Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wow! That was a fascinating story. I loved the display of good sportsmanship by the pitcher after the play was called and by the umpire in his apology. That seems to really show what baseball is about.

Some things in sports transcend sports. This is one. This story will become a part of Detroit lore and legend. It will be gist for discussion for ages. What gives this story even more legs is that it happened on the very last out. Had it happened in the third inning it would have been much less of a story. The fact that the umpire admits he was wrong and Galarraga's graciousness further strengthens and adds poignancy to this event.

Somehow I think the Hall of Fame will eventually grant this game special status and admit it as the perfect game it was, kind of like they do with the veterans committee that rights other wrongs of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    And a lousy thread title with no hint of the subject matter.

oh ok.....you come up with one then. many threads are started with "hints" of subject matter.

back to the subject please.

If you want to contact the commisioner's office to ask Bud Selig to right the wrong and declare it a perfect game, given that the umpire even says he blew the call:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
    Allan H. [[Bud) Selig, Commissioner
    245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
    New York, NY 10167
    Phone: [[212) 931-7800--ask for the public relations department

I wouldn't have felt so angry about this if the play had been closer. But it really wasn't that close a play and it's one that a professional umpire should get right. Joyce [[the umpire) was slightly out of position on the call and looks like he committed an umpiring cardinal sin and 'anticipated' the call, perhaps based on a play that he felt was going to be difficult to make.

Even if one doesn't support replay, the umpires should be able to get together and get a call like this right without fear of 'showing up' one of their colleagues. Where is the crew chief [[Derryl Cousins) on that play? Could the home plate umpire or second base have had a better angle on it?

Having said that, it was heartening to see Joyce's comments after the game. We so rarely get to see the human face of officials, but he was man enough to go public with his admission that the call was in error and make clear his deep regret at having missed the call in such an important situation.

I'm having a tougher time right now [[and yes I know the emotional wound is fresh because it happened to our team) but I can't rightfully understand the call NOT to have some sort of instant replay policy installed.

I'm not saying take the human officiating completely out of the game [[although it could probably be done with technology now), but it's moments like this that are so maddening and wrong that it should pull MLB out of the Dark Ages. They really do need to revamp and update the way the game is called. It's slowly turned by having instant replays of homeruns and needs to find a way for the game itself to correct itself- whether it's the officials themselves [[on and off the field) to make the correct call or involve the teams themselves [[like the NFL).

C'mon Bud. Make it right.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...iew-ump-s-call

Don't be a spineless windsock now. Do the right thing for the game. It's not about your personal ego now. Make it right for the fans, the Tigers organization and even Jim Joyce.

Someone should remember that Cleveland was trying to win a close game. Jason Donald really motored down the line to make the play closer than it should have been. I wonder what the response would have been had Mark Grudzilanek laid down the bunt he tried for a single as first batter in the 9th. "Cheap shot"?

That is a good point though about the umpires getting together. It was not a continuation play, so the opertunity was there for the first base and home plate umpire to converse.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Someone should remember that Cleveland was trying to win a close game. Jason Donald really motored down the line to make the play closer than it should have been. I wonder what the response would have been had Mark Grudzilanek laid down the bunt he tried for a single as first batter in the 9th. "Cheap shot"?
    Unfortunately those "unwritten rules" of the game would've deemed a bunt uncouth. What also makes me wonder is if he had tried this in the say, fourth inning- it would've been completely kosher. At what point of the game [[fifth inning, sixth inning, seventh & beyond) is it considered "cheap" or a legit way to reach base?

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    That is a good point though about the umpires getting together. It was not a continuation play, so the opertunity was there for the first base and home plate umpire to converse.
    I think this is one of the great parts of baseball where it can be paused and reviewed without great detriment to the game. Why not take advantage of these natural pauses during the game and make the correct call? People often joke about how the last few minutes of a basketball game usually lasts for a LOT longer than what's on the game clock and I don't see basketball fans hollering about how the officials didn't exactly try to get it right. The officiating there at least makes an honest attempt to correct things by adding split seconds back onto the clock, going back to video review, conferring on possession, etc..

All I'm asking for is for a way for MLB to make the correct calls.

Ravine Guest

I think MLB & the Players' Association should get on that, Smogboy. There's got to be some way of introducing a limited-use instant-replay option. Spelling out the permissible circumstances, guidelines and limits for usage, etc., would be kinda hairy, but what the hell. They have five goddam months off, every year.

This just in: Joyce was presented with the opportunity to not work Home Plate, today, and he manfully refused that option.
    Not making that up. Just heard it on 97.1.

Baseball does have a "clock" that most people [[including some players and managers) do not realize. The time in baseball's "clock" is measured in units called "outs". If you use up 27 outs, you don't get anymore chances to score runs [[unless the game is tied). This is why On-Base Percentage [[OBP), Grounded Into Double Play [[GIDP), and Caught Stealing [[CS) are such important stats because they measure the ability of a player to avoid "outs".

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I think MLB & the Players' Association should get on that, Smogboy. There's got to be some way of introducing a limited-use instant-replay option. Spelling out the permissible circumstances, guidelines and limits for usage, etc., would be kinda hairy, but what the hell. They have five goddam months off, every year.

This just in: Joyce was presented with the opportunity to not work Home Plate, today, and he manfully refused that option.
    Not making that up. Just heard it on 97.1.
    I think ALL parties involved with baseball need to be involved. This is a decision that affects the core of baseball. The game seriously needs to evolve and MLB needs to step out of its own primordial ooze and learn to walk upright.

Quite honestly Jim Joyce NEEDS to get back to work, and if it's his assignment to get behind the plate, he needs to do it. He's admitted his gaffe already. We can't crucify him him anymore and we need to look to MLB to make sure that other players shouldn't be robbed of their great accomplishments because of human error.

Not a baseball fan but did catch that on the news and radio and WOW. And only happened 20 times ever! At least the guy admitted he goofed.

Let's not forget "the catch".....which seems to have been lost in all this.

There's got to be some way of introducing a limited-use instant-replay option
    At the start of each game, the umpires give each manager a red flag to be thrown onto the field when he chooses to challenge a "safe/out" or "fair/foul" call; video replay will then be used to confirm or overturn the call; if the manager wins the challenge, the flag is returned to him; if he loses the challenge, he surrenders the flag; if the video replay is inconclusive, the flag is returned to him.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    If you want to contact the commisioner's office to ask Bud Selig to right the wrong and declare it a perfect game, given that the umpire even says he blew the call:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
    Allan H. [[Bud) Selig, Commissioner
    245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
    New York, NY 10167
    Phone: [[212) 931-7800--ask for the public relations department
    Thanks for the info, I just called. The guy I spoke with said that he's keeping a tally of the people that call. It will serve as a petition of sorts. Don't worry, no one has to provide any contact information.

I feel really bad about this situation, and in my mind, this was definitely a perfect game, regardless of whether it ends up being recorded officially as a perfect game.

However, I am going to take what might be an unpopular position and state that I do NOT think that the Commissioner should reverse the call. In my view, the most important part of baseball is winning games. As all baseball fans are aware [[and I am sure we could each cite multiple examples), blown umpire calls routinely cost teams entire games, sometimes in the playoffs. If we have not been willing to change those crucial calls, I do not think that we should change this call, either. And even if we change the rule now, I do not think it should apply retroactively to this game, because it would be impractical to apply it to all other games already played this season and that would be unfair.

That said, I do think that MLB needs to consider adopting some kind of replay system to prevent situations like this, as well as those that affect the outcome of games.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Even if one doesn't support replay, the umpires should be able to get together and get a call like this right without fear of 'showing up' one of their colleagues. Where is the crew chief [[Derryl Cousins) on that play? Could the home plate umpire or second base have had a better angle on it?
    Generally, the home plate umpire has the top authority in a game and can overrule the base umps. I don't know why that didn't happen last night, but it didn't. I"ve seen many a game where the umps confer on a play.

I don't think the commissioner will change a ruling on a play without a protest from the Tigers. From what I could tell last night, it seemed that everyone on the playing team took the position of "We're going to chalk it up to human error & move on". Hopefully, someone higher up in the organization like Dembrowski files a protest to try to get this overturned. I know the players are all saying "We know it was a perfect game even though it won't be on the books." I, as a fan, feel gypped because this game won't be "an official perfect game."

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I feel really bad about this situation, and in my mind, this was definitely a perfect game, regardless of whether it ends up being recorded officially as a perfect game.

However, I am going to take what might be an unpopular position and state that I do NOT think that the Commissioner should reverse the call. In my view, the most important part of baseball is winning games. As all baseball fans are aware [[and I am sure we could each cite multiple examples), blown umpire calls routinely cost teams entire games, sometimes in the playoffs. If we have not been willing to change those crucial calls, I do not think that we should change this call, either. And even if we change the rule now, I do not think it should apply retroactively to this game, because it would be impractical to apply it to all other games already played this season and that would be unfair.

That said, I do think that MLB needs to consider adopting some kind of replay system to prevent situations like this, as well as those that affect the outcome of games.
    In 1991, the league overturned about 50 no-hitters. If they can do that, they can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Let's not forget "the catch".....which seems to have been lost in all this.
    Jackson's catch was incredible!

On the "out", I can only hope that the call will be reversed and this will speed up the process on instant reverse.

Meddle, I have to respectfully disagree with you that 'a sports story is a sports story.' Literally EVERY news show this morning--sports or not--has done a story about last night's game. I'd agree with you if this was only a big deal in Detroit, but this has made the national news.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post

cman710, I can still respect this because I think you've made this call based upon the facts and intellect. Emotionally I think we all would like to see the reversal because it'd let Joyce off the hook and would allow Galaragga enter the record books without an asterisk.

Ideally I think the compromise for MLB to do would be to overturn this call today, make last night's game be the watershed and say that within the next few weeks a comprehensive instant replay system gets instituted.

At the time, it seemed like a kick in the nuts but things are working out ok
    one day after. Hell, Armondo gets a new Corvette!
    Hey let's get things in perspective, oil isn't washing up on Michigan beaches!!!

Watching Jim Joyce trying his best to go to work today was impressive. One could tell he's tearing up and still a bit of an emotional wreck from his mistake last night [[who could blame him?). One can only hope he will have a good game today and be relatively invisible as the players shine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast