Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Crystal,

Have you folk considered radio or TV spots? If I didn't read this forum, I'd have no idea anything was happening at Fort Wayne. If you aren't already and again I haven't heard, have any military re-enactors been contacted about a possible rendezvous? Believe it or not, there are several of these groups and many boast large memberships. This would be a huge boon to the presence of the fort and what's happening there, here and elsewhere.
    My earliest memories of Fort Wayne are going to see my cousins in the fife and drum corps, actually. I wish the flea market were promoted better, myself. Seems like you'd have synergy between junkhounds and historical-minded types.

I am not knowledgeable enough to give a complete answer, but I do know that Lamar Advertising has donated space on several billboards to promote the Fort. I remember seeing frequent advertisements for "Christmas at the Fort" last year.

The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition was started by several re-enactors. Today most Coalition members are re-enactors, but not all. Almost all the events hosted by the Coalition involve re-enactors.

It would be incorrect and incomplete to say the Coalition's mission is to restore or "save" the Fort. In fact, the Coalition's mission is "to assist the city parks department in organizing and implementing living history events, and aid in the development of the Fort as a historic destination for future generations."

To answer your question, Ss, the HFWC has budgeted ~$1,000 to advertising in the last year. In addition, as Crystal stated, Lamar has generously donated their electronic billboard space to us to advertise our events. Last year, for our Christmas at the Fort event, they donated 9 billboards for over two months to us to advertise that event. This year they have already begun to run the Civil War Days [[July 10 and 11) and Car Show Event [[July 17) billboards and will through those event dates. We are VERY lucky to have them helping our effort.

Additionally, we have printed posters and begun to distribute flyers for the both those events and we constantly are pursuing every opportunity to advertise what we do at the Fort, but, to be honest with you, in my three year connection with the organization, we have been unable to convince anyone who could help us out that it is worth the effort.

Radio and TV time are very expensive, so those are not an option unless we get the ear of a news editor. Sometimes we have been lucky enough to get a story or an interview here or there, but, to be honest with you, there are far greater news events occurring around this town than some event in a forgotten area of the city.

We do the re-enactor event. I’m surprised that you have never heard or know of Civil War Days at Fort Wayne. It has been an ongoing [[5th year now) event that draws as many as 250 re-enactors and upwards of 4,000 visitors for the weekend. Many walk away saying the event is better than any that they have experienced in the state, or anywhere for that matter. There are also plans for two significant Michigan history events coming that will help raise the profile of the Fort. The first will be the Michigan sesquicentennial of the States involvement in the Civil War. There will be a ton of information evolving over the next few months which will help us to publicize that event. The second will be the 200th celebration of the War of 1812, which is shaping up to be a great partnership event with Canada and the US joining together to bring a quality representation of the period for all to see.

Lastly, on October 16 and 17, we will be hosting our first ever WWII re-enactor weekend, which will have guest speakers and many re-enactors and vehicles of the WWII era, akin to what is done at the Yankee Air Museum but a bit bigger!

Please feel free to come down and check it out. You will get a chance to meet many good people, far better representatives of our organization than myself. Perhaps you will even come back as a volunteer, who knows?

Here is a link to our website. All of our events are listed there:

www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Subvet, I thought the Fort was owned by the National Park Service. That is not correct?
    Crystal,

No, the National Parks Service does not own Historic Fort Wayne. The City of Detroit owns and operates the site under the Parks and Recreation Dept.

However, NPS and the Michigan State Historic Preservation Officer[[SHPO) has input up to approve/disapprove on items of historic importance on the grounds,[[i.e. the demolition of the old post hospital, building physical alterations, property development)

The most recent site to receive National Park Service designation in Michigan was the River Raisin Battlefield in Monroe, recognizing it's importance as a site during the War of 1812.

~Subvet

Subvet, thank you so much for the information. All this time I thought Fort Wayne was federally owned.

I had momentary panic that the City might try to sell the Fort to raise funds, but it sounds like NPS and the SHPO would need to approve such a transaction. Whew.

P'Res, Thanks for the response. I do recall "civil war days" now, I read about it on this forum. I can honestly say I don't ever recall seeing a billboard, I don't travel a lot and there were probably just none of them on my path.

Wow, $1k to advertise with is not much. Just throwing some ideas out here. Has anyone contacted any of the area broadcasters to possibly donate a few spots here and there? They would get a chance to toot their own horn as well, by making it known they are trying to help out in the community, a connection sorely lacking in todays local media. Also, there are local programs like Thriller Drive in, I gotta believe spots on their can't be too expensive. Advertising doesn't cost, it pays.

When I attended a business seminar at WSU, the instructor said he was always perplexed about businesses that refused to advertise, they eventually go under, liquidate and then spend everything they can on advertising to get people to show up for the auction.

Advertising is very important. Trade Thriller drive-in the ability to host a haunted house at the Fort for some spots??
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; June-08-10 at 08:42 PM.

WDET has a program to promote local arts agencies, perhaps the Fort Group could get the word out there [[history being a liberal art). Maybe a call to The Craig Fahle Show as well.

I was talking to someone that lives within about ten minutes of the Fort last night, he was reminiscing about his induction there back in the 60's. I casually asked if he was aware of the going's on at the fort, the battle re-enactments etc., he said he hadn't heard anything about it. All he heard [[his words). "Aren't they trying to make that an historical landmark?"

Never going to build up interest in the fort without advertising.

Fort Wayne is a national treasure. BUT, if you intend to get involved with anything that has to do with the city administration, be prepared to suffer a broken heart. They will beat you up, beat you down and if you're lucky, just ignore you. Take a quick look at recent history - Tiger Stadium, the Belle Isle Aquarium, Bob Lo Boats, The Lansdowne, the Madison-Lennox, not to mention a zillion other failed preservation projects. They could care less than one iota about your efforts. I hung out at Fort Wayne as a kid and teenager, when it was an active military base. I loved the place. My friend's father was an officer and they lived on base and in River Rouge while their father was stationed there. I knew people who worked there over the years. They were dumped by successive administrations in much better economic times. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news, everyone needs to be involved. But dealing with the City of Detroit is always a losing battle. As I've said time and again, enjoy Detroit for what it is in the moment, it has much cool stuff. Don't set high expectations - they'll shoot you down every time.

In regard to advertising: The Detroit Free Press had the Fort listed as one of the Best Bet to visit fo the weekend of June 4-6.

However, let me say this....I used to take my son there at least once a summer. It was a place to go that didn't cost much money and was educational at the same time. I didn't need "advertising" to help me find a place. I realize that nowadays kids want to go to Cedar Point and Michigan Adventure and the like. But as parents, we need to direct our children and grandchildren to the places that show the history of our country. They may not be fancy, but they are fun.

My grandson was part of one of the school groups that spent the night at Fort Wayne and their group raised a large amount of money to assist with reconstruction. They worked at a Culver's Restaurant as servers and all tips earned were turned over to HFWC.

Parents and educators....teach your children about the history of our City before it is all lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    In regard to advertising: The Detroit Free Press had the Fort listed as one of the Best Bet to visit fo the weekend of June 4-6.

However, let me say this....I used to take my son there at least once a summer. It was a place to go that didn't cost much money and was educational at the same time. I didn't need "advertising" to help me find a place. I realize that nowadays kids want to go to Cedar Point and Michigan Adventure and the like. But as parents, we need to direct our children and grandchildren to the places that show the history of our country. They may not be fancy, but they are fun.

My grandson was part of one of the school groups that spent the night at Fort Wayne and their group raised a large amount of money to assist with reconstruction. They worked at a Culver's Restaurant as servers and all tips earned were turned over to HFWC.

Parents and educators....teach your children about the history of our City before it is all lost.
    AYYYYYmen!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2