Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There is an article in the January 2019 edition of the magazine, Railfan & Railroad, about the old SEMTA commuter rail service from Pontiac to Detroit. It gives a couple real nice photos as well as some history on the service.

http://railfan.com/semta-motor-city-commuter/

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    There is an article in the January 2019 edition of the magazine, Railfan & Railroad, about the old SEMTA commuter rail service from Pontiac to Detroit. It gives a couple real nice photos as well as some history on the service.

Cool post. I'm probably one of the few posters here that actually remember the train station Downtown and the commuters.

I'm surprised to learn that there was stops at Ferndale AND Pleasant Ridge. You would think that they would've just closed PR instead of wanting to close both.

I only remember the stairs at 12 Mile and the train tracks in Royal Oak. There's a house there that I was jealous at because they had stairs leading up to the tracks in their backyard!

I believe there were two stops in RO: 11 Mile and 12 Mile. Did not know there was a PR station.

I think maybe, at some point, there was something between the Bham and Bloomfield stations. Like something around Big Beaver or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I believe there were two stops in RO: 11 Mile and 12 Mile. Did not know there was a PR station.

I think maybe, at some point, there was something between the Bham and Bloomfield stations. Like something around Big Beaver or so?
    Yes, there was the downtown RO station and the 12 Mile stop.

I do believe there was a Charing Cross stop AND a Long Lake and Kensington stop, which I think the latter was the "Bloomfield" station.

Then again I'm not sure if they were all operational over the same period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post

I remember this was the train that used to offer rides to & from the Freedom Festival Fireworks back in the late 70s-early 80s. We took it on that run a few times.

If I recall there was a train that came into Detroit late morning. In the afternoon the commuter trains were outbound about every 30 minutes. The waiting shed at Pleasant Ridge was a crude three sided shed, would keep you dry. There was a yard in Ferndale and if you had to leave the yard you had to time your departure so you would not interfere with any of the outbound commuter trains. There were DSR buses at the Milw. Jct. station to convey commuters to the New Center area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2