Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In 1991, the league overturned about 50 no-hitters. If they can do that, they can do this.
    Kraig, I disagree. This is an entirely different situation. The change in 1991 changed the entire definition of what a no-hitter was and applied to all past games in a clear way, whereas this would be creating a rule just to make one specific situation right. Further, it would not be practical to alter the rules to make this a perfect game.

For example, after the 1991 definition change, no-hitters had to be at least nine innings long. So a five inning rained out no-hitter was no longer considered a no-hitter. We could discuss whether that is fair or not, but it was a tightening of the definition of no-hitter that applied generally and objectively. The rule was not changed to alter the classification of any specific game, though it did change the record books. [[For the record, I am not thrilled with changes like this, but I have not fully considered the 1991 changes, so I will not express an opinion at this time.)

Here, you would be making a change to specifically excuse Jim Joyce's awful umpiring error. You would need to alter the definition of perfect game to include something like "or a case in which an umpire's blown call allows a baserunner in what would otherwise be a perfect game." This would be bad for a few reasons. First, carving out rules for specific games does not seem fair, because that has not been done in all kinds of other cases in which an umpire messed things up, including cases that could have cost teams championships [[anyone remember Jeffrey Maier?). Second, this rule could never be applied objectively in the future. What if the call was really close and could have gone either way? Should the umpire be overturned? Probably not.

For these reasons, I do not think we should try to stretch the rules to make it a perfect game. Should we consider instant reply in the future? Definitely. But we should fix things going forward, and not look backward. Otherwise, I think we have an obligation to look at all mistakes in the past in order to be fair, and that is simply impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    cman710, I can still respect this because I think you've made this call based upon the facts and intellect. Emotionally I think we all would like to see the reversal because it'd let Joyce off the hook and would allow Galaragga enter the record books without an asterisk.

Ideally I think the compromise for MLB to do would be to overturn this call today, make last night's game be the watershed and say that within the next few weeks a comprehensive instant replay system gets instituted.
    Thanks. I think the call was awful, and if I was Galaragga, I think I would be upset as long as I remembered the game. It is truly unfair what happened, and I think it really goes to the heart of what we view and being just. No one has ever pitched two perfect games and this was almost certainly his only shot.

Unfortunately, the rules are the rules, and they probably should be changed going forward, but I personally do not think it is fair to try to bend them retroactively to change the result. Hopefully this will serve as some sort of impetus for change in umpiring and review of calls.

I do think it has been nice to see that both Galaragga and Joyce have addressed the issue in a classy way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Sounds like not all the bad decisions weren't made by Jim Joyce.
    Don't you feel better now?

Its okay who needs record books when GM gives you a 2010 Corvette
    http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...Jun/0603_Vette

Here's the problem with overturning the call and saying it was a perfect game with Donald being the last out.

What you'd be saying is that Crowe did not bat, went 0 for 3 instead of 0 for 4. Galarraga tossed 3 less pitches, and the out was not recorded, right? Might as well take Eddie Gadel out of the record books while you're at it. Same argument.

CNN even sides with us Tigers fans:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nnbin&hpt=Sbin

More voices from outside of Detroit are calling for the perfect game designation to be awarded to Galarraga. It's not like a routine 3rd out was miscalled. It's not like a routine through-out at first was mis-called. Something monumental and extremely rare was mis-called and to not correct the error [[that has been admitted by the umpire) would be an injustice to Galarraga and to the fans that witnessed the game.

Selig is considering the request.

I hope Selig overturns the call an gives Gallaraga the perfecto he truely pitched. The umpire admitted he made the mistake it doesn't change the outcome of the game and everyone knows Donald was out. Do the right thing Mr. Selig.

Ugh! Selig refuses to reverse the call. And what a pathetic non-statement he made. http://www.clickondetroit.com/tigers...19/detail.html

It is an insult to baseball IMO.

It was on the front page of the New York Times. I think it's an important enough event to discuss here.

And a note to those pathetic individuals who made threats to Joyce's family- shame on you for being so repugnant and disgusting. The man made a mistake on the job umpiring a GAME [[yes, it's still a game even though it's played by multi-millionaire guys), admitted his mistake nationally, apologized to those he directly affected, and these classless individuals have the nerve to go after the guy's family? Have some sympathy and class at least.

Selig didn't overturn it...too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Selig didn't overturn it...too bad.

I'm wondering if in so many ways, Selig's tentative actions have elevated this game to a higher plane or if it makes this game legendary. Everyone will remember this game as a perfect game. No one can deny it other than the cold heartless record books, but I'd be willing to bet that this game gets an asterisk next to it. I'm still hopeful that this game will also be one of those pivotal games that changed the course of the baseball by forcing MLB to instituting some form of instant replay.

How many people remember the Halladay perfect game this year? How many people remember Dallas Braden's perfect game? What about the other 20 perfect games in history?

This game struck an emotional chord with a lot of people, not just the Tigers faithful regardless of the post game actions of the Commissioner. The one emotion I would like to leave this incident with is the extreme pride I have in Armando Galaragga- and how he dealt with this emotional powder keg. He was the epitome of class in all of this as was his team the day after. I saw how gracious it was for Leyland to appoint Galaragga the person to deliver the line-up card to Joyce. I saw how emotionally inflamed guys like Miguel Cabrera and Gerald Laird patted Joyce at the beginning of the game. If they can forgive Jim Joyce for making this huge gaffe, I think we can as well.

You're absolutely right. This game has already taken on more importance than any of the perfect games. If he called him out, nobody is still talking about this and they're not talking about it on shows like The View. There's an article in the Freep today about controversial calls in Detroit sports history. I still think Henri Richard's cup winning ot goal for Montreal in 1966 when he batted the puck in with his hand past Roger Crozier is the worst call in Detroit sports history. That took the Stanley Cup away. No video replay then.

Good thoughts in this thread. There's a good article in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/04/sp...vecsey.html?hp

My husband, a sports official, notes that people tend to forget that officials are just as much a part of the game as the athletes. Spectators allow athletes to make errors but expect the officiating to be perfect. Officials err just as athletes err.

Despite my initial tongue in cheek response, I was pleased to see how much class this was handled with from just about everyone. Armando has been a true class act all the way. Joyce admitted his mistake, took his medicine and you could clearly see he was choking back tears yesterday. And, Detroit fans showed their class by mostly cheering Joyce when he was walking on the field.

The crowd at the ballpark yesterday was pretty cordial, could you imagine the national bashing that would have happened if the umps were showered with cups? You would have heard the typical "that's Detroit for you" replies.

Agree that Detroit is showing the nation some class at a time when the national discourse is coarsening. Too bad Selig wouldn't reconsider his stance.

Regardless of Selig, the ruling, the record books, nobody can debate that Armando Gallaraga showed true classmanship. I'm sure we could all take a lesson [[or two) from how he handled this situation. Congrats Armando, you made this Detroiter proud as hell!!!

Default GM's Corvette gift to Galarraga...

Curious what Galarraga's salary is. Average MLB salary is around $2M per season? Memo to GM: raffle off cars to the fans, not the players. You need the PR.

His salary is around $450,000. That's a bargain these days. It also meant that $60,000 dollar car still meant something.....as opposed to someone making 10 million a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Curious what Galarraga's salary is. Average MLB salary is around $2M per season? Memo to GM: raffle off cars to the fans, not the players. You need the PR.
    When a fan throws a "near" perfect game, then he or she can have a free car. Until then, get in line with everyone else.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    His salary is around $450,000. That's a bargain these days. It also meant that $60,000 dollar car still meant something.....as opposed to someone making 10 million a year.
    Technically it was a 30,000.00 car because he would have to pay 30,000.00 in taxes on the "gift"

Memo to Al Publican, that got them great PR.

I've been told that I was a "perfect asshole." What sort of free car do I rate?

Wow, no hemorrhoids, huh? Lucky, dude.

Toyota Avalon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast