Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Small guerrilla art project on Chene near Ferry.

I made some new friends this past weekend on my old block on Farnsworth. I heard about the concrete wedding cakes that were displayed in different abandoned storefronts over the past year and met one of the creators. I remember seeing some pics of that project here on Dyes. They went through a lot of trouble to get that project going, and while I dont think it ended up exactly the way they visioned it I really liked what they did and the effort they put into trying Chene St on as a big canvas. Chene St oozes with ghosts of past business, most people I know who first see Chene near Ferry wonder out loud what it was like there 35 years ago, and what year did it really start to crumble. The strip was no doubt a major hub for the East side, now its just ghosts for the most part. All the abandoned storefronts on Chene south of 94 are just aching for color, some new form. The new friends I made started a small art project recently. He brings a bunch of kids down and lets them dictate what they want painted on the pre painted white boards covering the broken windows. After he has drawn out what they want in a thick paint marker the color comes in.

I took a few pics today but couldnt stick around, maybe Ill post some more after its finished.

I have my own ideas on how to liven up the abandoned storefronts and it does not involve fire, a lot of paint would be needed and a paint sprayer. Anyone want to get involved drop me a line. I would like to put together a group of folks interested in doing something with Chene St. I suggested it would be the perfect place for a Red Light District but I want to take things slow and put that off for a couple of years

Last edited by Django; June-03-10 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Guerrilla Gorilla