Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

DetroitDad Guest

Default The New "City Beautiful" Movement

Quote Originally Posted by UnsteadyYeti View Post
    When are they going to finish the portion to connect it to eastern market by going under gratiot? I know it was in the original plans.
    I like to think we are getting ready for The Roaring Twenties again.

I do not remember the exact time frame, but the eventual plan is to bring a green way all the way up and over to Midtown, straight through Brush Park, as well as up Dequindre to Warren Road, and over to the Midtown Loop. Completion of this grand vision is based on a lot of things coming together....

There should be plenty of room to put the trail in up as far as Mack. The Dequindre cut once had 4 tracks running the length of it [[2 main tracks on the inside plus two service/industry switch tracks on the outside). A single Detroit Connecting track remains [[although there is a run-around track somewhere near Mack) to serve their farthest south customer...so there should be room on the ROW for the pathway, too. Maybe the railroad and the conservancy can team up to clean up that northern part of the cut....just fill up train cars with trash and debris and shuttle them right into the incinerator complex!!

This is probably a pipe dream, but if light rail, street cars, etc got good enough in downtown to make the people mover [[more) obsolete, i'd love to see it turn into something like the high line.