Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm a Christian, but this makes me sick.

He deserved to go to jail for what he did. Period. I believe in mercy, but I also believe in justice. You break the law, you deserve to go to jail. And God is not required to get you out.

“One of our most gifted black men in America has been done wrong,” Sheffield said.
    Not to sound racist, but really? One of the most gifted?

So ridiculous.
    Last edited by LeannaM; June-09-10 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    I did not intend for the "black list" comment to be the race card, and understood the intent of "black list" to mean "bad list" or some such. My comment regarding the race card was in reference to Reed's comment "They got negroes running scared," Reed said". And furthermore why would it just be "negroes" running scared, Kwame had contact and obvious support from more than just "negroes".

But I can see how your discussion could go. I have found myself being cautious how I use some words, black being one of them.
    Yeah, I figured as much. But that whole thing that can happen sometimes when people misunderstand each other a little bit that way just happened over in another thread. Somebody had been quoted in a paper as saying they were happy to live downtown, what with all the "black" restaurants and such. This set off a whole slew of back and forth about whether this person apparently preferred the company of black people, or was referring to soul food and such, forms of cuisine some might call "black" the same way Butter Chicken is an "Indian" dish and Pad Thai is "Thai" food. Last time I checked that thread, things had escalated to somebody posting a picture of two people drinking from two segregation-era water fountains and stating that this was another thing of that type they didn't approve of.

I actually didn't think you or the newspaper meant that at all, I was just in a mindset where I half-expected someone to come along, misunderstand, and start posting that kind of thing here. While I think it's sad that these issues are so raw and unresolved here and in society at large, of course, I also think it's kind of funny, in a way, that things can go so haywire.

So I made an irresponsible pun.

But no, I did not think you meant that, or the newspaper article. That was blacklisting as in Hollywood figures being blacklisted for suspected ties to communism in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    MLive article described the t-shirt a bit more than the freep article:
    church attendants handing out T-shirts -- adorned with the mayor's face on the front and a Biblical scripture above the city's skyline on the back

while the freep quoted the scripture
    You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
    It's kind of ironic that we happen to be the ones that are free. Wonder if Kwame will get the message?
    ROFL, and I don't say that a lot. I wonder if I can find a picture...

Edit: found a picture at http://tweetphoto.com/26261020. LMAO, like some latter-day Nelson Mandela.

"Some of the greatest folk on this shirt have been in jail."
    Last edited by fryar; June-09-10 at 06:50 PM.

"One of our most gifted black men in America has been done wrong," said Pastor Jim Holley
    Does Pastor Jim Holley consider himself a crusader against racism when saying these things?

Look, to be fair, the guy seemed like he did really try to bring some money and action into Detroit. But he was convincingly convicted of perjuring himself while holding the office of the mayor of one of the biggest cities in America.

I flat out call poppycock on this proposition that he in any way represents the apex of what American males of any particular racial or ethnic persuasion have to offer. Poppycock, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    ROFL, and I don't say that a lot. I wonder if I can find a picture...

Edit: found a picture at http://tweetphoto.com/26261020. LMAO, like some latter-day Nelson Mandela.

"Some of the greatest folk on this shirt have been in jail."
    OMG that would be hilarious. Then put "with good reason"

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Yeah, I figured as much. But that whole thing that can happen sometimes when people misunderstand each other a little bit that way just happened over in another thread. Somebody had been quoted in a paper as saying they were happy to live downtown, what with all the "black" restaurants and such. This set off a whole slew of back and forth about whether this person apparently preferred the company of black people, or was referring to soul food and such, forms of cuisine some might call "black" the same way Butter Chicken is an "Indian" dish and Pad Thai is "Thai" food. Last time I checked that thread, things had escalated to somebody posting a picture of two people drinking from two segregation-era water fountains and stating that this was another thing of that type they didn't approve of.

I actually didn't think you or the newspaper meant that at all, I was just in a mindset where I half-expected someone to come along, misunderstand, and start posting that kind of thing here. While I think it's sad that these issues are so raw and unresolved here and in society at large, of course, I also think it's kind of funny, in a way, that things can go so haywire.

So I made an irresponsible pun.

But no, I did not think you meant that, or the newspaper article. That was blacklisting as in Hollywood figures being blacklisted for suspected ties to communism in the 50's.
    I absolutely did not think you made an irresponsible pun, I just wanted to clarify myself on the race card issue. I could not agree with you more on the issue of peoples mind-set and society at large and how defensive they are to the "black" issue, especially when nothing was intended as to a "black and white" issue.

BTW, I have never heard of "Butter Chicken" being "Indian" food. Learn something new everyday. Just shows how sheltered my life may be.

Thanks for the back and forth conversation. Sorry about the other forums [[especially the freep and wdiv) where people are vicious about some of these issues.

LodgeDodger Guest

Does Pastor Jim Holley consider himself a crusader against racism when saying these things?
    Many folks in this town [[and nation) have made a load of money in the racism crusade industry. The problem is, many folks don't give a shit about a person's color. These folks have to keep it an issue by creating made-up racial slights. There is a special place in Hell for these folks. They've betrayed the trust of those who need it most.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Many folks in this town [[and nation) have made a load of money in the racism crusade industry. The problem is, many folks don't give a shit about a person's color. These folks have to keep it an issue by creating made-up racial slights. There is a special place in Hell for these folks. They've betrayed the trust of those who need it most.
    So well-said that I have nothing to add.
    Well, of course I do, but nothing as essential or concise.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    So well-said that I have nothing to add.
    Well, of course I do, but nothing as essential or concise.
    Thank you, Ravine. Coming from you, that's the ultimate compliment. *hug*

I phoned it in.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    +1

Must.use.10.characters.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I phoned it in.
    I was wondering who that was, on the speakerphone, pretending to be Louis Farrakhan.

What planet our these people living on, They all spout what a victim poor Kwame is and how there was a miscarriage of justice....yikes! The man is a convicted felon, he is in jail where he belongs as a result of his own admission of guilt, forget his trashing of his sacred vow of marriage, he was running a criminal conspiracy from behind the Mayor desk. The only scary thought is the fact that he will most likely hone his criminal skill set while doing time with the pro's and should he remain in the Detroit area after he gets out of the joint...then look out Detroit.

"Cheeks Evans said his cousin was a victim of "unfounded accusations typical to us black men in America today." [[yeah the feds probably planted Christine Beaty and paid those cops to get fired by KK)

"They got negroes running scared," Reed said. "You can't even mention Kwame's name. If you decide to help save this young man, they'll put you on a proverbial black list. Well I'm here to say that I'm not scared." [[Yeah baby whip up that race card)

Reed also reminded congregants that he would continue to fight for Kilpatrick's freedom.

Holley closed the service by detailing a conversation he had with Cheeks Kilpatrick and Ayanna Kilpatrick, Kwame Kilpatrick's sister.

"She said, 'Kwame will be fine. What I'm concerned about are the young men and young women...on their way to prison. They will come out bitter and not better.'" he said. [[should have thought about that before you broke the law!)

"We want to send the message to our brother that he is still loved. You never really know God until there is trouble in your life. The worst thing you could've done to Kwame is put that negro in jail," Holley added. [[Why the over use of the "N" word here, everyone knows Kawme is of Afri-Amer decent, is this an attenpt to reintroduce this moniker into the present day vernacular to gain sympathy for convicted felons?)

Man this stuff makes your head spin...

What planet our these people living on, they all spout what a victim poor Kwame is and how there was a miscarriage of justice....yikes! The man is a convicted felon, he is in jail where he belongs as a result of his own admission of guilt, forget his trashing of his sacred vow of marriage, he was running a criminal conspiracy from behind the Mayor desk. The only scary thought is the fact that he will most likely hone his criminal skill set while doing time with the pro's and should he remain in the Detroit area after he gets out of the joint...then look out Detroit.

As quoted from the article:

"Cheeks Evans said his cousin was a victim of "unfounded accusations typical to us black men in America today." [[Yeah the feds probably planted Christine Beatty and paid those cops to get fired by KK)

"They got negroes running scared," Reed said. "You can't even mention Kwame's name. If you decide to help save this young man, they'll put you on a proverbial black list. Well I'm here to say that I'm not scared." [[Yeah baby whip up that race card)

Reed also reminded congregants that he would continue to fight for Kilpatrick's freedom.

Holley closed the service by detailing a conversation he had with Cheeks Kilpatrick and Ayanna Kilpatrick, Kwame Kilpatrick's sister.

"She said, 'Kwame will be fine. What I'm concerned about are the young men and young women...on their way to prison. They will come out bitter and not better.'" he said. [[Should have thought about that before you broke the law!)

"We want to send the message to our brother that he is still loved. You never really know God until there is trouble in your life. The worst thing you could've done to Kwame is put that negro in jail," Holley added. [[Why the over use of the "N" word here, everyone knows Kwame is of Afri-Amer decent, is this an attempt to reintroduce this moniker into the present day vernacular to gain sympathy for convicted felons?)

Man this stuff makes your head spin...

Makes your head spin, and your stomach turn

I'm prayin the judge turns down the boot camp

Quote Originally Posted by jlnascar View Post
    I'm prayin the judge turns down the boot camp
    The Judge can only recommend action. The Dept. of Corrections has final say. The whole thing is bullshit. That program was designed for young offenders who may be able to turn things around, not older corrupt assholes Kwame. If he can cut it, he will go free, and out of the U.S. he goes. I'm sure that there is a ton of money in offshore accounts.

Maybe it is finally time for the Feds to step in with whatever their case is and let him and his cronies have it!!! He just can't skate out of all this, he just can't..........I would be so angry if that happens. This is like Ground Hogs Day...just never goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by unclefrank View Post
    The Judge can only recommend action. The Dept. of Corrections has final say.
    I'm pretty sure its the other way around. That's why they're waiting for Groner to return to see if he accepts the recommendation. The DOC doesn't set any sentences, they just recommend.

I believe that the DOC did not even "recommend."
    DOC did an impartial evaluation of Kilpatrick's legal standing as it does of every in-coming prisoner and found that Kilpatrick qualified for the program - like on a point scale. So they submitted the qualification to the judge - as they do for every sentenced prisoner.

Default Amateurs

[quote=EASTSIDE CAT 67-83;153621]Man this stuff makes your head spin...[/quote]It's bitter, this cynical use of the race card as a last resort, and highly, highly undignififed. It is reassuring to see this community on DY pretty much outright reject that.

That being said, the less-than-professional level of polish, the production values, just aren't there, and it's kind of a laugh riot. So let me get this straight, not only does the celebrity appear on speakerphone, but the very next paragraph states that in his introduction, he greets Mrs. Kilpatrick [[sr.) and wishes her husband, whom she got divorced from 20 years ago, well. It's like dumb and dumberer over there, that they managed to get the t-shirts right is a miracle.

This probably feels like groundog day to them too. "Oh no. Not again. I have to humiliate myself again?"

I believe Judge Groner can veto this boot camp recommendation.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    ..."They got negroes running scared," Reed said...
    ...The worst thing you could've done to Kwame is put that negro in jail," Holley added. [[Why the over use of the "N" word here, everyone knows Kawme is of Afri-Amer decent, is this an attempt to reintroduce this moniker into the present day vernacular to gain sympathy for convicted felons?)
    Good point [[although technically not the "n word"). I think their intention was to attempt to make Kwame sympathizers believe that he was put in jail because of racism on the part of those who want him in jail. In other words, they are contending that white people and their black sympathizers still think of African-Americans as "Negroes", "coloreds", or "[n-words]". This is the same technique used by [some] Obama supporters in their criticism of those who disagree with his policies.

As Bill Cosby would say, "The white people are laughing at us." Yes, laughing at the few remaining African-Americans who still think that they are being put in jail for their skin color, and not for their crimes.
    Last edited by Retroit; June-11-10 at 02:08 PM. Reason: clarification so as not to offend the absolutists

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    The only scary thought is the fact that he will most likely hone his criminal skill set while doing time with the pro's and should he remain in the Detroit area after he gets out of the joint...then look out Detroit.
    This is quite a legitimate concern. I'm glad you raised it. I think Groner won't go with the bootcamp qualification. Keeping him in seg in Manistee will avoid this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    This is the same technique used by Obama supporters in their criticism of those who disagree with his policies.
    Not by this Obama supporter.
    Last edited by fryar; June-11-10 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Less content, less provocative. Like Six Flags, but backwards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast