Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yes, growing up on Nottingham near Grayton. .....
    That made us just about neighbors!!! I grew up on Nottingham a few houses north of Britain. I was there from 1961-1990.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    That made us just about neighbors!!! I grew up on Nottingham a few houses north of Britain. I was there from 1961-1990.
    1941 to 1954 then we moved to Rochester..

In 1961, I worked for the city and lived on Reno and Schoenherr. End of the year, I went in the army and never went back except to visit.

Anthony Wayne Elementary [[Lakepointe and Courville) 1944-1951
    Andrew Jackson Intermediate [[Marlborough and Phillip) 1951-1953
    Denby High School [[Seymour and Kelly) 1953-1954
    Rochester High School 1954-1957

Grew up in the vicinity of McNichols and Mound Rd., a middle class neighborhood with good folks who cared about the area. There were great stores who fresh baked goods, deli meats and such. There were no movie houses, the closest was the Nortown or the Six Mile. We bailed out of Detroit in '79 and no regrets. Living in out state Michigan beats the hell out of being in Detroit [[God forbid) or even crowded SE Michigan. Have not been back in many years and there are no plans to return to Coleman Youngstown or Kwameville.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    1941 to 1954 then we moved to Rochester..

In 1961, I worked for the city and lived on Reno and Schoenherr. End of the year, I went in the army and never went back except to visit.

Anthony Wayne Elementary [[Lakepointe and Courville) 1944-1951
    Andrew Jackson Intermediate [[Marlborough and Phillip) 1951-1953
    Denby High School [[Seymour and Kelly) 1953-1954
    Rochester High School 1954-1957
    My mother attended Jackson and graduated from Denby in '55. I attended Carleton elementary but then switched to University Liggett for 6th through 12th grade.

Bewick near Kercheval-1964, then apt bldg St Paul and Pennsylvania to 1968. Remember the Theatre Deluxe, Mom and Tots Daycare, Waterworks Park . Moved to Sorrento near Meyers and Fenkell in 1969. Saw the building of Guest Primary [[now Bethune Annex), went to Guest Elementary then Middle School. Still viable commercial strip on Fenkell, and Butzel Playfield, Jack Adams Arena going on. Refused to attend Cooley, went to Renaissance High in 1982.Returned home to a second half [[ after the University of Michigan A2) near Whittier and Whitehill, eventually grad of UM- Dearborn. Bounced around Belle Isle area, Riverbend area, 6 and Gratiot, Elmhurst/Livernois, and North Corktown. Now near Motown Museum [[to stay), who knows?
    Last edited by Pontiac6000; May-19-10 at 02:41 PM.

Hi there,
    I'm making a movie about cass corridor in the late 70s early 80s. Around the time of the bigfoot killings in cass. Anyone interested in being interviewed or answering some questions via internet, Phone or in person. I'll buy you coffee! I'm looking for folks who grew up in cass, worked in cass or just hung around in general. It would really help me out and complete the authenticity of my little indie film.

I lived at 11717 Glenfield moved to Roseville in 1960. Went to Wilkens Elementary.

Lived in Redford Township, just off of Beech, south of 5 Mile. Went to Redford Union HS. Live in Tn now.

Ron_saad Guest

Jefferson and Chalmers area.
    Graduated in 1970 from St. Martin of Tours[[on the lake).

Default where i grew up

I was born at Jennings Hospital at the height of the Detroit riots in 43
    vicki

Default Eastside

I grew up where now sits the infamous poletown plant,Iwent to Parke school and Gresuel Jr High,Was born in Providence Hospital on East Grand Blvd in 1953

Born at Detroit Osteopathic in Highland Park in 1949. [[Is the hospital still there?) Lived on Carmel St [[off Woodward between 7 and State Fair). Then moved to Buena Vista between LaSalle and Montville. Went to Indiandale Elementary. Then in '59 we moved to Wasmund Ave in Warren [[2 blocks N of 8 Mile between Warner and Ryan. Went to Schofield Elementary and then Fitzgerald High at 9 and Ryan. Graduated in '67.

I didn't actually grow up in Detroit, but I spent one weekend a month there visiting my father [[my parents were divorced) from 1956-1976 when he died. He lived on Covington in Palmer Park, and my grandmother lived around the corner on Manderson. It was a beautiful neighborhood and the actual Palmer Park was a lovely urban oasis. Wow, did I get a shock when I went back to check it out when I was in town on business last year.

As a child, I loved to go downtown and shop at Hudson's or Saks. I remember great plays at the Fischer Theater, including meals at Topinkas. My Dad was a regular at Larco's [[MacNichols?), and the Paradiso on Woodward.I remember The Top of the Flame and The Roostertail. My Dad would bring me souvenirs from the Playboy Club. I loved the Zoo and Henry Ford/Greenfield Village.The DIA with those great Rivera murals.Are they all gone except the Zoo and the museums? I have so many fond memories of Detroit. My Dad was born and raised in Detroit and proud of it. He refused to run to the suburbs. It really broke my heart when Kwame made Detroit the butt of so many jokes. Why Dave Bing wanted that job, I'll never understand! But, I surely do wish him luck!

Here is the direct link to that other Ramona page with pictures:

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=736&type=5

Here is the direct link to that other Ramona page with pictures:

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=736&type=5
    My sister was a candy counter girl at the Ramona in the mid sixties. We used to get in free for movies because she worked there.

And here is a direct link to the listing of other Detroit theaters

http://cinematreasures.org/search/qu...it&search=city

And here is a direct link to the listing of other Detroit theaters

http://cinematreasures.org/search/qu...it&search=city
    Thanks. That is one impressive site.

Plymouth Rd. & Southfield. Rosemont. Born@ Mt. Carmel

I grew up on Glenfield Street, 5 house off of Chalmers between Huston Whitter and outer Drive.

Memories that I have:

Bumper hitching
    Firecrackers in the street
    Paper route
    Balduck Park
    Civic Movie Theater
    Eastland Mall [[girls)
    Denby Drivers Ed
    Guardian Angels
    Crusing Gratiot- good old days

Schools:
    Goodale Elementary
    St. Julianna
    St. Davids 6th grade
    Burbank- 7th grade
    Also, went to Rosa Parks [[8th grade) when St. Davids High School was converted to DPS.
    So sad to see a nice former high school go down like that.

Born in Colorado. First 5 years of my life, I lived off Woodward in Highland Park; moved to Farmington, attended William Grace Elementary before moving to Toledo.

Hi, to all who live or move out of Detroit.
    I found a lot sad picture of Detroit, also where my mother once was born and live in Detroit.
    She was born in 1908, her mother and father were name Julie & William Paye, who once had a house on 486 or 2252 Belvidere Ave. But don't see there anymore on maps. I think got burn down, or freeway is now there, when neighbor went down hill, later in years. It really Sad to know this. She live there up to 1939, until met my Father then move out of Detroit.
    Juila maiden name was Cadieux, Great Cadieux Road in Grosse Pointe. She was Daughter of Francis L. Cadieux , who had a School name after him on St.Clair Ave., That a few years ago go brought out by a Public School.
    I have many story to tell you about. I hope someone know us. Many French settler are still living in Michigan or some where in U.S.A. Feel free to drop me a note. I like to hear from you.

I, too, am a "victim" of the changing Detroit neighborhood scene. Started out on Baldwin and Forest. Then to Parker and Mack. Then to Hayes and Seymour, then to Moross and Chester. Kept moving farther out. This all started from 1945 to 1963. So I have seen the changes. This is all pre riot [[67) so things moved slowly. Riots made it so I never even considered going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    I, too, am a "victim" of the changing Detroit neighborhood scene. Started out on Baldwin and Forest. Then to Parker and Mack. Then to Hayes and Seymour, then to Moross and Chester. Kept moving farther out. This all started from 1945 to 1963. So I have seen the changes. This is all pre riot [[67) so things moved slowly. Riots made it so I never even considered going back.
    So your family started "moving further out" starting in 1945? Man you were sure ahead of the curve!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    No need for the quotes around "victim" - victims is exactly what we were. Unfortunately neither my parents nor my grandparents got out of the city in time and both lost BUNDLES on their houses by waiting until the drug dealers had entered the neighborhoods and the midnight gunshots were flying. I was the first and only generation of my whole family to ever actually make money on Michigan real estate - my house was in Grosse Pointe Woods, where there was still a police force that actually enforced the laws and where criminals actually went to jail.

Oldtimer-do you remember Shulties at Baldwin and Forrest?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast