps many Detroiters couldn't read what the petition would state.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-11-10 at 06:36 PM.

Can we thank the crook Young for this policy or did his predecessors [[ab)use them also?

I remember stories about his thug detail and his armored car.

Buy American Guest

I began my career in the Cavanaugh era. I'm sure that corruption existed in every one of the previous administrations as well as his. The one thing that I know is, when CAY took the helm, corruption took on a life of it's own and was at an all time high. The reason...because CAY bucked "the man" and the Detroiters loved it. He could do no wrong and his administration and appointees began the rape of Detroit. He was investigated by the FBI, he was confrontational with all who opposed his ideas, he was obvious about his hatred for white people. Detroit began it's downhill spiral then and until someone with integrity [[ie., possibly Bing) really takes over, it will continue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2